C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunnel heat solution ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 08:13 AM
Suehog6060
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tunnel heat solution ?

I have seen all the options posted for tunnel heat solutions but have not seen any post with this product. This product clamps onto the exhaust pipe and provide an air gap.
The winter project is pulling interior out and applying more sound deadener from seats back and heat protection on the tunnel.
I considered added a second stock tunnel plate with spacers to create an air gap but that doesn't cover the sides of the tunnel, which you can feel inside.
I like this product because it isn't a "stick-on" and my concern is the thicker plate with insulation reflects some heat but also traps it inside the tunnel after a long drive.
I ordered 1 unit to see if it will fit and will get more if it does.,

Old 12-25-2023, 09:14 AM
1 MEAN66
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Never put my hand there to check it, on this car or any other vehicle I have ever owned. Does it cause a problem? If so ?
Old 12-25-2023, 09:21 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Suehog6060
I have seen all the options posted for tunnel heat solutions but have not seen any post with this product. This product clamps onto the exhaust pipe and provide an air gap.
The winter project is pulling interior out and applying more sound deadener from seats back and heat protection on the tunnel.
I considered added a second stock tunnel plate with spacers to create an air gap but that doesn't cover the sides of the tunnel, which you can feel inside.
I like this product because it isn't a "stick-on" and my concern is the thicker plate with insulation reflects some heat but also traps it inside the tunnel after a long drive.
I ordered 1 unit to see if it will fit and will get more if it does.,

This should help, but exh heat is only one part of the problem. A lot of heat comes from the torque tube.

I dropped the exh, removed T plate, insulated the inside of the tunnel above & either side of TT . Insulated the inside of T plate, reinstalled it, then insulated the bottom of Tplate & lower tunnel sides. Reinstalled exhaust. Probably 75% reduction in heat.
The following users liked this post:
cyclesailor955 (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 10:06 AM
psheldon
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed an Elite Engineering 1/4 inch tunnel plate with ceramic coating on one side and a composite thermal pad on the other. It solved my problem with heat migration from the exhaust pipes on my 2012 GS.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Suehog6060
Advanced

I will likely have to drop the exhaust to install the heat shield so will drop the plate and insulate the inside of the tunnel while I am there.
jost6453 (12-25-2023)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Suehog6060
Advanced

Got the exhaust pipe insulation installed and do believe it will be effective. There is just enough clearance to install it w/o removing exhaust.
Hardware is stainless steel and has air gaps on both sides of insulation.

hawkgfr (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:41 AM
Bek Bek
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the exhaust pipe insulation installed and do believe it will be effective. There is just enough clearance to install it w/o removing exhaust.
let us know of the results also am looking at where I can buy insulation for inside the arm rest compartment and cup holders.
cthusker (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:23 AM
Dreamer2
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Also curious of it's effectiveness. Trying to avoid pulling interior out. #1 complaint of my C6 is cabin heat.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:56 AM
Suehog6060
Advanced

I live in South Dakota so it will be a few months before I can test it.
I did the full interior out and insulation on my previous C5. The insulation helped but I didn't like how the carpet, console, seats fit together afterwards. Seats were tight against the carpet, etc..

Get notified of new replies

To Tunnel heat solution ?

Quick Reply: Tunnel heat solution ?