C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Orange Peel pic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 03:10 AM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember, too, that "improved paint" could also mean a harder paint that doesn't chip and scratch as easily like many people complain about on C5s.
I wish they'd consider the new "nanoparticle" technology that Mercedes is now using for future productions of Corvette finishing.

Perhaps photos like this...

http://webbbolt.com/showroom3.JPG

...could be greatly reduced in the future given these "lacquers which contains ceramic nanoparticles and offer a three fold increase in scratch resistance over conventional clear coats. This will help the paintwork retain its gloss for a longer period of time."

"Mercedes-Benz has developed an innovative new clear lacquer paint technology; first used on their Maybach model, this Ceramic Crystal clear coat incorporates microscopic ceramic nano-particles in a clear urethane lacquer.

"The clear coat is factory applied and then ‘baked' in a high-temperature drying oven forming a hard scratch and fade resistant finish. This paintwork system significantly improves surface gloss over conventional clear coats.

"It is also provides better protection from the necessary automatic car-washing, and concentrated detergents used, as it's illegal to wash your vehicle and allow water to flow to a storm-drain in Germany due to environmental regulations.

"Paint film surface maintenance is the same as for other systems, and the same products (synthetics or natural wax) can be used. Removing surface defects entails limited and controlled clear coat removal as this system produces an extremely hard surface."

http://www.azom.com/news.asp?newsID=917
Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 PM
redandwhite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a chevy. If you want the finish to change, pay a professional to fix it. If not, be happy that you are able to own one of the best dollar for dollar sports cars ever built.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I've gone back and looked at my PR some more and I'll have to admit mine's got some, mostly on vertical surfaces. It became more obvious when I had an object nearby where I could look at its reflection.

Mine's not so bad that I can't live with it, though.

Didn't have a C5. Had so many stone dings on my C4, I wouldn't have seen it anyway. Did the C4s have that problem?

Quick Reply: C6 Orange Peel pic