C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions... Thinking about getting a C6 (Still)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:24 PM
jcarmichael
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a 2000 6 speed C 5 and now have a 2008 C- 6. Both cars were higher mileage units 65K on the C 5 and 91K on the 6 so were under $20K which is a lot of bang for the buck. I would recommend the LS 3 any time. I also had a 2019 C-7 that I bought new but my wife thought it was too showy. Loved to drive that one and could sit in the seat all day without getting tired.
I also had a C4 with the LS 3 and 6 speed so that's the avatar picture.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:46 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by js78
yeah, I’m aware

Now I never did follow the market for used corvettes , especially after a body style change and the few years after
but
there seems to be a TON of slightly used C8s for sale

it’s make me question why
People tried to flip them & now new are $6-7k below msrp. DCT replacement out of warranty is $15-20k.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (05-14-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 06:21 PM
Brent4880
Safety Car

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

I’m the third owner of my base 2009 purchased 3 years ago with 5.011 miles on it. New Michelin PS4s and oil changes is all I’ve done so far. The 6-speed is smooth and I love the car. I’m going to get fluids changed, and belts and hoses checked/replaced this summer.

I personally love the C6’s style which is a big reason I chose it. I had my checklist of wants and don’t wants. It took about a month of regular searching for mine to come up for sale. I didn’t/don’t plan to track it - mostly driving on the local roads. The Triple Nickel is about 9 miles away. I think the C6 is a great mix of analog and digital. Best of luck finding a car you enjoy.
MosEspa (05-10-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:43 AM
vinny R
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sramzzz
I will probably get ragged on but I don't agree with the buy the newest, low mileage car within your budget. Obviously budget is the main factor and will determine what year models and packaages will fit into that budget. Start off with a checklist of must haves and search for only those cars and it will eliminate a lot of noise. I had a specific checklist of what I was looking for and somewhat of a upper budget if a later year model car checked the boxes. In my case I was searching for year models 2006-2010. A 2006 spoke to me after 5 months of searching and I pulled the trigger and have no regrets.

If I were looking for a sports car that was not a C6 in would have 911 in the name. Good luck with whatever you decide.
No ragging here, I think you are actually right on the money$. I started my search with one thing. manual shift, The first car I looked at was an 05 with 13K., Red Tintcoat, beautiful car. It was sold the night before I was scheduled to go see it, with cash in hand. Fastforward 1 month and alot of looking at other cars I found my 09 with 80K. In looking back I would not have been happy with the 05, not at all. Grey is sooo much more of a car than the 05. Along the way I learned about the options and packages and Grey just has them all. I love the Cyber Grey color, which I never would have found had I bought the 05, hell I never seen this color before I got this car. 80k, well I got all the service records and she was very well taken care of and some common problems were already fixed. I also save 4K on this car for those smiles on the odometer and ended up with a better optioned car with the LS3!!

Like you have no regrets whatsoever with this 40+ year in the making purchase, I know for sure i wouldn't have felt this way if that 05 didn't get sold.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:39 PM
ROCRAY
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Earlier this spring I started a search for my final hurrah fun car. I started looking for 64’or 65’ GTO’s. I really started to think about wanting to maybe take a longer road trip. Driving 10 hrs in a 60 year old vehicle, possibly without A/C,didn’t sound as good as thought it would. This is when I started looking at Corvettes. Within my budget,I was looking at 07-09 Z06,or 14 or 15 c7 with 20-30k miles. The issues with the Z06 LS7 were a little unnerving, but I decided if I went that route,a well documented, serviced car would work. At this point my wife chimed in about at least wanting a removable targa top,because I’m just not a ragtop guy. One day while looking at Corvettes on fb marketplace, I find an 09’ with 9800 miles. It’s a stick,check. Removable top,check. Now,I’ve read about the fuel issues. I decided to take a look at this car. It came in about $10k lower than my budget. I am SO happy I looked at this car. It’s nowhere near as fast as a Z06, but the ride is way smoother( so I’m told) and I don’t have to freak out that my wife will hurt herself and others with a race car on the street.
This is the most fun car I’ve owned. I’m not going to fret about a possible service issue. Every single car has some sort of service issue at some point. The only thing I need to do,is replace 15 year old tires, and I need an axle back exhaust. I’m a boy racer at heart,and I need to hear the engine. My recommendation is don’t let a “potential “ issue down the road keep you from getting what could possibly be the car for you. Find a lower miles C6,and enjoy it. Best wishes!
Ray
The following 2 users liked this post by ROCRAY:
MosEspa (05-15-2024), Vettelagged (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:57 PM
Brent4880
Safety Car

