C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 12:23 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

I've restored many headlight lenses in my time. I thought I would have to replace the ones on my GS also. They were badly "crazed" according to all that I had read here on the forum. In fact, they were not.

The clear coat on the stock lenses is fairly thick. It takes a loooooong time to completely remove it. Just when you think that is is gone, you realize that it's not. I started with 400 and sanded. And sanded, And sanded. I was worried that maybe there was NO clear on them. Eventually, I broke through and could see a place where I reached the actual lens. I ended up breaking out my 3" DA to speed things up with the 400.

Once the original clear was gone, I went to 600 and sanded in one direction to remove all evidence of the 400. Then to 800 in the opposite direction to remove the scratches left by the 600. Then to 800, then again 1000. The lenses still look very dull and foggy. Don't go any higher as the clear coat needs something to bite.

Clean the lenses with isopropyl alcohol and let them dry (about 15 minutes). Then two light coats and 2 heavier coats applied according to the 2K clear instructions. Give it a week or so, then go over them with medium and fine cut compounds to remove any of the small imperfections if you want.

Photos of my restore headlights...
https://i.imgur.com/QVUnKka.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/w6iuAyu.jpg

Last edited by HobbesTiger; 09-02-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:19 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,276 Likes on 927 Posts

I have horizontal crazing on the bottom side of my 2007 lenses. It appears to be on the inside and not on the outside so sanding would most likely not be an option for me. I cannot feel any roughness on the outside of the lens which are otherwise no very good condition. Maybe lens replacement is my only option here. Does anyone else have this situation?
Old 09-04-2022, 06:24 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I have horizontal crazing on the bottom side of my 2007 lenses. It appears to be on the inside and not on the outside so sanding would most likely not be an option for me. I cannot feel any roughness on the outside of the lens which are otherwise no very good condition. Maybe lens replacement is my only option here. Does anyone else have this situation?
Mine looked the same way--as if it was inside of the housing. The outside of my lenses were smooth also. I figured I'd give restoring them a try before spending all that time replacing the lenses. It worked for me. Had it not worked, I would have only been out an hour of sanding. The key is sanding and removing ALL the clear.

BTW, this is the same with the crazing in the transparent roof. Sanding away the clear coat will reveal that the polycarbonate beneath is just fine. Go through the grits and have it UV cleared by a body shop. Brand new crystal clear roof.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:18 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Before

Before

After

After
This is on new addition to my babies 2007 Saturn Sky. About fifteen minutes of able grease and some cut compound. Not done yet I ordered some headlight clear UV spray that's coming tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration