C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transport....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 08:21 AM
rebeltruce
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Transport....

So next Thursday I'm picking up a new to me C6 in Nebraska and driving back to Virginia. I'm told by NE DMV that they don't require or issue any sort of temp tags, so long as I have a signed BOS and title I'm good to go for 30 days. In Virginia, they issue a transport permit good a 15 day window with the actual window being 3 days based on when the BOS is signed, but no plate.

I'm a bit concerned driving 1700 miles with no plate. I think the chances of getting pulled over by LEO are high. Anyone have any experience with this? I'll tape the transport paperwork in the left rear window per the rules....but still am concerned.... The car will be insured, and I'll have all that paperwork...

Old 03-29-2024, 08:34 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,375 Likes on 1,638 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think as long as you have the paperwork you'd be fine once you got pulled over but I would think you'll def get pulled over... But even then you gotta worry if the LEO is going to buy it or not know the actual law. I could def see it being a pain in the *** and going sideways if you get the wrong cop... Maybe see if VA DMV can write you a temp?
The following users liked this post:
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 08:46 AM
rebeltruce
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I think as long as you have the paperwork you'd be fine once you got pulled over but I would think you'll def get pulled over... But even then you gotta worry if the LEO is going to buy it or not know the actual law. I could def see it being a pain in the *** and going sideways if you get the wrong cop... Maybe see if VA DMV can write you a temp?
Unfortunately all VA offers is the transport permit, which I have. No plate of any kind until i get back and register the car. Gonna be interesting I guess. I do have the Virginia plate for my 2019 Z....but I think putting that on the C6 would get me in more trouble if I got pulled over.....

Old 03-29-2024, 08:51 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,375 Likes on 1,638 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rebeltruce
Unfortunately all VA offers is the transport permit, which I have. No plate of any kind until i get back and register the car. Gonna be interesting I guess. I do have the Virginia plate for my 2019 Z....but I think putting that on the C6 would get me in more trouble if I got pulled over.....
yeah thats fair too... def a tricky situation... I think i may take my chances with the other plate if I were you. Atleast youll draw less attention
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:30 AM
Sfarms
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will be fine without a plate , especially with the temporary transport documentation. I think that's easier to explain than a false plate on the car. Turn up the radio and you won't hear the sirens.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:38 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfarms
I think you will be fine without a plate , especially with the temporary transport documentation. I think that's easier to explain than a false plate on the car. Turn up the radio and you won't hear the sirens.
And punch it, you can lose them
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:42 AM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 575 Likes on 335 Posts

It’s gonna be fine. Just show a bill of sale and be on your way, but unless you are being stupid, you are not going to get pulled over for no plate.
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:44 AM
rebeltruce
Heel & Toe

Agreed....with regard to using my other plate.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:46 AM
rebeltruce
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PMPerformance
It’s gonna be fine. Just show a bill of sale and be on your way, but unless you are being stupid, you are not going to get pulled over for no plate.
Now why would I be acting stupid with a new to me Z06, and plenty of room to test her out on the interstate.....lol
PMPerformance (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
C6_Prodigy
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 214 Posts

Does the car currently have NE plates on it? If so, maybe the seller would be willing to leave them on the car? I bought a truck in NE and drove it back to Indiana with the NE plates that the seller let me keep. When I bought the Corvette from NJ, the guy initially didn't want to leave me the plates in case I blew through tolls, but eventually let me keep them when I offered him $100 and to mail them back. Not an ideal way to blow $100 but seemed like the best option to get the car home at the time.

I agree with not putting on a plate from another car. That's probably less likely to get you pulled over but if you do get pulled over, definitely not a good situation to be in.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6_Prodigy:
rebeltruce (03-29-2024), Vettelagged (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:05 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 985 Likes on 632 Posts

You have the paperwork so just drive it and enjoy your ride home.
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Vettelagged
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

My parents back in 2000 bought a Lexus RX300 in Cali and had me drive it back to NJ. Same scenario as you are talking about.... I was pulled over by Tennessee troopers, every state has different laws regarding this, they were not familiar with NJ or Cali laws but saw that everything was in order and let me go hassle free. But yes a new Lexus with no tags will raise a few brows, so will a C6. And with tinted window, you may not be able to see the paperwork on the rear window. I would say you should be ok as long as you're not doing anything stupid.

I had a similar experience as C6 Prodigy, buying a car in Texas driving to NY. Texas would only issue a one way permit for neighboring states. The previous owner let me and my buddy drive to NY with his plates
rebeltruce (03-29-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Transport....

Quick Reply: Transport....