Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 3.7 sec and 65K from NCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3.7 sec and 65K from NCM

Some people questioned the "price source". I didn't have any problems with the sources, but here's my "Enews" from the National Corvette Museum I haven't seen in the forums yet. $65k + $800 destination charge, as in other sources.
Now where in the world is my 'Ring time hiding?

NCM eNews - June 13, 2005

Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price

The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges
Old 06-13-2005, 06:33 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Old 06-13-2005, 06:35 PM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am impressed with the $65,000 price for such a machine! Good job GM! Invoice and holdback at $60,000?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,416 Likes on 615 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

RELEASE: 2005-06-13

Corvette outperforms key competitive supercars at 1/3 the price

DETROIT – The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:
LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components
505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm
470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
6-speed manual transmission
7000 rpm redline
Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle
Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors
Dry-sump engine lubrication system
Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center
Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler
Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler
For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat and Black exterior colors.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

CONTACT(S):
Travis Parman
Chevrolet Communications
(313) 667-5051

Wendy Clark
GM Product Communications
(586) 492-8100
Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
z06z06z06z06
Instructor

yeah, i want to hear a ring time also.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default NCM Pricing Notice

NCM eNews - June 13, 2005

The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:

• LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components

• 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm

• 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

• 6-speed manual transmission

• 7000 rpm redline

• Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle

• Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors

• Dry-sump engine lubrication system

• Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center

• Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler

• Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow tintcoat and Black exterior colors.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Some other vehicles with a 3.7 second 0-60 factory time:

1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
1997 Porsche 911 Turbo
2004 Porsche Turbo X50
Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 PM
fingercots
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scissors
Some other vehicles with a 3.7 second 0-60 factory time:

1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
1997 Porsche 911 Turbo
2004 Porsche Turbo X50

having driven a 1997 911 turbo, i can tell you that sub 4.0 second 0-60 is scary fast.

but the fact of the matter is that even porsche turbos need to be launched HARD to get a time of 3.7 sec. thats where the awd comes into play.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by fingercots
thats where the awd comes into play.
Fried clutch!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
fingercots
Intermediate

yeah, well the car wasnt launched like this from every stoplight.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
GarryZR1
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

GM Engineer thanks for the post.

I hope they are around long enough for your full retirement
Old 06-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Don't be fooled guys. Read what the article says:

"Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear"

WILL ACHIEVE being the key words. This has not happend yet, rather, it is just an estimate from GM. We will have to wait and see real numbers.

Also, as far as the Porsche getting a 0-60 in 3.7..sure! But that is because its AWD. Take that same Porsche and race it against a C6 Z from a 60 to 150, and watch the Z fly away!..

0-60 is the best way to advertise, but definitely is irrelevant to a cars true performance potential.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by fingercots
having driven a 1997 911 turbo, i can tell you that sub 4.0 second 0-60 is scary fast.

but the fact of the matter is that even porsche turbos need to be launched HARD to get a time of 3.7 sec. thats where the awd comes into play.
..but then there is the wide range in price difference. I don't know, the Z06 offers much for the price tag, and as much as I love the looks of the Porsche, the Z06 kicks butt in this department as well.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Originally Posted by Garry Luterek
GM Engineer thanks for the post.
I hope they are around long enough for your full retirement
Thanks for the thought, Garry, but I'm not too sure how to interpret that.
I've been retired 8 yrs, since age 54.
I hope to collect my full pension until death. I guess that will be FULL retirement.

On the other hand, I planned for GM "following" US Steel in dropping pensions/benefits.
Lord, I love my 401(k), now rolled over into my very own IRA.

US Steel >> USX with no obligations to former employees.
GM >> "GMX" with no "obligations". Saves health care costs of $1600/per car. Plus no pensions.
Sounds pretty attractive to the bean-counters, who will "keep theirs".

After all, isn't planning what we engineers are supposed to be trained for?
"Waterloo"? As in "Deere". Hope they're healthy.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Originally Posted by Zlicious

"Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear"

WILL ACHIEVE being the key words. This has not happend yet, rather, it is just an estimate from GM. We will have to wait and see real numbers.
Alphabet Soup = FTC. Google "FTC". Item # 1 is:

Federal Trade Commission
FTC works to eliminate unfair or deceptive marketplace practices. Site includes areas of FTC involvement plus a complaint form for consumers.

www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm

If GM puts it in a press release (they just did), they have to have data to back it up.
The FTC would not take kindly to parsing the "will achieve" like you did.

