C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Baby" Vette in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:11 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Baby" Vette in the future?

This is not a suggestion, so don't flame me on this ... however, in this day and age where sequals and spin-offs are more common than original thoughts, would anyone else out there not be surprised if the Camaro replacement due in a couple years somehow traded on the Corvette name? Why wouldn't GM capitalize on the great vette rep just as Porsche has done with the boxter? Some C6 suspension parts might even find their way into a "little brother" to share costs and build on the "alliance."
Old 05-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (LongTimer)

Do you mean something that could go head-to-head with the likes of the 350Z in terms of price and performance?

:blueangel:
Old 05-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (Pipes)

Or perhaps you mean something that would go head-to-head against a Mazda RX-8? Perhaps something like this:

:blueangel:
Old 05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (Pipes)

I haven't seen the SS in person, but if Porche can build an SUV, I guess Vette could offer a 4 door "relative". IF it were scaled down a bit, a 2 door coupe could add more production volume too, and compete with the 'stang.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:28 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

GM's already done the "baby" Vette once.

Opel GT

I doubt they'd do it again.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

First, to parts-sharing: Corvette parts are expensive. You don't share suspension bits without sharing the chassis to which they attach, and Corvette's extreme two-seater layout doesn't look like it'd translate well to a 2+2 or genuine four-place coupe of lower cost. Heck, Camaro revival discussions lament the too-high cost of the CTS platform as a starting point, much less Corvette. I say the midsize truck platform makes much more sense as a donor -- drop a 2+2 body on the SSR chassis and you're done.

Just as Porsche has done with the Boxster? It's called the Porsche Boxster, not the Porsche 911 Boxster.

Porsche is a division, Corvette is a car. Porsche has had multiple models in its past -- much to the chagrin of some Porschephiles. Corvette has always been a single car, sometimes with motor and hairpiece options.

Indeed, Corvette is one of the strongest automotive brands extant, and GM's not about to sully it by lowering it to its wannabe-competition's level.

You folks act like Chevrolet has no good brands other than Corvette. Camaro is still a great brand name, and any marketeer with a pulse could leverage it. There's also Chevelle and, yes, Monte Carlo. And who's to say they can't come up with a new Chevy-sounding name?

.Jinx
Anxiously awaiting the Chevrolet Chezamm!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:35 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (Jinx)

Every time Chevy has tried (yes, they have) to build a "bargain vette", it has been axed for one reason or another. One can only assume that they won't try this direction again...at least in the near future.

Personally, I'm glad there are no low-end vettes. I find it pretty cool that ALL Corvettes have been fast cars in their time, unlike many other performance lines. Think about the droves of non-turbo Supras, 300zx's, and 3000gt's as well as V6 Mustangs and F-Bodies. I'm proud that even the lowliest of Vettes are brutally fast. I hope it stays that way.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:52 AM
ap83
Advanced

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (BQuicksilver)

I would not be suprised in the least bit if GM did this...look at what they've done with the HUMMER brand. The H2 is basically just a "baby" HUMMER, and the H3 is right around the corner. GM is trying to get the most they can out of a name, and I can't say that I blame them, although it does seem to taint the name at the same time for the loyalists...just my .02 worth :D :cool:
Old 05-09-2003, 06:32 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: "Baby" Vette in the future? (Jinx)

[QUOTE]First, to parts-sharing: Corvette parts are expensive. [quote]

You're probably right, not a lot would be shared, just a few parts here and there to demonstrate the family ties.

[quote]Porsche is a division, Corvette is a car. Porsche has had multiple models in its past -- much to the chagrin of some Porschephiles. [quote]

True the 914/916 and the 924/9xx were not embraced by the Porchephiles. Mostly because they touted VW engines. But the Boxter is currently selling well and deffinately trading off the Porsche name and appears to be here to stay. The jury is still out on the Cayanne.

[Quote]Corvette has always been a single car, sometimes with motor and hairpiece options. [quote]
Yes, my point exactly.

[quote] Indeed, Corvette is one of the strongest automotive brands extant, and GM's not about to sully it by lowering it to its wannabe-competition's level.[quote]

Again I agree about the Corvette Brand. Though I AM NOT a Porsche fan at all, I respect the brand and would not consider a first class effort for a Sting Ray II, or whatever, to be sullying, or lowering IF EXECUTED PROPERLY. Certainly the 'little brother" could not be as feature full or as state of the art as the C6. But it would allow the engineers to target a younger, less affluent demographic. This customer base would not only add to foot traffic at Chevy dealers, but "age" into the C6,7, &8 buyers of tomorrow. GM would be getting more "play" on the respected and recognized name of Corvette.

But you are absolutely right, if they produce a poor product, it would sully the name. So if they ever decide to do this, they should do it right, or not at all.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:57 PM
texasvettman
Advanced

It'll be based on the same Holden Monaro that the new GTO is based on. They already have a proven platform and proven drivetrain. They will, though do their best to modify the public perception of the Camaro name. It will be marketed as a more sophisticated Camaro and maybe even play on a retro or nostalgia theme.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:18 PM
GDP
Team Owner

IMO, the late Camaro was an ugly little car, and I would personally hate to have that car--even from a different generation--taint the 'vette.

The 'vette has always been exclusive. The F-bodies (Camaro Z-28 and SS, Trans Am, Formula, and Firehawk) were always regarded as the 'vette's little brothers already. The only Camaros I've ever liked are the third generation ones.

Get notified of new replies

To "Baby" Vette in the future?

Quick Reply: "Baby" Vette in the future?