C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken down on side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 01:45 PM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Broken down on side of the road

Put some gas in the car and did a wash and the coin op

leaving the wash my car started to sputter so I pulled over in a parking lot. I realized my parking brake was still engaged (no clue if this is related)

Try to restart and it chugs n chugs but won’t turn over. if I give a little gas it fires but shakes and sounds like it has a cam or giant tractor

unhooked battery for 15 minutes hoping for a reset and still the same.

long shot here but any ideas?

could I have gotten a sensor or something wet? Would a bad batch of gas render the vehicle dead on the road?

Popular Reply

06-06-2023, 11:13 AM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

My youtube watching was helpful and led me in the right direction. It started out with a broken valve spring but it still had some knocking after replacing with new springs.

The noise dictated to remove the heads and have a look at the cam/lifters which checked out OK. After reading thread after thread about broken springs the last few months, i read about a guy who also still had noise after replacing the springs. Turns out the runner on the manifold melted on the cylinder where the spring broke. The valve must have stayed open pouring tons of extra heat into the hole.

I took a look at my manifold and that sucker was melted real good. replaced the manifold and the knock is gone. Threw it on the Dyno to make sure everything was kosher. I can't believe the car has been down since Feb because I didn't check the manifold. Live and learn I guess, but as of yesterday she is back up and running.

I need to snap a photo of the manifold when I go back out to the garage.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:22 PM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts

Were you completely empty??? Did you wash under the hood with pressure???
Old 02-10-2023, 02:30 PM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

It was pretty close to empty but not quite.

all plug wires are connected on each end. Did not wash under the hood

when it did start and ran super rough I could see the tensioner moving a lot. More than I ever have.
I’m not sure if that’s the cause of this incident and the tensioner is failing or if that’s the result of whatever else is going on.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:19 PM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

I also cannot get the top to go back up either which has never happened.

Car was running great and haven’t had mechanical issues in the past. I filled up with gas and went to the coin op car wash next door.

I was going about 20mph and all the sudden it started shaking like it wanted to shut off which makes me think it has to do with the gas.

have stations put diesel in the unleaded tanks before? I know I selected 91 (we don’t have 93 here).

Old 02-10-2023, 04:57 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by AgainstTheWind
Put some gas in the car and did a wash and the coin op

leaving the wash my car started to sputter so I pulled over in a parking lot. I realized my parking brake was still engaged (no clue if this is related)

Try to restart and it chugs n chugs but won’t turn over. if I give a little gas it fires but shakes and sounds like it has a cam or giant tractor

unhooked battery for 15 minutes hoping for a reset and still the same.

long shot here but any ideas?

could I have gotten a sensor or something wet? Would a bad batch of gas render the vehicle dead on the road?
I also cannot get the top to go back up either which has never happened.

Car was running great and haven’t had mechanical issues in the past. I filled up with gas and went to the coin op car wash next door.

I was going about 20mph and all the sudden it started shaking like it wanted to shut off which makes me think it has to do with the gas.

have stations put diesel in the unleaded tanks before? I know I selected 91 (we don’t have 93 here).
If your top won't go up, that suggests an electrical problem. It may or may not be related to the engine probem. You may have left a battery terminal loose.
The following users liked this post:
blownbayou (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 05:14 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 272 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Since you disconnected the battery you must reindex the windows, otherwise the power top will not work. From the manual:
Power Window Initialize:
After a power reconnect such as battery replacement, the window index-up feature will not function until the system is initialized. Once power is restored, do the following:
1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the window is closed. Release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds and release.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Harry:
AgainstTheWind (02-10-2023), wjnjr (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 05:50 PM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

Top is fine after a few minutes it clicked I needed to index windows after trying to reset everything with the battery disconnect. Thanks for the reminder

I wish the other problem was just as simple to fix

I have a elm327 Bluetooth to plug in the obd2 but have read they don’t connect with iPhones to read codes.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:42 AM
Corvette_Dez
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Is your air filter wet from the wash? Is anything else under the hood wet? Bad gas can cause issues but sounds like a wet air filter.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corvette_Dez:
C6in816 (02-12-2023), Diamonddave60 (02-11-2023), LightningBrett (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 07:12 AM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

Would that mean hydro lock? Is it possible for that much water to get near the filter after a wash?

I never opened the hood at all during the wash. I can see a few splashes maybe getting in from the front or underneath but enough to cause hydrolock?

