C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed w/ the new C6 - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very disappointed w/ the new C6 - Part II

First - I LOVE my new C6!

Second - I started this thread because the original one has too many replies going off in alot of different directions.

While I agree with almost all the positive posts regarding the "newness" of our beloved C6, I would like to introduce a different thought for our Forum to comment/reply and discuss.

Another poster on here took the time to link us to the commercial
regarding the "NEW" Porsche 911.
Note that Porsche is calling the 2005 911 "NEW"
Have we heard or seen any flaming over Porsche calling the '05 911 "NEW"?
I've done some homework on this "NEW" 911.
Like our Corvette, Porsche had codenames for the 911, like Chevy has for the 'Vette.
The last 911's internal code name was: 996
The "NEW" 911's internal code name will be: 997

My reason for this post?
The 911/997 is every bit as "new" over the 996 as our C6 is over the C5.
GM has built a new generation of 'Vette and I am with those who recognize and accept this fact.

Those who are not, I am sure, will continue to whine about the C6 not being a "true" generational shift.
Funny that Porsche has no problem with it's loyalists supporting the "NEW" 911.
I wonder what GM/Chevy/Dave Hill hasn't done to satisfy the 'Vette loyalists who continue to "flame" the new C6 on this forum?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

Unfortunately, this thread will likely run the same course as "Part 1".

~john
Old 09-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Part of the continued bashing of the C6 is from SOME C5ers who are jealous of a faster car with more hp whose spouses won't let them buy a C6. They have to justify that non-purchase. Notice I said SOME.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:36 AM
smokeyburnouts
Burning Brakes

good point NOVAVETTE. i really dont know how to answer that. maybe its just that the appearance is C5-ish, but at the same time drastic. its almost like GM took a C5-type appearance and tailored it to what is "trendy" amongst car manufacturers now. the headlights, "mouth", sharp angles, and minimal overhangs are what every newer car looks like. so now instead of the vette being as unique and original w/ its appearance, it is conforming to what is already out there. also, it doesnt have a platform all its own. just a thought.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:41 AM
willisit
Advanced

Check out some Porsche forums. I own a 993 and people ARE going on about how close the 997 is to the 996 and some 996 owners are moaning (SOME) that all they've done is change the lights (in actual fact, only the roof is carried over).

The flaming is there, trust me.

Personally I do not like the C5 - I, however, am hoping to sell my 911 for a C6. It's that significant a change for me to do so.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:44 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

smokey:
per your thought below:
"so now instead of the vette being as unique and original w/ its appearance, it is conforming to what is already out there"

IMHO - Yes and No to your comment on the exterior.

With regard to conformance in design for the C6, you make valid points.

However, do you (or others) see some of the design cues which pay homage to the legacy 'Vettes of the past?

Such as: 1) the arching of the fenders, 2) the power buldge in the hood, 3) the side intake strakes, 3) the new, sharp angle of the rear glass hatch, 4) round tailights.

I am sure the list above is not complete.

Others want to chime in here?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's no question that if I did not already own a C5, the C6 would look great to me. Right now the value equation comes nowhere near telling me to buy a new Vette. The dollar difference is just too great considering what I would get for my car, which has been a pleasure to own and drive. IF I were determined to run stock runflat tires instead of the Pilot Sports, that might be a factor.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:50 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

willisit:
Per your post above - Porsche's loss is GM's gain.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
smokeyburnouts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NOVAVETTE
However, do you (or others) see some of the design cues which pay homage to the legacy 'Vettes of the past?

Such as: 1) the arching of the fenders, 2) the power buldge in the hood, 3) the side intake strakes, 3) the new, sharp angle of the rear glass hatch, 4) round tailights.

I am sure the list above is not complete.

Others want to chime in here?
yes i totally agree. you can see reminence of generations of old...especially the rear hatch and tail lights.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:04 AM
willisit
Advanced

Originally Posted by NOVAVETTE
willisit:
Per your post above - Porsche's loss is GM's gain.
You think? Thanks!

Personally I've always been a GM man (here in the UK that's "Vauxhall").. can't wait until the UK dealers arrive.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Daryl
Pro

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
Part of the continued bashing of the C6 is from SOME C5ers who are jealous of a faster car with more hp whose spouses won't let them buy a C6. They have to justify that non-purchase. Notice I said SOME.
Easy does it. Stating an opinion, be it fact or fiction, is the right of all forum members. Some may very well be jealous about the increased hp or that the C6 is somewhat faster than stock C5's, but there's a difference between being proud of owning a new C6 and being down right arrogant. We are all corvette owners and it seems to me that we should all be proud and confident about the vette we drive without bad-mouthing a fellow forum member. Horsepower and speed can't be the biggest attribute of the C6, because when the new Z is introduced it will make all previous stock corvettes seem relatively slow in comparsion. Even though I don't own a C6 (have a '04 Z), I'm very impressed with the advancements GM has made. I look forward to the future of the corvette while basking in the glow of ALL corvettes from 1953 to ??? We are ALL very fortunate to own a piece of history. IMO. Save the Wave.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:10 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM
SuperChevyICM
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by willisit
Check out some Porsche forums. I own a 993 and people ARE going on about how close the 997 is to the 996 and some 996 owners are moaning (SOME) that all they've done is change the lights (in actual fact, only the roof is carried over).

