C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for replacing steering rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 06:17 PM
Hamlet7247
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for replacing steering rack and pinion

Hello, I just bought a 2006 corvette 2 months ago with 70k miles and discovered that the steering rack and pinion is leaking and needs replacing. I’ve heard that the remans for this part have a very high return rate so I wanted to ask if there was a vendor that is more trustworthy than others, and possibly one that has a warranty for both part and labor? Heard good things about zip corvette and top flight but I’m not too sure.

Also, there’s a distinct gassy smell that comes into the car from time to time. Is it possible that the leak is causing this? Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:47 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,123 Likes on 2,072 Posts

It is pretty common for the power steering high pressure hose to leak on the C6. I just replaced mine on my 2006 at 74K miles. You can buy the PW HP hose on Rock Auto for as low as $45 or around $70 at the popular local auto parts stores. Chevy dealerships charge $300 for the part.
The following users liked this post:
rc51racer (05-16-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:14 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

First, is the rack leaking or a hose? Does the power steering work or not? A hose is a relatively easy replacement as opposed to the steering rack which is a project. You might also consider a used one out of a wreck. If you actually need the rack as opposed to a hose try Car-Part.com and enter the info necessary and I'm sure many will show up. As for the gas smell, it has nothing to do with your steering issue. If it's a gasoline smell you've likely got the common crossover pipe issue between the left and right tanks. Lots of guys report smelling it with the car sitting in the garage where the leak and smell can increase. If so this is NOT an easy fix as both tanks need to come down and the crossover pipe and fittings replaced. Not terrible with a manual trans, much bigger job with an automatic due to space constraints.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:23 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,139 Likes on 709 Posts

Clarifying a few things mentioned......

Yes, you need to verify where the leak is from. 2005-7 vettes have a PS pressure line that is short and has to make a tight radius. This can cause a leak in the hose and the replacement you get will look different and is an improved design for the 08+. It is longer and runs along the rack before going to the pump, avoiding that tight bend.

If rack, your best bet may be to send yours in for a rebuild service. Turn One is a high end rebuilder that loves vettes.

If you have a gas smell from the rear, it is possibly from a crack in the left fuel pump hose nipple....more so than the crossover tube. All of it is a labor intensive job. Because of that, many go back with all new parts for both left and right tanks. Read the hundreds of threads on "fuel smell"

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
rc51racer (05-16-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for replacing steering rack and pinion

Quick Reply: Advice for replacing steering rack and pinion