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Congratulations, glad you’re enjoying it. I love my 6-sp. base 09 I’ve owned for nearly three years now. The LS3 has plenty of juice for me.

I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ZPs on it last summer from original tires. Improved ride, handling, noise - everything!
ROCRAY (05-14-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:24 AM
vinny R
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats and glad you are enjoying your purchase. I too just bought a C6 base 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love it, best car I have ever owned. Mine is high milage and has been very well maintained. It came with all 15 years of service records. I hope mileage and potential service issues doesn't hold anyone back on getting a C6 Corvette. This car is fast and a serious blast to drive all while giving you a comfortable driving experience. Not really sure why I settled for a C6 base, settled is a bad word to use here, my car is fully loaded and I got all the options I was looking for. These cars seem to have everything you want in a sports car and more.

Enjoy the new ride Ray, it's time for you to start putting some Smiles on that car of yours!
Old 05-15-2024, 12:54 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 848 Likes on 493 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Had a C5, and the C6 is NOT a C5.5. Totally different cars. I had the opportunity to rebuild a salvaged narrow body 2007 C6 which I rebuilt myself, and dropped an LS7 short block in it and S/C'd it. Lots of power and VERY visceral to say the least. I enjoy the "rashness" of the car, if you will. It's real gnarly to say the least. No comparison with a "new car", but it's a LOT more fun, (it's a 6sp manual) and of course it gets the looks like no other car I've ever owned. Buy what you want that you fit in......I like the C6 MUCH better than the C5, and it's larger inside compared to a C7. All of these are my take on the C6....and are in IMHO.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:03 PM
Ralphp
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by StayinStock
even with the gas tank issue, people make it a bigger deal than it is... its just a little fuel smell, its not going to light on fire. Should you fix it? yeah probably but not until it gives you another reason to go in there. Also 148k abuse filled miles on mine and no issues with the balancer... i think i might have the fuel issue... not enough to bother doing anything about it.
What's up with the fuel tank? When I went for emission testing they cut off the original gas cap and put a different one on. Ever since, I get the smell of gas. No leaks just smell.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:06 PM
Ralphp
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MosEspa
I posted here a while ago about a Daytona Orange 2005 I was thinking about getting but I never pulled the trigger. I looked at C7's but I am a taller guy and they are just not as comfortable as I want but they are the second best looking Corvette in my opinion (C4 gets my vote for best looking but same issue - I am too tall and a smidge too wide for long drives in these cars)

I am looking for a new sports car so I started looking at non-Corvette sports cars and found a few I like (Supra, The new Nissan Z, BMW Z4 - and they are all very comfortable for someone my size). They are still in the running but of course they are more expensive than a C6 because I would want new if I went for one of those.

I am NOT someone who is going to track or street-race. Performance Vs other cars is a non-factor to me. I still want a fun sports car to drive though. So my question is - as far as C6 which would YOU be willing to risk more - an LS2 with harmonic balancer issues or an LS3 C6 which has the potential for gas leaking?
Both issues it seems will happen at some point and both exist on a 2007 so those are out. I have to admit the 2012/13 seats look to be way more comfortable than any of the other C6's I have seen but I have yet to sit in one.
I have a bad time with seats but my 2013 gives me no issues. The C7 seats suck. I bought a C& and returned it within 30 days. There are many, many many complaints about the C7 seats.

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions... Thinking about getting a C6 (Still)