Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Are Old Bald Guys the only ones that like the corvette??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
My wife pointed out the guy in red shirt looks like me.
ok, why does everyone gotta be "that" guy? hopefully he doesnt drive anymore.... lol.

Me... im the one in the green, sophisticated, small bizz owner, much more capable than any of my feeble buddies. Unmarried, playing the field.... attending free coffee at mcds every morn. No cane or aux device needed.

Last edited by ratomicZ06; 12-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll have to ask my wife. Perhaps because he's the best looking.

I told her, can't be me, I never wear white socks.

And I don't need a cane either...at least not yet.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 12-18-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:11 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably TLTR, but here it goes........

I actually started looking at buying my first Vette in 1981, when I was 19. I worked with a guy who was pondering selling his 1978, which was sanitary and he was the original owner. I flashed a fat wad of cash at him, but he was dragging his feet. I never got it.

I looked elsewhere, but honestly, I was not a huge fan of the later C3 Vettes, and I had legroom issues with the earlier ones *I'm 6'5" with a lot of leg). C1 or C2 Vettes were not an option for the same reason. I put the idea of a Vette aside and continued with my 1974 Javelin/AMX project. Biggest mistake of my life. I pissed away $30,000 over the years on a car that spent hardly any time on the road. I eventually sold the roller back in 2012 and don't regret it.

Fast forward to 2014. The wife totaled our Civic, which was our daily driver. So the search was on for something new. My requirements were simple. Two doors, hard top, under $25K. New cars are **** for $25K and I was getting disappointed.

I wandered on to a Ford lot in Scottsdale and looked at used Mustangs. They just aren't my thing. Nice cars, but not for me. Then I spotted a white 2002 C5 convertible. Just for grins, I went to see if I even fit in it, and I did. The sales drones were on me like flies on ****. So, we went for a test ride. I liked it, and I figured if I could get them to move down a little on the $18,500 price (the car had 85K on it), I may be interested. Well, when they were done with the paperwork, they presented me a price of $22,500.

Seriously? So just for grins, I asked them what all the additional expense was. Of course, there was sales tax, and some other nonsense. But the best one was $1,200 for "De-germing" of the car. I told the sales drone "You realize it's July in Arizona, and anything in that car is surely dead". He didn't think that was funny and would not budge on the price. So, I walked. But I knew then that a C5 was what I wanted, only if I could find the right one.

Anyway, this long story is to establish that me, a 52 year old guy at the time, and not fat (but maybe could use a little more hair), was not desperately seeing to reclaim my foot in the purchase of a Vette.

Instead, a Corvette found me.

I was very casually poking around over the next month or two, not really looking at a single car. I had my truck and two motorcycles. I didn't need to rush. Then I saw one in Yuma. A 99 FRC which looked interesting. I made arrangements to check it out one day while I was on my way to San Diego from Phoenix.

I got to this guy's house. He had a 56 Chevy and the 99 FRC in the driveway, a 59 Vette and a 34 Ford in the garage. His garage and home were sanitary, and he was in a white T shirt and dickies, wrenching on his 56. I got a good feeling about this. Then when I introduced myself, he just tossed me the keys and said "Take it for a ride".

I liked the car but didn't make any offers there. He was asking 13K. I thought that was a bit high. The car had 100K miles on the clock. So we said our good byes and I left for San Diego. Later that night after the wife bugged me, I decided to call and see if he would take 11K for the car. He said sure. I was surprised. Two weeks later, I picked up the car and drove it home.

Two years later, I'm still driving and enjoying this car.

S.C.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I was 39 and a day when I bought my first brand new corvette and that was almost 20 years ago...I keep buying corvettes because no other car compares....

I had a full head of hair at 39 and now at 57 Ive got a shaved head ....

The way this works is the corvette is such an awesome drive once you buy one...you keep buying them...

That's why you see what you consider old bald guys driving corvettes..

At 39..my first new corvette 1999 z51

My favorite new corvette was this cam, headers ,gears z06

At 59

My present ls3 c6 z51 m6

My message to any one calling me an old fat bald guy stereotype is kiss my black @ss....hole cause one day you ll be us...(kidding)

The great thing about corvettes is the comradre of those who own the sports car....here's a friend of 15 years who when he travels back up north we still get together...corvette ownership is much more than just enjoying the car...it's about how cool 99 percent of the corvette owners are to each other.

My son now 21 years old is severely handicapped and I can to this day take him to any corvette event and the corvette owners treat my son like one of the guys...

So to sum up...the car crushes almost all other brands in performance ....it also brings you as an owner if your a good guy...into a family of diverse people who are pretty special people...

What other brand of sports car offers all that?

Jmo and happy holidays

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-18-2016 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wass (12-19-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are Old Bald Guys the only ones that like the corvette??