C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the C7 style headlights decrease the value of the C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:10 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Bottom line, there wouldn’t be a thread here if there wasnt some effect on the car..

Peoples opinions matter, gm designed them (people’s opinions).. i dont question gm.. bad or good u live with the design

My Z had some checking and clouding and i used a headlight restorer kit and back to beautiful..

Also, if my car came with c7s (it wouldn’t cause its a Z!) i would have been SO happy to replace them with CLOUDY oem(i can fix em anyway)

Old 05-08-2023, 11:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,595 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Originally Posted by thebarzeen
Depends on your audience.... I got my car at 38 years old and wanted a car that's fun to drive. I want a sports car, not a collector car, so when I was looking for a car I considered the updated lights to be a plus. I ended up buying a car that had stock headlights that were faded and replacing them with the Morimotos. To me, it's a more modern look and still fits the car nicely. I'm sure to a different eye it looks different.

If you're that worried about it, keep the originals and include in the sale.

But, that's also why I opted for Morimotos instead of the cheaper options. Even if they ended up functionally too similar to tell apart, at least if I'm selling a car with a high end replacement it's not a red flag that I was cheap with the car. If I go to sell the car and it's loaded up with ebay knock offs that might be a red flag to a buyer that I tried to cut corners with the car.... again, maybe that's just me.
Older guys definitely do seem to prefer the morimoto lights. Not sure why, but I've noticed the older folks do seem to prefer them to the OEMs.

Since I started my family I haven't driven my c6 at night because if I'm out after dark we usually have the kids, but if I did I would opt for one of the LED projector retrofit options. Would be tough to decide between quad bi-LED or bi-LED and a purpose built HB. I have this setup in my TBSS and it's killer.
The following users liked this post:
sonik_fury (05-10-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 11:31 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Older guys definitely do seem to prefer the morimoto lights. Not sure why, but I've noticed the older folks do seem to prefer them to the OEMs.

Since I started my family I haven't driven my c6 at night because if I'm out after dark we usually have the kids, but if I did I would opt for one of the LED projector retrofit options. Would be tough to decide between quad bi-LED or bi-LED and a purpose built HB. I have this setup in my TBSS and it's killer.
When I was getting my car through the IM readyness(emissions), the only time I had to drive it was at night(kids + 50hr/wk job).. I had A LOT of fun on the freeway, no problems seeing and actually was impressed at the lights..

Eventually decided that night driving isnt for me, the car is too low and too fast, concerns of not being seen by other drivers in around town street driving..
sonik_fury (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 07:32 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by GEspo
When I was getting my car through the IM readyness(emissions), the only time I had to drive it was at night(kids + 50hr/wk job).. I had A LOT of fun on the freeway, no problems seeing and actually was impressed at the lights..

Eventually decided that night driving isnt for me, the car is too low and too fast, concerns of not being seen by other drivers in around town street driving..
I swapped to morimotos because I liked the look. I agree with you. I found nothing wrong with the light output on oem lights.
sonik_fury (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 08:12 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,517 Likes on 1,714 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

To me the C6 is to mass produced to ever really obtain any collector value other than some very rare examples (low production color zr1s, carbon z06s, Lingefelter/Callaways, ect). I wouldnt get hung up on devaluing your car through mods. Make it what you want it to be, if your worried about it hang on to your stock lights and you can always switch it back. I personally have never loved the Moris, I prefer the carbides myself. I went another route though and rebuilt my stockers with carbon fiber buckets and LED projectors. I think having a contrasting color like black or carbon in the bucket really modernizes the look of the car.
Redsoxnation (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 08:24 AM
Redsoxnation
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 144 Posts

‘Bottom line, there wouldn’t be a thread here if there wasn’t some effect on the car..‘. The essence of the tread is to determine if there is in fact an effect on the value of the vehicle if the headlights are replaced with C7 / C8 style headlights. Up to this point there is only conjecture, no evidence of vehicle value variation. I went to a cars and coffee this past weekend, there were about ten C6 Corvettes, the only one with upgraded headlights was mine. Although this is a small sample size, headlight upgrades to C7 / C8 style is minimal.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:47 AM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 208 Posts

I keep all my stock parts unless I need the space for some reason. Shoot, I put a nice CAI in my '11 2SS Camaro and I still have the huge OEM stock intake somewhere around here. That said, I cannot stand the aftermarket headlights for the C6. There is a guy around my area with a nice C6Z with the Morimoto's and I cringe when I see it around town.

As far as resale goes, I don't think it hurts it too much. A lot of people like the modern look. There are probably a few like me who wouldn't touch it unless it was a good enough deal to purchase OEM's and deal w/ the install.

To each their own but I'm staying stock.

Quick Reply: Do the C7 style headlights decrease the value of the C6