C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GS - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:30 PM
Pettrix
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
While they can go out, if he's replaced "quite a few of them", he has ripped off a lot of people replacing shocks that are perfectly fine.
He's not that type of mechanic to purposely replace parts that are not needing to be replaced and he doesn't rip people off.

He said the mag ride shocks he replaced in his career needed to be replaced as they were leaking badly and I think he mentioned something about a code was thrown.

He inspected this C6 and let me know what was going on with it. He mentioned oil seepage around one shock that he said could be of concern but that it was still functioning. The other he said had some oil but not of concern at this time.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:42 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Pettrix
He's not that type of mechanic to purposely replace parts that are not needing to be replaced and he doesn't rip people off.

He said the mag ride shocks he replaced in his career needed to be replaced as they were leaking badly and I think he mentioned something about a code was thrown.

He inspected this C6 and let me know what was going on with it. He mentioned oil seepage around one shock that he said could be of concern but that it was still functioning. The other he said had some oil but not of concern at this time.
That's not what you said before. Seems fishy.

The mechanic looked the car over today. Here is his report:
  • One of the magnetic ride shocks is leaking, another has a very slight leak ($500 per shock plus labor to install)
So the car needs tires ($2k) and 2 mag ride shocks ($1k). That's $3k that the car needs to address the issues. We shall see if the dealer is willing to negotiate the price based on those issues.
The following users liked this post:
Vettelagged (04-19-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 01:48 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

You guys are getting dangerously close to getting into a pissing match about whether or not the shocks are seeping, leaking, dripping or just moist. It doesn't really matter at this point, it's really just a bargaining point (as are the tires) for the OP and the dealer. The OP needs to decide how much he/she is will to pay, and set that limit.

When I bought my low mileage C6 with original tires, the response from the dealer was "yeah, they're old, but they look fine". Rocks look good too, until they kill you.

Basically, any dealer is going to have the advantage, they know the market, they know what they've got, they know how much interest there has been in it and they know what it's worth. Our job is to try and get as close as we can to their lowest number. The more "ammo" the better for negotiations, but unfortunately, often logic has nothing to do with it.

Best of luck.
Pettrix (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 01:55 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
You guys are getting dangerously close to getting into a pissing match about whether or not the shocks are seeping, leaking, dripping or just moist. It doesn't really matter at this point, it's really just a bargaining point (as are the tires) for the OP and the dealer. The OP needs to decide how much he/she is will to pay, and set that limit.

When I bought my low mileage C6 with original tires, the response from the dealer was "yeah, they're old, but they look fine". Rocks look good too, until they kill you.

Basically, any dealer is going to have the advantage, they know the market, they know what they've got, they know how much interest there has been in it and they know what it's worth. Our job is to try and get as close as we can to their lowest number. The more "ammo" the better for negotiations, but unfortunately, often logic has nothing to do with it.

Best of luck.
The only one who just threw fuel on that fire is you. Everyone here is making sure the OP is making an informed decision. And when the OP (or the mechanic in this case) contradicts himself, then that's a huge red flag.

But, whatever. You're right. It doesn't matter. It's not my money. Carry on.
Vettelagged (04-19-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 05:02 PM
Pettrix
Racer

Sometimes these forums are a great resource tool, other times, things get goofy. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with people and how they respond to posts.

My mechanic is just telling me what is wrong or could be potentially wrong with the car. The other 2 mag ride shocks are not leaking, one is leaking noticeably, the other has a small leak. The leaking shocks could last for years or fail soon. Nobody knows but it was just something the mechanic noticed and advised me of. If they do fail soon, that is the cost for the parts plus labor. Just like the tires, they work for now but need to be replaced soon.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:05 PM
Pettrix
Racer

Originally Posted by yeller z06

Best of luck.
Well said. It is a bargaining tool.The dealer just wants to unload the car for the highest amount as possible, as soon as possible. I once had a dealer with a date code original tire from 2011, that it was still a good tire in 2024. So a 13 year old tire was perfectly fine to be driven on. Dealers don't care about anything but selling the car for top dollar ASAP.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:41 PM
Pettrix
Racer

KBB shows a 2011 GS with 3LT and less than 12k miles valued at $33.6k Private Party
KBB then shows a 2012 GS with 3LT with around 26k miles valued at $39.5k Private Party

So WHY would a 1 year newer model with twice the mileage be worth $6k more than a 1 year older model with half the mileage?

The 2012 has better seats than the 2011. Are there any other things that changed in from 2011 to 2012?
Old 04-18-2024, 09:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,511 Likes on 2,831 Posts

KBB shows a 2011 GS with 3LT and less than 12k miles valued at $33.6k Private Party
KBB then shows a 2012 GS with 3LT with around 26k miles valued at $39.5k Private Party

So WHY would a 1 year newer model with twice the mileage be worth $6k more than a 1 year older model with half the mileage?

The 2012 has better seats than the 2011. Are there any other things that changed in from 2011 to 2012?
Because KBB is completely, utterly worthless currently.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:49 PM
elementary46
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Financing
Old 04-19-2024, 11:01 AM
Vettelagged
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

You still haven't bought this thing???????

Quick Reply: 2012 GS - What do you think?