Imagine some poor GM lawyer slob assigned to defend
"Nah, of course we meant the meaning of 'Will Achieve' is future tense, instead of present tense".
And then, "It depends on what the meaning of 'Will' is. We thought it meant 'maybe it will' in our release".

Much as I hate to admit it, there is a need for lawyers to look over the shoulders of engineering and marketing and advertising. We engineers are especially prone to using "engineer speak" that can be twisted by "their" lawyers.

The long way of saying the C6 Z06 not only "may do" or "can do" 3.7, the "has done" data is on file.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I think the price is VERY FAIR and its about time GM ends the freaking suspense and finally get the price announced. Looks like I will be nice and patient until my 02 Z falls out of warranty in 2008, at which time I will pick me up a nice used BLACK BAD boy 07 Z06 with POLISHED WHEELS (they can keep the navigation) I want the POWER and PERFORMANCE BABY of this true SUPERCAR!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 586 Likes on 401 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Zlicious

Also, as far as the Porsche getting a 0-60 in 3.7..sure! But that is because its AWD. Take that same Porsche and race it against a C6 Z from a 60 to 150, and watch the Z fly away!..

0-60 is the best way to advertise, but definitely is irrelevant to a cars true performance potential.

If the C5 Z06 (2002 and newer) achieved 0 to 60 times in 3.9 to 4 seconds, how in the heck do you not anticipate that the new Z being the same approx. weight with 100 more ponies and 75 more fts lbs (will not be 2 to 3 tenths of a second faster than the 05 Z? These times with a professional driver will be a NO BRAINER as the new 06 Z is GOING TO FREAKING HAUL AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 3.7 sec and 65K from NCM

Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTI 427 Roadster
If the C5 Z06 (2002 and newer) achieved 0 to 60 times in 3.9 to 4 seconds, how in the heck do you not anticipate that the new Z being the same approx. weight with 100 more ponies and 75 more fts lbs (will not be 2 to 3 tenths of a second faster than the 05 Z? These times with a professional driver will be a NO BRAINER as the new 06 Z is GOING TO FREAKING HAUL AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!
Show me where a major mag got a 0-60 in 3.9 secs for a C5 Z!

Also, the C5 Z does not have the power to weight ratio the C6 Z has. Do you have any idea how hard it is going to hook up this monster from a launch with its runcraps on it? Runfalts, 505 hp, 3130 lbs, 2.66 1st gear ratio..Good luck hooking that thing up!

Now, if they put drag radials on the car and were able to actually get the FULL power to the ground, I will be the first to say that the Z will hit a 0-60 in 3.5 secs! So remember, I am not saying the Z does not have the power..boy does it ever, but traction on that car is going to be a big problem given the circumstances I mentioned above..

jmo
Old 06-14-2005, 12:18 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,190 Posts

If any of you skeptics want the press release on GM letterhead, just click on:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=2&docid=15764

The "destination charge" for '05 Corvettes is $800, so if it remains the same for '06 the Z06 MSRP, not including destination charge, is a nice round $65,000 - DOCUMENTED! That's the final answer. Congrats to whoever won the contest.

And congrats to those who have MSRP contracts in hand and to the dealers who wrote those contracts. I don't think GM will have any problem selling the planned 5000 production to dealers, however, it will be interesting to see how much the big city dealers (the usual list of scoundrels in LA, SF, Seattle and across the country) markup from MSRP. Hopefully those cars will sit on their lots accumulating flooring charges like most of the Ford GTs currently are because guys refuse to pay ridiculous markups.

However, looking at the 2LZ content for $2900 I can see why GM production planning is calling for an 80/20 1LZ/2LZ ratio. No thanks. I don't wanna "pimp my ride". The three grand should fund a couple of tire replacements, which may be frequent!

And kudos to Car and Driver who at least were in the ball park with their "60-65 large" prediction back in January. Most of the other magazine bozos were totally out to lunch.

Duke

P.S. Puleeeeeeez, I was hoping this thread would not turn into another mindless argument over "0-60". Give us retired GM engineers a break and take it somewhere else!

Last edited by SWCDuke; 06-14-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Hopefully those cars will sit on their lots accumulating flooring charges like most of the Ford GTs currently are because guys refuse to pay ridiculous markups.
My local ford dealer has 2 GTs in his showroom. Didn't look at number 2, but number 1 had a MSRP of ~150K and an asking price of 400K...

Quick Reply: [Z06] 3.7 sec and 65K from NCM