C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 12:35 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,949 Likes on 4,313 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
For sure that won't be me. I'm having a difficult time with spending over $100K on ANY Corvette let alone over $200K (not that I couldn't). When I first built a car on the configurator back when they were first introduced, my car came in at close to $120K. I paid half that for my 2010 ZR1 with only 12K miles on it.
Realistically, $80-85k is my threshold for automobile purchases. I just don't see any point spending more than that for our use. I wanted an Inferno Orange Carbon Z06 from the moment I saw it announced way back, but the msrp was $100,095. My Callaway had an original sticker price of $125,350. I would not have paid that.

I did pay $58k for my car with 17k mi, and got the IOM Carbon I always wanted with the bonus of it being an extremely rare Callaway car.

My wife's X3M Competition had a a sticker of $89,700. We paid $65k for it a year old with 15k mi. She wants to trade it for an X5M that starts at $125k - no way. There's no reason to pay double for the performance and features she already has.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:47 PM
rainmaker gs
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Buck-toothed Beemer

Originally Posted by JABCAT
If they do, the price will be so outrageous, very few will be produced. At the end of the day it's still a $59,999 Stingray with the same low-grade interior materials, same build quality, same crappy service departments. People who spend that much on a Chevrolet are definitely interesting.

My M2 fully loaded (minus carbon fiber pkg) was under $70k. An equivalently-equipped Stingray is $100k. The M2 has similar performance out-of-the-box as the SR (for 99% of drivers), can be easily & cheaply modded for significantly more power, has better build quality, better materials, better dealer experience. Yes they're different classes of cars so not apples to apples.

Someone mentioned in another thread how the M2 is a souped-up cheap 2-series. Well the Z06, ERay, Zora, is just a souped-up Stingray, and I don't think the very small increases in performance justify the drastic prices. But that's just me.

At the end of the day, it's still a buck-toothed, ugly-a$$ Beemer. people don't look over at an M2 (M3, M4, etc) and smile; they do for my C6 GS.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:01 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I just hope ERay tuning/modding is a thing and they didnt handicap that too. 1000hp awd c8 sounds fun to me lol... hopefully hp tuners gets into the trans soon and people can start building the hard parts to support horsepower.
keep in mind, it's not a 1000hp AWD car, it's a 900hpRWD one with a 100hp front wheel drive electric motor (numbers are made up don't nitpick them, I don't care).

This isn't a GTR type car with the power flowing to all 4 wheels, the vast majority of it is going to just 2 wheels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ZR1 just comes with the E-Ray stuff right off the bat. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the stingray is dropped entirely, with the E-Ray being turned into a PHEv to satisfy regulations.

We live in dark times, unless the EPA massively rolls back regulations under a new administration, the auto industry is doomed. But a lot of automakers seem to be signing up to agree to abide by the rules that will break them even if they get rolled back. Im sure that's a non-binding agreement, but it's also setting them up for failure.
The following users liked this post:
Vettelagged (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 01:03 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmaker gs
At the end of the day, it's still a buck-toothed, ugly-a$$ Beemer. people don't look over at an M2 (M3, M4, etc) and smile; they do for my C6 GS.
M2 is on the short list of cars I would trade my C6 GS for. M2 didn't get the hideous front end of the M3/4. The newest one isn't exactly beautiful (the previous gen was much prettier), but it's a nice looking and aggressive looking car that does so many things that you simply can't get in any other new car.
JABCAT (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 01:23 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by rainmaker gs
cool story bro. Tell me you know nothing about BMWs without telling me you know nothing about BMWs.

1. I was comparing it to a C8 Stingray, not a C6. 2. There is an enormous BMW M community all over the world with significantly more people in it who love BMW vehicles than those that love C6 Corvettes.

I get a heck of a lot of positive comments on my M2, and have yet to receive a negative comment. Oh, and I still have my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. So what was your point again?
StayinStock (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 01:28 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by FAUEE
keep in mind, it's not a 1000hp AWD car, it's a 900hpRWD one with a 100hp front wheel drive electric motor (numbers are made up don't nitpick them, I don't care).

