C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Audio Install <repost>

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 06:21 PM
herschel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Audio Install <repost>

Sorry for the repost - someone mentioned I should start a new thread for this.

Some pictures from my install. Here's what I did:
- Replaced 10" doors with Focal K2P's and JL 150x2 amp
- Added rear 8.25" Focal Polyglass subs and 500W JL monoblock amp
- Audio Control ES and LC6 equalizer and level converter
- JVC 12-disk CD/MP3 changer wired to FM modulator (between seats)
- Custom enclosures, grilles, and rack/shelf unit

I really didn't realize how good car audio could be until now - it's truly unbelievable. The install does raise the entire rear deck to level with the front lip, but the targa roof still stows in its carrier, since we used the storage wells behind the wheel wells as part of the sub enclosures. Do NOT try this at home unless you're a pro. Took high end custom installer 5 days and a lot of debug. Chevy's aftermarket changer coming out in a few months should address part of the reason I started this project.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice job! How did you seal in the speakers in the back to be air tight with the new floor?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:12 PM
7 OUT
Racer

How much did it cost?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:15 PM
herschel
Advanced

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Very nice job! How did you seal in the speakers in the back to be air tight with the new floor?
Custom fiberglass/epoxy enclosure. I didn't see the entire fab process, but I can give you the email of the installer if you have questions.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:29 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Very sweet. It would be nice if all they people who think the Bose system is so F--king great could hear what a good system really sounds like.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 PM
James Shearer
Racer

Sounds like you have the midbass and subbass covered-what about the mids and highs-are the stock speakers OK for you? I'm curious what the center channel speaker is. I would think a good 1" dome tweeter would work well in each door-one you could cross over to get into the upper mid range area. I've had high systems in previous cars and there sound can be spectacular. I worry about the intigrated electronics in cars like the C6. Sometimes those monitoring computers just don't understaand what's going-you've added a significant power drain on the battery. Keep us informed and the install looks great.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
herschel
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7 OUT
How much did it cost?
Hmm. I'm a little embarrassed to say. With labor and parts, about $5k. But I took the car to guys who are really artists and take great pride in their work, specializing in high end vehicles.

The price range of car audio equipment is large, and the sound quality isn't proportional to the $ invested until you get past a certain threshold. My problem was that I upgraded the bass first, and then it overwhelmed the Bose mids and fronts. Then I upgraded the fronts, but they needed a new amp... Etc, etc, etc. I started having flashbacks of my first wife ;-). Anyhow, I ended up upgrading the whole system. Unfortunately, there's just no cheap way to shortcut a car audio system upgrade since the whole thing is only as good as its weakest component.

I don't want to rag too much on Chevy and Bose, because car sound is one of those things that's not very important to some. Chevy could have come out with a higher end package that still wouldn't have sounded that much better. Also, to be fair, the installer I worked with specializes in Porsches - and they do the same thing to the Porsche factory sound - rip it out, and put in the good stuff. They recommend getting base sound for Porsches since it's coming out anyhow.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by herschel
They recommend getting base sound for Porsches since it's coming out anyhow.
It would be nice if GM offered the same deal or better yet - radio delete for a credit.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
James Shearer
Racer

What are Focal K2P's (maybe that's your mids and highs?) If you have great sound, no weird DIC messages-warnings and no alternator whine-you'll get your money's worth with years of listening enjoyment. What kind of music you like?

Last edited by James Shearer; 10-18-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:32 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

See I told you it would be better to post your own thread.
I will ask again, did you leave the stock head unit in? Is that why the level converter?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

But........................... My Golf Clubs go there.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:30 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Originally Posted by TedG
See I told you it would be better to post your own thread.
I will ask again, did you leave the stock head unit in? Is that why the level converter?
Yes, from the equipment he mentioned a line level converter was added to the stock head unit (NAV system to be exact since he mentioned the cd changer with MP3) no reason for a converter on an aftermarket unit. Then RCA's were run from the low line output to the amps.

Interesting they went with the raised deck design, I have played with that idea myself. Now go upgrade your Big3 wires! It will be the best and cheapest upgrade you can make for your electrical system which will now need it with those amps you added.

If I ever get my freak'in C6 I will post step by step pics of my install since I will be doing it myself.
Nice system herschel.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:17 AM
herschel
Advanced

Focal K2P's are a 2-way system that replace the door speakers:
http://www.focal-america.com/catalog...er/165k2p.html

Focal Polyglass Subs, 209mm:
http://www.focal-america.com/catalog...glass/21v2.htm

Stock head unit stayed in - Nomad is right. Also, the new deck allowed for major wiring upgrades to everything. Lots of 4 gauge running around under there. Some 0 gauge. That stuff is ridiculous.

There's no way I'd ever buy a car that couldn't fit golf clubs in the back ;-). 911 barely squeezes into the rear "seat", and you better not have a 45" driver. I can still get two sets of clubs in the back of the C6 (carry bags only!).

Here's Rod's website:
http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/

Click on "installations" to see some of his work.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Runesabre
Instructor

Great stuff! I wonder what it would take to convince my wife to let me do this.

1) How does this setup effect/integrate with the Nav? Can you still use the touch screen presets?

2) How do you access the equalizer? Is it behind you?

Last edited by Runesabre; 10-19-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:59 PM
herschel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Runesabre

Great stuff! I wonder what it would take to convince my wife to let me do this.

1) How does this setup effect/integrate with the Nav? Can you still use the touch screen presets?

2) How do you access the equalizer? Is it behind you?
Nav unit works the same. I have the CD changer set to 88.1 FM. The 12 FM presets still work, but one of them is dedicated to the changer.

The equalizer is under the deck with the amps. It is calibrated at installation using their calibration system. Thereafter, you have the normal tone controls on the Nav. Plus, they added a separate control under the dash for the bass amp if you really wanted to rumble.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:04 PM
automa7ic
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by herschel
Nav unit works the same. I have the CD changer set to 88.1 FM. The 12 FM presets still work, but one of them is dedicated to the changer.
Don't you find that you lose a lot of sound quality with a FM modulated connection for your CD changer? I've tried using a small portable AA battery-powered FM transmitter with my iPod and it sounds like s--t with frequent static at any of the four possible frequencies (88.1 - 88.7).
Old 11-26-2004, 02:43 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

Pics are gone can you repost them?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:50 PM
TEAShea
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work. A good job - not a hack

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Audio Install <repost>