C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM
TJsToy
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In 3, 5, 8-9 Veteran

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (portmgr198)

I would have felt better if GM would have just made it standard....

Not ordering it...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (Shylor)

I tell myself what is another $700 gonna due when Im paying $59K for it

While I understand what you were trying to say, I disagree with your reasoning. Sure $700 is nothing compared to $59k but it still adds up and should not be shrugged off as a small amount. GM loves that type of thinking and is glad to sell you more stuff that is overpriced. The products concept is a good idea but not worth it at that price. It should be included with the car, at least for the length of the factory warranty.
I really dont shrug it off... it was a choice really... but in my opinion everything dealing with a "corvette" is overpriced..mods included.. I do think in time in will be included.... I guess I look at things like resell too... if my car has all the options in the future when I sell it in 2-3 yrs then it has them all for someone who might like it... I think Onstar will provide more options in the future as well... I guess it was just a preference... we have it in our SS and was used to it...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:30 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (TJsToy)

If enough don't order it, they will make it standard as OnStar still makes loads of money even if they give the cell away.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:07 PM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (RedC6Coupe)

I had initially ordered OnStar, but seeing this as a $700 option makes me wonder what I need this for! Didnt have it on my C5 and didnt miss it. I still have time to cxl it. Do we really need this or is it just GMs way of milking us for more $$$$$?

Don't forget that OnStar also includes stolen vehicle tracking, emergency services, roadside assistance, remote door unlock, and GM Goodwrench remote diagnostics. But I'll agree that $700 is still a little high.

I wonder about the vehicle tracking service. Since the OnStar antenna will be inside and right on the windshield of the car what would stop some savvy thief from just ripping it out and disabling the system. Good-bye OnStar..Good Bye corvette!!!

[Modified by portmgr198, 9:08 PM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-01-2004, 09:10 PM
c6gofst
Instructor

Yes, $695 is a lot of money, but if the integration works the way it should, I think it may be well worth it, especially for people who do a lot of driving as part of their job. Voice activated hands free phones are a safety issue as well. I personally don't enjoy looking down to dial a cell phone in the car. My Mercedes has the voice activated phone option and I love it. It was much more money, but it works great. The antenna is built into the car and gives much better reception than a hand held phone.

My Mercedes also has Tele-aid, their own version of OnStar. It is one of those things that you hope never to use, but in an airbag deployment, you may not be in any condition to make a call. I have heard of a few examples of the technology saving peoples lives. Granted those episodes are very few and far between, but ask those people if it was worth paying for their subscriptions. I don't plan on having to use the system regularly, but if the day comes and I need assistance or to have the vehicle tracked, I am sure that I will be happy that I made the decision to invest. It's kinda like an insurance policy IMHO. I guess that's why it's optional. Some will want it, some won't. In the meantime, week of 8/2 just can't come fast enough.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM
ny10522
Racer

Considering the subscription, they should be giving the thing away.
If added, I would pay to have it removed.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (ny10522)

Considering the subscription, they should be giving the thing away.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
charlietuna
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (need-for-speed)

Hay that Texas ON STAR is the same as the MICHIGAN on star I use
Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (Shylor)

When they add Bluetooth compatibility so we can use cell phones that we already carry in our pocket - and not limit us to Verizon, then I might consider On-Star. But I still think 700 is a lot considering the monthly fee that will come into play.

I've owned two Tahoes with On-Star, and free activation for a year (yes, that's two years total!). I never used it - not once.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:49 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (jschindler)

When they add Bluetooth compatibility so we can use cell phones that we already carry in our pocket - and not limit us to Verizon, then I might consider On-Star. But I still think 700 is a lot considering the monthly fee that will come into play.

I've owned two Tahoes with On-Star, and free activation for a year (yes, that's two years total!). I never used it - not once.
..then you wouldn't need on-star as your portable cellphone would be used by your vehicle. You can already do that with Honda/Acura.

The nice thing about the OnStar is the reception is going to be a lot stronger as the FCC allows 3 Watt transcievers for car phones. With the antenna external, the range is pretty darned fantastic. I will definatley be ordering OnStar and switching back to Verizon from Sprint(boy that was a mistake).
Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (sorka)

..then you wouldn't need on-star as your portable cellphone would be used by your vehicle. You can already do that with Honda/Acura.

The nice thing about the OnStar is the reception is going to be a lot stronger as the FCC allows 3 Watt transcievers for car phones. With the antenna external, the range is pretty darned fantastic. I will definatley be ordering OnStar and switching back to Verizon from Sprint(boy that was a mistake).
Yes, you are correct - I am probably going to be buying an Acura TL in the next few weeks as a daily driver. BTW, I have had Verizon back when they were GTE Mobilnet. They screwed me when I cancelled (they gave me wrong information) and I swore I would never do business with them again. I switched to Sprint three months ago and am quite happy with them so far (although I think they are all lacking in customer service).

I think the Verizon "connection" is a step in the right direction, but Bluetooth is starting to become available in quite a few cars, and has the advantage of being compatible with virtually any cell phone service.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:05 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (sorka)

Here is a link about the Verizon plan. http://news.com.com/OnStar%20steerin...3-5236129.html
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (charlietuna)

Hay that Texas ON STAR is the same as the MICHIGAN on star I use

.......great minds
Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (crabman)

Bluetooth would be worth it. OnStar is not. Mine expires next week and I'm not re-upping.

If the theft recovery deal is so good, then why don't the insurance companies either pick up the tab or offer a significant discount.

[Modified by BuckyThreadkiller, 10:56 PM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 12:38 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Not to be a smart ****, but I don't really care what it costs. I'm not getting it anyway. If they offered it for a buck fifty, maybe... I get in my car to drive... Not find the nearest restaurant... And if I lock my keys in the car, then I made a mistake... Haven't needed OnStar yet...

[Modified by WMark, 10:52 PM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-02-2004, 12:48 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (BuckyThreadkiller)

A bit on the high side. As far as Theft recovery, do you really want it back. As far as road service, I have a cell and AAA whats the difference.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:49 AM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (jimman)

I agree with all of you that say that OnStar is just not worth it. I thought it would be a fun gadget, but at $695 that is one expensive cell phone, in addition to the subscription charges after the free period. I think I'll stick with my cell phone and a headset! As for theft recovery, if the car is stolen, I agree, who wants it back. It will probably be a mess anyhow! Another GM mistake. Just because they are having trouble selling cars in other divisions, they shouldnt be making up for lost profits on corvette buyers!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced?

Old 07-02-2004, 10:35 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

On my wifes car the BMW assist comes standard and the first year free. We have never used it and dont intend to re-up when the time comes. One factor that is different however is that the emergency call in an accident works wether you subscribe or not. I had planned on skipping the Onstar but when I found out about the Verizon plan I was considering getting it. Then I saw the brick in the windshield antenaa placement and that was all I needed to nix the option.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:29 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (WMark)

If $695 covered the basic plan for the life of the car, I would get it. Having to pay monthly or yearly, no way.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:41 PM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced? (TulsaVette)

Quick Reply: Anyone esle think OnStar at $695 is overpriced?