C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Timmy's C5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (scorp508)

Comments like this make me scream! Why the hell would they produce a convertible Z06? So you'll instantly be illegal at track functions until you put a roll cage in? Yeah thats some fun stuff! If you can't deal with this then buy a vert and put a head/cam package on for $3000 and make more than the Z06 will.
My guess is that a 400 HP Z51 C6 vert will already be too fast to run on most drag stirps without adding a roll bar. SO whats the difference. Give me a topless Z06.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (Skippy Stone)

Thanks - since it doesn't affect YOU. Then YOU don't care. And since Scrop just drives in a straight line for 1/4 mile - that's his thought pattern. Great. What else is new and GM is very thankful for your loyal support of their B.S. (Like the license plate would hurt horsepower.)
You haven't been paying attention, apparently. Since it does affect me and I was not supporting their BS.

IF you people actually buy a C6, I hope you are very happy with them. I will be looking at other convertibles to buy. So I'm disappointed that the vette is off my list.
I think it's exceedingly shallow to make a purchase decision based on something as minor as the front plate, but to each his own.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (Skippy Stone)

And since Scrop just drives in a straight line for 1/4 mile - that's his thought pattern. Great.
You don't know me very well then do you?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:29 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: (Timmy's C5)

My guess is that a 400 HP Z51 C6 vert will already be too fast to run on most drag stirps without adding a roll bar. SO whats the difference. Give me a topless Z06.
Any C5 and most later C4s are already under the 13.99 threshold of a rollbar for NHRA/IHRA as it is, but that is not as intrusive as a cage.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:48 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

IF you people actually buy a C6, I hope you are very happy with them. I will be looking at other convertibles to buy. So I'm disappointed that the vette is off my list.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:07 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (Scissors)

I think it's exceedingly shallow to make a purchase decision based on something as minor as the front plate, but to each his own.

I don't like the front plate holder either but there are just so few other options...I certainly wouldn't just 'bail out' on the car because of it though.
Too bad they couldn't make it recessed like the C5s set up but the nose is just too pointed.

On the subject of federal laws, are there rules for front plate mounting as related to safety regulations? Like in the event of an accident or in accident/crash testing is the plate mounting position/distances a factor?

Old 05-19-2004, 01:24 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (FriGuy)

Here's another thought: The painted bracket costs $55 right? That's about the price of the ticket you'd get for driving without the front plate.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:37 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (LongTimer)

Wow, I just can't get over how ugly this thing is. It's an absolute disgrace that GM would allow something so hideous to be attatched to a $50,000 or $60,000 car. Do you think Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche or any other high dollar automaker would stick something like this on one of their cars?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:00 AM
rambler323
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (BMadden)

I'm probably beating a dead horse but read the title of this thread out loud. Don't you feel a little silly?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Tremendous
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (FriGuy)

They are either going to go with a mount that mounts under the front facia on the bumper mount or they are going to go with a tempory type of mount that will allow the bracket to be removed at shows etc....

I'm glad they won't be ruining the front fascia with holes. I really hope they go with the temporary type of mount. That will make it easiest to replace with a better looking aftermarket bracket when and if such a thing exists.

I think it is useful to see this picture next to the older picture of the red bracket. I think the bracket doesn't look as bad in black as it does in the body color and that if they would make the bracket as thin as possible (maybe 1/4 or 1/2 an inch reduction would be possible) it would make a difference. I also think the extreme close up of the bracket makes it look bigger and uglier than it is. I'd like to see one in person, or at least a photo taken far enough away that you can see the bracket in relation to the whole car from a side and front view. Personally, I won't be jumping to any conclusions about whether it ruins the look of the car until I've seen it myself.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (BMadden)

Wow, I just can't get over how ugly this thing is. It's an absolute disgrace that GM would allow something so hideous to be attatched to a $50,000 or $60,000 car. Do you think Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche or any other high dollar automaker would stick something like this on one of their cars?
Well, actually, yes. I can:

Old 05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (BuckyThreadkiller)

Well, actually, yes. I can:

Personally, I don't find those nearly as offensive as the 'Vette front plate holder, but that's just me.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:12 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you think Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche or any other high dollar automaker would stick something like this on one of their cars?
Yes, yes I do.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:54 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (LT1LS1)

Do you think Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche or any other high dollar automaker would stick something like this on one of their cars?
Yes, yes I do.
Show me a picture of something they've done as ugly as the 'Vette front plate mount then. I've yet to see anything on the front of a luxury automaker's car as ugly as GM's solution.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

They should just get rid of the big stupid shoe box cut in half. Put the plate right up against the front. No matter what you're going to be able to notice where the plate was even if it's not touching the paint. Maybe put it over to the side, so it's not in the focal point of the front of the car literally. Just my 2 cents. I don't need a front plate in my state anyways.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:13 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Yes, yes I do.

Show me a picture of something they've done as ugly as the 'Vette front plate mount then. I've yet to see anything on the front of a luxury automaker's car as ugly as GM's solution.
Couple of points - the photos I posted above show Euro tags obviously which are not a tall as American plates so they'll naturally look a little more elegant.
Secondly you're just looking at the plate holder which will disappear behind the plate once it is put on. Dave and CO need to start showing that sucker with a USA-1 tag on it or something that shows a plate rather than the shoebox.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (BuckyThreadkiller)

Why couldn't the front plate holder on the C6 be done the same way as the C5? Maybe they could do the cut out that would house the plate so it would be sunk in flat. It could be an option. For those who were in no plate states they could opt for the regular front end without the cut out. Just throwin an idea out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken

Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (Scissors)

I understand your point Scissors, the C6 is really an improved, refined car - other than the plate mount. However, IMO that plate mount changes entire face of the car so I can definitely understand someone turning their back on the car - which is exactly why I've battled (and lost) so hard for a change. The majority of new vette buyers today are not the as dedicated to vettes as the participants here. I think when the average potential buy sees the plate mounted he / she will be so shocked, that many, many sales will be lost.

Also, there was a comment about the plate not being a Federal law. True. However 70% of the states - including Ca, NY, Il - most of the states with the highest populations have this law. I would offer a total SWAG that total vette sales to these states easily represents 80-85% (a conservative number I'll bet) of total vette sales. This IMO is why the plate mount should have been viewed as if it were a Fed law from the beginning.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (LongTimer)

..... most of the states with the highest populations have this law.
Because all those city dwellers have Corvettes stashed in their closets for use when the public transportation is down.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:07 AM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken (scorp508)

I think this might be a great opportunity for an aftermarket plate holder. Maybe a supporting vendor or one of us could market a solution? Sounds like a great money maker for an enterprising individual.

Quick Reply: Important Front License Plate Braket Update. David Hill has spoken