I still haven’t been able to find someone near by with a code reader or tech 2. Should I drain the oil and see if there is water?
Old 02-11-2023, 07:33 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 593 Posts

I take my GS coupe to the coin car wash all the time and spray everywhere with the hood closed and never had the first hiccup. I think that's a red herring. I have had a plug wire fall off and the engine run like crap, the dash light up with all kinds of warnings, etc. I would start with simple things first. Double check the plug wires, change the plugs, check the battery, starter, ground connections, etc.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:51 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,768 Likes on 3,037 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I doubt that a coin op wash spray wand would cause any issues, a tank of bad gas maybe?
Diamonddave60 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:07 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,158 Posts

As a club member found out, get enough water on the ECM and its wiring and it will cause problems. The ECM sits low and right behind the passenger side wheel house liner. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-location.html
Were you using the high pressure wash against the fender liners? Looks easy enough to check and to clean the connections there.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
Corvette_Dez (02-11-2023), K03 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:20 AM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
As a club member found out, get enough water on the ECM and its wiring and it will cause problems. The ECM sits low and right behind the passenger side wheel house liner. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-location.html
Were you using the high pressure wash against the fender liners? Looks easy enough to check and to clean the connections there.
I was def spraying the fenders but no more than I have every other time I’ve washed. Being a grand sport it has the open vents there so I guess that’s something to check on. Ty
Old 02-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Corvette_Dez
Pro

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I take my GS coupe to the coin car wash all the time and spray everywhere with the hood closed and never had the first hiccup. I think that's a red herring. I have had a plug wire fall off and the engine run like crap, the dash light up with all kinds of warnings, etc. I would start with simple things first. Double check the plug wires, change the plugs, check the battery, starter, ground connections, etc.
"A red herring is a logical fallacy in which irrelevant information is presented alongside relevant information, distracting attention from that relevant information. This may be done intentionally or unintentionally. A red herring is often used in movies, television and literature."
Nah, definitely not so. You must have missed the part where he said he checked his wires. Also, I just changed my plugs and wires, and that was sooooo much easier than checking an air filter? ^^
Does he have a CAI in front of the radiator? How much did he spray the front bumper?

Old 02-11-2023, 08:50 AM
Corvette_Dez
Pro

Would that mean hydro lock? Is it possible for that much water to get near the filter after a wash?

I never opened the hood at all during the wash. I can see a few splashes maybe getting in from the front or underneath but enough to cause hydrolock?

I still haven’t been able to find someone near by with a code reader or tech 2. Should I drain the oil and see if there is water?
You can check the oil dipstick for water in the oil. i would start with checking if the air filter is wet along with what Fats said about the passenger foot well area.
Diamonddave60 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:55 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 508 Likes on 312 Posts

Just to be sure...DID YOU TWIST YOUR GAS CAP ON PROPERLY after filling with gas, before going to the high pressure wash??? This could cause all kinds of problems. However, more than likely you experienced water entering your air intake by deflecting on the lower front end opening, up into the motor) or water on an old cracked spark plug cable etc...
Corvette_Dez (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:16 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 593 Posts

I was def spraying the fenders but no more than I have every other time I’ve washed. Being a grand sport it has the open vents there so I guess that’s something to check on. Ty
Those vents are not open from the factory so unless it's been modified they are closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken down on side of the road

Old 02-11-2023, 06:18 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 309 Likes on 222 Posts

Sounds like bad gas, or water in gas (not from the car wash) to me. Was the gas station just getting a fresh load of gas, if so the water buildup at the bottom of the inground gas tanks gets churned up while the tanker is filling the inground tanks. From your description, it sounds like the gas station and car wash are on the same property. The old gas in the Corvette is in the gas lines, and it takes a few minutes of the engine running before the new gas fills the gas lines. Take a sample of the gas from the fuel rail in a glass jar, see what it looks like. Call the gas station to see if they have had some complaints of bad gas.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigBlok502:
Corvette_Dez (02-11-2023), Phil Zell (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 07:59 PM
AgainstTheWind
Racer

Went to the waste management tournament and got hammered instead of looking at the car. I will take a look at it tomorrow and update.

thanks for the suggestions and ideas
Corvette_Dez (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:46 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,123 Likes on 768 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Went to the waste management tournament and got hammered instead of looking at the car. I will take a look at it tomorrow and update.

thanks for the suggestions and ideas
Wow, your braver than me, I just watched it on tv. Looks like a great time but the older I get the less enthusiastic I am about surfing the sea of humanity. Barrett Jackson’s and Goodguys is about my speed.

I’m tied up the next couple days but I do have a tech 2 if you need it.
The following 2 users liked this post by SixAddict:
AgainstTheWind (02-12-2023), Corvette_Dez (02-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Broken down on side of the road