C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 05:24 PM
Jerseyjay82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer gone bad

Prices squeaking coming from my 2007. Popped the hood and after a closer look I saw the Wobbling harmonic balancer!

anyone have a good tech in the area to recommend - Northern Jersey.

thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2024, 03:33 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 128 Posts

Do a search and fix it yourself if you have access to a lift. Some people do it on jack stands but I wouldn’t try it. Lots of info on this known problem with these cars. Had to replace mine.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:27 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts

Many of us have gone though this problem!! I did it myself on jack stands but it's not fun!! If you're fairly handy with a good variety of hand tools you can do it. Lots of articles and video's on this site and the web. Parts are around $400, labor is another story!! Seems like most guys are paying around $1500 give or take for the complete project. I'd recommend a PowerBond balancer, new front seal, new drive belt, checking tensioner bearings. Biggest pain is removing the steering rack to allow clearance to the balancer. You'll need to rent a Chrysler style puller. You'll also need a torque wrench capable of 250 ft. lb. If it's an automatic you'll need a flywheel lock tool (inexpensive), if a stick just put it in 6th gear, set the hand brake. Do NOT let a Chevrolet dealer do this project! Too expensive and you don't want a factory balancer as they haven't changed the problem to the best of my knowledge. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:36 AM
Jerseyjay82
Heel & Toe

Makes sense. I found that ATI was a preferred brand while doing some research on here. I’ve watched the videos on YouTube and honestly just don’t have the patience to get into something this involved. Was hoping someone in the area had a recommended mechanic that is knowledgeable and capable of this type of work. Most mechanics either don’t have the right lift to accommodate a vette or don’t wanna do it cause it requires the special puller tool. Either way this is going to have to be done by someone else. Appreciate the guidance!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:49 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

ATI balancers are made to SFI ratings for the racetrack, and are excessive in design,....and cost, as a result. If you are driving the car on the street, its way more than necessary. The other fact is, as ATI notes in their instructions, the balancer may have to be honed or machined to fit your crank, as they make it slightly small, on purpose, to get this tight fit. All of that cost money to do....and even worse, if the mechanic just bolts it up WITHOUT doing this......then the balance is not properly installed. If money is no object, and you prefer to have parts that are above and beyond what you need....then go for it. Many do.

As for finding a mechanic....I understand the dilemna. Either the power steering rack has to be dropped, or the entire front cradle has to be dropped, to gain access to the balancer for replacement. That all equates to much more labor, and its associated cost, than changing a balance on an old Chevy. I just spent over $1200 to get it done.

I was told that Chevy HAS fixed the problem with a new balancer from them, and therefore you can use a new Chevy balancer and the problem is resolved.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:30 AM
Jerseyjay82
Heel & Toe

I had ordered on the Lingenfelter website and noticed they had a list of approved repaid shops. I contacted East Coast Supercharging and they said it is the part they recommend and a fairly straightforward job since they do these a lot. All that said, they claim to have experienced techs that handle way more complex matters; just stinks they are 1.5 hrs away.
the ATI part was $450 and I suspect with alignment and other basics like belt, bolt and washer to be around $1500 all in. Not thrilled about it but if it’s a one and done, my brother always said “buy once, cry once”.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:38 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 304 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseyjay82
I had ordered on the Lingenfelter website and noticed they had a list of approved repaid shops. I contacted East Coast Supercharging and they said it is the part they recommend and a fairly straightforward job since they do these a lot. All that said, they claim to have experienced techs that handle way more complex matters; just stinks they are 1.5 hrs away.
the ATI part was $450 and I suspect with alignment and other basics like belt, bolt and washer to be around $1500 all in. Not thrilled about it but if it’s a one and done, my brother always said “buy once, cry once”.

Paid $1800 at a Corvette shop on Long island.
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyjay82 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:33 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 456 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseyjay82
Prices squeaking coming from my 2007. Popped the hood and after a closer look I saw the Wobbling harmonic balancer!

anyone have a good tech in the area to recommend - Northern Jersey.

thanks in advance
Not sure how far "north" you are in Northern NJ, but I would definitely recommend ECS (East Coast Supercharging) in Cream Ridge.....https://eastcoastsupercharging.com/ They're about 60 miles down the Turnpike from the Newark area & well worth the trip.
Speak with Doug Ring at 609-752-0321.
Jerseyjay82 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 05:31 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 318 Likes on 224 Posts

I took my '07 down to ECS to get it replaced.
Got supercharger while I was at it.
Jerseyjay82 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 05:32 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 318 Likes on 224 Posts

Cartek is closer to you, they are in Garwood.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:30 PM
Jerseyjay82
Heel & Toe

Never heard of cartek but I will look into them for sure. Appreciate the reco.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer gone bad

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer gone bad