C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB not detected

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 10:43 AM
rebeitler
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FOB not detected

OK guys, first it has been years since I was last on the Forum. I still own my 05 C6, and after the debacle years ago concerning the shocks, everything has been decent and I still love this car. I recently got my Vette out of the garage for this summer and ran into a new issue. FOB not detected on the DIC. I replaced the batteries in both FOB's to no avail. If I put FOB in the glovebox slot the car starts and runs just fine. Now a little more info that I think is relevant.
1. The battery was beyond dead a week ago. My charger wouldn't even recognize that I had a battery hooked up to it. The battery wasn't old so i took it into the autoparts store and they charged it for me. Checked it and it reads 12.59 volts DC.
2. Leading up to this FOB issue I noticed a parasitic draw on the battery. (I am aware the car must be in reverse when parked) I tracked the parasitic draw down to a change I had made 10+ years ago to the Sirius XN antenna. Replaced XM with an auxiliary jack.
However, I found at least one wire had rubbed through the insulation and was possibly rubbing on the XM module creating a short. I believe. I removed the aux cable I had added years ago and reconnected all original wires with plenty of heat shrink tubing. No leakage or short now.

So now the battery is reading a little less than a quarter amp of draw when car is shut off and computer is asleep. Is it possible that my battery went so dead that it had a negative effect on the FOB's or the computer in car looking for a signal from the FBOB's? If that is the case can the FOB's be saved and how would one go about fixing them?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:42 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rebeitler
FOB not detected
1. The battery was beyond dead a week ago.
Replace the car battery with a new one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vette_DD:
John 511 (06-07-2023), rebeitler (06-05-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:37 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

If the fobs work in the slot, there’s nothing wrong with their electronics. The fob batteries may be dead, or if you replaced them, inserted upside down. A fresh battery should read 3.3 volts. They’re dead at 2.7, so I’d replace them at 3.1 since they’re cheap enough. If you do replace them test to make sure they haven’t died on the shelf. The dead car battery would have no effect on the fobs in any case.

However, from what I read, a parasitic draw of 20 milliamps is normal. If you have a quarter amp draw, that’s 250 milliamps so about 10 times, so maybe everything that could be asleep wasn’t asleep when you measured it, or there’s still a problem.
The following users liked this post:
rebeitler (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:54 AM
rebeitler
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fob IS detected!!!

Good morning guys, I can’t believe this but after the last post, I decided I would check these new batteries that I literally put into these devices one week ago. These were energizer batteries, bought at a local hardware store, and both were dead. So I did buy new batteries, and everything is working perfectly! Thanks for all the replies I appreciate the help. Now I can get this car back on the road. Awesome!
Landru (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:54 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Good. Easy low cost fix. I’ve been buying Sony batteries from Amazon for a while, and the sleeves they come in show something like a 10 year expiry date going forward. I’ve never had any of them DOA, and they certainly last in the fobs at least 3 years, at which point I change them out just for piece of mind. I also keep one in my wallet.
rebeitler (06-07-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To FOB not detected

Quick Reply: FOB not detected