C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs Evo MR vs STi

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Movin' Up
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 vs Evo MR vs STi

I know this belongs on the "Car Talk" forum, but not too many responses there. I just read this on another forum comparing the Evo MR and STi, and was curious how the new C6 stacks up against them. Just curious. What are your thoughts?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...4&page=1&pp=15
Old 09-02-2004, 06:08 PM
djhartm
Racer

Those cars are wickedly fast have the advantage of AWD. On a tight road the advantage goes to these cars vs. a stock RWD C5.

Not sure about a C6 though.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:13 PM
SinCityJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Movin' Up
I know this belongs on the "Car Talk" forum, but not too many responses there. I just read this on another forum comparing the Evo MR and STi, and was curious how the new C6 stacks up against them. Just curious. What are your thoughts?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...4&page=1&pp=15

Can you imagine a 51 year old man climbing out of one of those after driving alone across the continent? Not without medical assistance, followed by a kidney transplant. I'll take comfort with my speed, thank you very much.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by djhartm
Those cars are wickedly fast have the advantage of AWD. On a tight road the advantage goes to these cars vs. a stock RWD C5.

Not sure about a C6 though.
If the road is tight enough, a mountain bike can outperform a C5.

These blown four-bangers don't have the power bandwidth that even a stock C5 does. If the road is dry and the driver doesn't suck, there aren't many places the C5 will be left behind by these atomic sewing machines.

.Jinx
Old 09-02-2004, 11:11 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

A C5 would destroy these cars. There are some versions of the EVO that are track monsters though.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Stolit
Safety Car

Top Gear tested the cars. Individually, not head-to-head. Here's how they did on their race course.

Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR FQ320 - 1.26.0
Chevrolet Corvette C6 - 1.26.8
Mitsubishi Evo VIII (normal) - 1.28.9
Subaru Impreza STi WRX WR-1 - 1.29.4

And the normal STi ran a 1.30-something.

Not the most scientific test in the world, but it gives you a general idea of how the cars stack up. The Corvette had a messy lap, but the Evo understeered badly and the STi was worse.

I think that on a wide-open circuit with plenty of weepers, the Corvette would leave the others for dead. On a tighter track, it's anyone's game.

Last edited by Stolit; 09-02-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

****, I can turn some REAL tight corners in my Nike's.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM
djhartm
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
If the road is tight enough, a mountain bike can outperform a C5.

These blown four-bangers don't have the power bandwidth that even a stock C5 does. If the road is dry and the driver doesn't suck, there aren't many places the C5 will be left behind by these atomic sewing machines.

.Jinx
Thats a silly and largely inaccurate response.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
djhartm
Racer

Originally Posted by Stolit
Top Gear tested the cars. Individually, not head-to-head. Here's how they did on their race course.

Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR FQ320 - 1.26.0
Chevrolet Corvette C6 - 1.26.8
Mitsubishi Evo VIII (normal) - 1.28.9
Subaru Impreza STi WRX WR-1 - 1.29.4

And the normal STi ran a 1.30-something.

Not the most scientific test in the world, but it gives you a general idea of how the cars stack up. The Corvette had a messy lap, but the Evo understeered badly and the STi was worse.

I think that on a wide-open circuit with plenty of weepers, the Corvette would leave the others for dead. On a tighter track, it's anyone's game.
My point exactly. On a track like Streets of Willow, the cars are very close because the 4 cylinders can take advantage of their AWD & the power deficit is a negligible factor. On the big track where HP plays a bigger factor, the Vettes would likely be much faster.

Pretty impressive for ~$30k.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:51 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Why would anyone compare these cars to a Vette? Fast & Furious cars are ghey. I bet a Cooper Mini handles well too...I've been in some wild go carts.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Movin' Up
Instructor

Originally Posted by lager99
Why would anyone compare these cars to a Vette? Fast & Furious cars are ghey. I bet a Cooper Mini handles well too...I've been in some wild go carts.
When's the last time you saw these numbers on a $30k car? I just thought that they were impressive. Look at all the technology went into the car. In a way, it's kinda like the vette. They focused more on performance, rather than the creature comfort and one of the best "bang for the buck"... doesn't that sound familiar? They may not have the look, but there is a huge followers of these cars in Japan, just like the Vette has in US. They also provide 2 extra seats, awd and cost 2/3 the price of a vette. I just thought it was neat and interesting, that's all.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Movin' Up
When's the last time you saw these numbers on a $30k car? I just thought that they were impressive. Look at all the technology went into the car. In a way, it's kinda like the vette. They focused more on performance, rather than the creature comfort and one of the best "bang for the buck"... doesn't that sound familiar? They may not have the look, but there is a huge followers of these cars in Japan, just like the Vette has in US. They also provide 2 extra seats, awd and cost 2/3 the price of a vette. I just thought it was neat and interesting, that's all.
I'm not buying a $30,000 go cart so I don't care. Street bikes are the fastest, lightest etc...Aren't they the best bang for your buck? It's like comparing the Vette with an exotic, that's just as ridiculous in my mind. A Rolls Royce has 4 seats too...wht did they make that peice of chit so heavy? It will never outperform one of those bridge jumping, engine exploding like a scud b/c of the nitrous, street racing supercars you love.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by djhartm
Thats a silly and largely inaccurate response.
Damn. And I so needed your approval.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs Evo MR vs STi

Quick Reply: C6 vs Evo MR vs STi