C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closing the hatch on the coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:57 PM
TORCH
Airborne Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

RUT ROH!

Take it easy on these guys. C5 folks asked some pretty dumb questions when they were new. Of course Al Gore had not invented the internet when they made the first C4. Wait til the first C6 driver forgets to latch the top on his coupe. That'll make a BIG splash in here. This may be more fun than picking on C4 drivers.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:57 PM
John George
Melting Slicks

Location: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. --Bokonon
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'07

Originally Posted by mchaney
I'm thinking of installing one of these to eliminate the problem.

Mike
Just say no.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Thud
Team Owner

It's just a hatch.
It should be reasonably easy to close even for the most dim-witted individual possessing an advanced degree in hyperbolic topology.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:23 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

So according to the video you grasp the handle & pull down firmly. That seems awkward to me. What happens if you grasp the lip of the hatch & pull down?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by barkingowl
So according to the video you grasp the handle & pull down firmly. That seems awkward to me. What happens if you grasp the lip of the hatch & pull down?
Initially, you get your fingerprints all over the lip of the hatch. Eventually, you wear the paint off of the lip of the hatch.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM
VITIS
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18,'19-'20

Originally Posted by mchaney
What method are you guys using to close the back hatch? Are you tossing it down with some speed as you would the C5 hatch, putting it down softly and then pushing down to engage the pull down, etc.?

I normally prefer to just put mine down softly and then give the glass a little push to engage the pull down but I'm finding that it doesn't work properly that way most of the time (but it does sometimes). About 1/3 of the time it works that way but 2/3 of the time when you push down, it just catches the first latch and doesn't pull down. As a result, I've been just slamming it as if it had no pull down mechanism and that seems to work.

Is this normal?

Mike
I didn't think mine was working right - had to close hatch to about an inch then press down until it pulled close - so I took it back by the dealer yesterday to get it check out. Didn't find a problem, said it was due to air lock, all was explained in the owner DVD, and that there was no adjustment. The power hatch closer is there to solve the problem of the C5 hatch that needed a window open or a 2 handed slam, nothing in my DVD or owners manual. The dealer is expecting another C6 in Fri. I want to try them side by side before I'll accept "normal".

Last edited by VITIS; 09-29-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:54 PM
427-Z06
Pro

Default Ridiculous Hatch Mechanism

The way the hatch works is just lame. I had a 1990 Camaro and all you had to do was lightly drop the hatch and it would be pulled down and latched by a motor. Just bring back the way the hatched closed on the 3rd gen f-bodies. It seems really silly that GM would engineer a worse solution for the C6. I have decided at this point that the mechanism on the C6 is worthless and i have to slam the hatch just like my C5. Thanks for wasting development dollars and increasing the cost of the vette. Typical GM. What a great car but there are always little bonehead items that you can't believe made it through a review process in development.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:15 PM
C6 Fan
Advanced

Default info on how to close the hatch

Mike,
the C6 has a "chinching" latch that assists the latching of the hatch once it hits the secondary latch position (like when the the door isn't quite shut but is still latched).

The new latch does the job the 2 latches did on the C5 hatch and fights the same problem, Air Bind. Your new C6 is sealed so tight it is difficult to close consistently unless you have a door open/window down.

Try this, when you shut the hatch, close it with some force and leave your fingers on the hatch as the striker hits the latch. You will find the force needed to close the hatch is much less than trying to slam it shut.

When the top is off or the window is down, just let it drop.

Hope this helps

C6 Fan
Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 PM
tT-REXXX
Drifting

Default dave's joke

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Please tell me this post is a joke.
If you saw the dis.channel show dave was laughing trying to close trunk.when they fixed it it woud pull itself closed
Old 09-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to slam anyone here, but COME-ON guys. It's NOT that hard to do. Mine has worked EVERY time.

The hatch isn't supposed to be like some fancy, futuristic, jet fighter canopy, powered mechanism. Close the hatch carefully/normally until it rests naturally on its latch. Then press down on the hatch (you'll hear a click) and it will "suck" itself down the rest of the way.

If you're expecting it to work like a 1990s Caddilac where it will pull itself shut from a height of 3 inches...you've come to the wrong ballfield.

Nuf-said.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:39 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster1
I don't mean to slam anyone here, but COME-ON guys. It's NOT that hard to do. Mine has worked EVERY time.

The hatch isn't supposed to be like some fancy, futuristic, jet fighter canopy, powered mechanism. Close the hatch carefully/normally until it rests naturally on its latch. Then press down on the hatch (you'll hear a click) and it will "suck" itself down the rest of the way.
Sorry. Many of them simply do not work that way. Mine only sucks itself down from the first click about 1/3 of the time. If you'd read the responses here, others are having the same issue. I saw Dave Hill do exactly what you suggest above on the Discovery video and it worked (as it should). Problem is, mine (and some others) are simply not pulling down on that first click like it did for Dave. It seems like it should work by resting first and then clicking, but it isn't working that way... reliably. As a result, I just slam mine.

Mike
Old 09-30-2004, 06:53 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by barkingowl
DAMN! I've been pushing it instaed of pulling it! This new technology is amazing!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Diego M
Team Owner

this thread still going?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Runesabre
Instructor

Having opened and closed the hatch several times of my new C6 for the last couple of days, I can say that the auto-cinching mechanism isn't as consistent and reliable as I would like it to be.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyc6

Mike
But then one would need the optional front end "tractor pull" weight set and/or wheelie bars...
Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Runesabre
Having opened and closed the hatch several times of my new C6 for the last couple of days, I can say that the auto-cinching mechanism isn't as consistent and reliable as I would like it to be.

VERY "hit and miss"
Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It sucks that it's not easier, but...

...if the car didn't require special techniques for common operating tasks that are simple on all other cars, it wouldn't be a Corvette. :-)

It makes the car more special.

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To Closing the hatch on the coupe

Old 10-03-2004, 02:38 AM
GDP
Team Owner

TTT, need more suggestions.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:32 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyc6

Mike
OMG.. that is the biggest external slam handle I have even seem. That looks like a good method of lowering the rear by about 1/2 inch.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GDP
TTT, need more suggestions.
Use your preferred method, out of all the preceding posts, or make up your own. Then, when it still doesn't latch, push down gently until it does. My method finally failed last night for 1 time out of 5.

Quick Reply: Closing the hatch on the coupe