The flaming is there, trust me.

Personally I do not like the C5 - I, however, am hoping to sell my 911 for a C6. It's that significant a change for me to do so.
You are a prime example that GM is accomplishing exactly what they wanted to do. The 911 is the prime target for the C6's competitors (along with the BMW Z4 & Boxster) while the perfroamnce portion of the vette has always been at least as good they have been short in overall fit & finish especially in the interior. Now they have upgraded that as well as pushed the performance per dollar even higher. I have seen a lot of 911 owners coming by and showing WAY more interest in the C6 than previously and that is including some that have just bought the 911 and are not even in the market yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
REL44
Instructor

I think the draw of the C6 is amplified for those who are not already Vette owners (myself included). Had I owned a C5, especially a Z06, I probably would not be ready to jump on the C6 bandwagon. This was the case for me when the E46 M3 came out (I owned a '99 M3). There was some bashing of the E46, mainly about its sticker price and the increase in weight, but likewise, several of the new E46 owners were saying we were jealous because we couldn't afford the new one. I would hate to see new C6 owners turn around and act in a similar fashion towards the current C5 owners. We are all Vette lovers, so let's just leave it at that.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing for sure, the C6 is totally different in person than in the pictures. You can't really see the new angularity in pictures, so it looks like a warmed over C5. So especially the people with C5s look at it and say that is not so different and get used to the idea. Then when they go see the car, some of them have gotten used to it from the pictures and don't really see the differences. And some will look for any justification to keep their C5, by bashing the C6, convincing themselves that they don't like it. Which is fine, but they come over here and rain on our parade. There is nothing wrong with being satisfied with what they have, but they don't need bash someone else's dreams, it is just plain tacky. I have had my C6 for almost 3 weeks, and had my C5 for 5 years, I now really understand the differences between the two and they are simply huge, they are truly two different cars. There is no comparison in the ride, handling, power, lighting, interior, exterior, hatch, view over the hood, everything is so much better.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:37 AM
C64BC
Pro

Originally Posted by Daryl
Easy does it. Stating an opinion, be it fact or fiction, is the right of all forum members. Some may very well be jealous about the increased hp or that the C6 is somewhat faster than stock C5's, but there's a difference between being proud of owning a new C6 and being down right arrogant. We are all corvette owners and it seems to me that we should all be proud and confident about the vette we drive without bad-mouthing a fellow forum member. Horsepower and speed can't be the biggest attribute of the C6, because when the new Z is introduced it will make all previous stock corvettes seem relatively slow in comparsion. Even though I don't own a C6 (have a '04 Z), I'm very impressed with the advancements GM has made. I look forward to the future of the corvette while basking in the glow of ALL corvettes from 1953 to ??? We are ALL very fortunate to own a piece of history. IMO. Save the Wave.
very well put!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i wrote my review of my 61 & 72 long before I saw the C6 in person. I expected to write how much better the C6 was. I was shocked and dismayed and cancelled my order.
Read my review:
http://community.webtv.net/MATTGRU/Drivingimpressions

Get notified of new replies

To Very disappointed w/ the new C6 - Part II

Old 09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: 911 vs. C6

Hello,
I have owned an 85, 87 and 94 Corvette and love the car. When the C5 came out I took one look at the car and was immediately turned off, I thought that It had been cheapened. Now I am not talking about the engine and drive trane, this was great, but the overall car didn't excite me at all and I haven't even turned my head for many years.
With that said, the C6 is a completely different car. The C6 is modernized and worth every penny. Come on people, this 2005 for goodness sakes. It seems to me that most people resist change, myself included, but this is a very nice change if you ask me.
I just sold my 911 and will be taking delivery of my new C6 in a couple of weeks and have no regrets.
I will most likely sell the 05 for an 07, maybe, if the 07 has dramatic changes, but until then I will enjoy the hell out of my new C6.
The time is NOW, so you should start living your life in the now.
Kevin.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Matt Gruber:
Read your review from the link provided above and saw your likes/dislikes with the new C6.

There is a common complaint which shows up in your review in a number of comments - The cost of replacing parts on the C6.

The 2005 C6 is a serious, high-tech, modern sports car. I have no doubt (nor do others) that parts will cost $$$$$.

I note that you are an "old timer". Are you looking to compare the parts cost for the '73 Vette to the '05?

Also, would you care to share with us the other 2005 high performance sportscars you have knowldge of which offer their replacement parts for a lower cost? BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati? I am not clear which one of those is the "value leader" over our Vette.

I am not looking to bash/flame or be disprespectful to your post about the C6. So don't take this as such.

Just looking for some clarification/facts and perspective. Thanks!

Last edited by NOVAVETTE; 09-22-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
After reading so many posts from C5 owners commenting on the C6, some positive & others negative, some diplomatically, others crude & inappropriate, I believe C6ers taking the position you express above is equally inappropriate & just continues to add fuel to the fire, regardless if you try to soften the comment with, "Notice I said SOME." True Vette fans need to take the higher road!

Personally I hope C6 sales go extremely well & that 'other' car owners are attracted to Corvette ownership. The better the GM return on investment, the more $$$ GM will put in to upgrading the C6 & the design of the C7.

Quick Reply: Very disappointed w/ the new C6 - Part II