C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 03:35 PM
PAPAYOYO
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts
Default X-pipe

Hello everyone..Question .. The X-pipe...? My question is what is the difference between the stock X-pipe and an aftermarket. For example Corsa X-pipe? An X is an X no?

Thanks

""AMYONE""😆
Old 03-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,041 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Either X or H pipe, and just equalizes the exhaust pressure across the two pipes from any back pressure at the mufflers.
As for which is better in design, with the few HP that one can gain over the other, really does not matter in the end.

To maters even worse, have the later models that they added a second set of cats in the X pipes, and since they where added before the cross over points, any equalizes is happen after them that make even less of a difference (add in that the Tunes where changed with the 4 set cat cars run even leaner, so less horsepower from the OEM retunes as well.

As for different models, the z06 runs a 3" cross over pipe, while the base cars run a 2-3/4" cross over pipe instead. Does the cross over pipe size make that much of a difference, not really, since the part of the Z06 is it stock exhaust manifold, is really a shorty header in design, and where it making the exhaust only gain horse power instead.

So unless you are going to headers to gain horsepower by the way that can pull more exhaust from the cylinders,

So the size and type of the cross over pipe after the exhaust manifold is going to make not much of a difference in the end.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:07 PM
1 MEAN66
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There is of course a difference between X pipe and H pipe. I do not know the specifics of a Corsa X and a factory X but I am willing to bet Corsa does! things like inside diameter, how large the actual opening is , thickness of material, what is the difference in the type/grade of the material. I have a stock H pipe on ours and a set of Corsa rear mufflers - their quietest ones. Depending on what you do is at what RPM you get improvements, and how large those improvements are. Call them, I assume they would tell you what they did and why they did it. Tell them what you want it to accomplish. Ours is almost as quiet as factory, until you step on the loud pedal. We Wife and I are not interested in more HP than what it already has (08 LS3 Rag). A bit of quality sound makes ya feel good, and we have one with an exhaust that can wake up the neighbors, but it usually only goes a 1/4 at a time.

Last edited by 1 MEAN66; 03-28-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:02 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 335 Posts

Without the long winded explanation, it’s likely pipe diameter and lack of resonators.

i looked at getting a midpipe at one point and just decided to wait until I was ready for longtubes instead of wasting money to replace it again.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:12 PM
1 MEAN66
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Our 08 has no resonators and did not receive the updated mid pipe recall, which changed the H-pipe to X pipe but also added two more cats. So what we have is stock manifolds and front cats, H- Pipe then the Corsa Sport rear muffler "over axle" assemblies. Foot Not into the throttle VERY Little sound, Lean on it very nice deep tone, Stand on it and it "breathes" pretty well. Any restriction still left is in the stock manifolds to the H-Pipe. It has enough performance for the wife, and if you "push the button: ( kill traction control) it can get stupid quick. Witch she does not need , and pushing the button will exceed her skill level, to panic and hit the brakes. Our 66 is a 493 ( 689HP-675Lbft ) at 600Lbft from 2900RPM to reline at 6800RPM, mid tube headers to 3 inch straight tubing, to 14' Delta 40's and down spouts about the rear seat area. It has quit a bark. The Vette is very comfortable, mostly quiet gets 29-30mpg and of course can go around corners.

Get notified of new replies

To X-pipe

Quick Reply: X-pipe