This isn't a GTR type car with the power flowing to all 4 wheels, the vast majority of it is going to just 2 wheels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ZR1 just comes with the E-Ray stuff right off the bat.
And the batteries need to recharge. While they apparently do relatively quickly, if they don't, you just have the same 490 hp LT2 pushing an even heavier car.

None of the spy photos show the ZR1 with the ERay items up front.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:28 PM
rainmaker gs
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 😜

cool story bro. Tell me you know nothing about BMWs without telling me you know nothing about BMWs.

1. I was comparing it to a C8 Stingray, not a C6. 2. There is an enormous BMW M community all over the world with significantly more people in it who love BMW vehicles than those that love C6 Corvettes.

I get a heck of a lot of positive comments on my M2, and have yet to receive a negative comment. Oh, and I still have my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. So what was your point again?
I know all I need to about BMWs, you have proven my point well. Thank you
Old 03-29-2024, 02:09 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,483 Likes on 796 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Unfortunately for you GS fans, I think the ERay will be the C6/C7 GS equivalent. I can't see GM/Chevy adding another C8 in their line up other than the possible ZR1. Both the C6 and C7 were held to four iterations (base, GS, Z06, ZR1). I don't see the C8 being any different.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:58 PM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,375 Likes on 1,638 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I’m in the m2 is a sexy car camp… I debated picking up an 18 m2 comp for a daily awhile back but… dc winters ugh. BMW has done some cool **** the last few years, rather the general population on here think so or not lol 😂. I’d gladly trade ya stables jab. Post pics of said m2 so those of us with fine taste can drool!
Old 03-29-2024, 03:20 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I’m in the m2 is a sexy car camp… I debated picking up an 18 m2 comp for a daily awhile back but… dc winters ugh. BMW has done some cool **** the last few years, rather the general population on here think so or not lol 😂. I’d gladly trade ya stables jab. Post pics of said m2 so those of us with fine taste can drool!
Over 1,700 hp in the stable and you can order an M2 with a manual.

M seats so much better than my Z06 3LZ seats in material, comfort, and fit/holding you in place. Oh and they were standard. I think they're better than the C8 seats as well.
Vettelagged (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:27 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I doubt they'd do a c8 in the GRAND SPORT version since the Grand Sport has wider body panels etc .The c8 doesn't need to be any wider then it is.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:45 PM
Vettelagged
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

M seats so much better than my Z06 3LZ seats in material, comfort, and fit/holding you in place. Oh and they were standard. I think they're better than the C8 seats as well.
Black wheels all the way across!!!!

I'm glad to be joining that club.
JABCAT (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 06:27 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 485 Likes on 266 Posts

Very nice!
One more toy and you'll need to add another garage.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:58 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I doubt they'd do a c8 in the GRAND SPORT version since the Grand Sport has wider body panels etc .The c8 doesn't need to be any wider then it is.
The ERay, Z06 & upcoming ZR1 all have wider bodies than the Stingray. So they already have the panels in production. They would need a different emblem and a different style wheel - that's it.

Originally Posted by cal45
Very nice!
One more toy and you'll need to add another garage.
I'm in the process of deciding what to do for my son's Jeep. Either another garage or covered parking pad (most likely covered pad). We get too much hail here, so I like everything to be parked inside or covered.

cal45 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:53 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 839 Likes on 489 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not a fan of the C8....basically a copied Ferrari engine (a good way to go, copy one of the best), however to me the rear end styling is absolutely horrible. No manual transmission is one of the many reasons I would not buy a C8. WAYYYYYYY out of my price range anyway. Retired for 18 years, and loving it in my S/C'd LS7 powered 2007 narrow body
Old 03-30-2024, 03:12 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE

We live in dark times, unless the EPA massively rolls back regulations under a new administration, the auto industry is doomed. But a lot of automakers seem to be signing up to agree to abide by the rules that will break them even if they get rolled back. Im sure that's a non-binding agreement, but it's also setting them up for failure.
One thing's for sure, if the government makes good on its promise to restrict all new car sales to EV after 2030, then the prices on these ICE vehicles could skyrocket. That is, of course, assuming we can still get gasoline for them. Hopefully they keep E85 at least because I may convert my Grand Sport to flex fuel like I had on my ZR1 when I add a supercharger.

Quick Reply: C8 Grand Sport?