Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:15 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Day
thats is freakin fast...well i also predicted it around 7:45ish..anyhow

now what I dont understand is..ppl say the C6 Z06 is leaps and bounds ahead of the C6 incomparison to C5Z06 and C5..but the C5Z06 bettered the ring time by almost 22secs where as here the C6Z06 was only 16...

so my question goes..then isnt C5Z06 leaps and bound ahead of C5 vs C6Z06 over C6..
I don't think so at all. As the performance numbers get lower it takes more and more car to get there.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
I don't think so at all. As the performance numbers get lower it takes more and more car to get there.
or less car....(read weight)..
Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to look at this, or one of the best ways, is too look at the competition. So, the C6 Z with it's 7:43 beats the:

Murcielago
Gallardo
Pagani Zonda
Porsche GT2

That is just to name a few. I would say GM definitely did a wonderful job, and all at 1/4 of the price..
Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

That's very impressive to say the least!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Tom, I copied my IM to you here being that you mentioned it in this thread. I was not bragging at all but merely saying that the source was correct.
Hey, I don't mind you bragging at all! You got it right. My only concern was that you might be jumping my (and a couple of others that asked) case for asking for a source.

To be honest, I wasn't sure at all that was the case, but I couldn't tell for sure. I wasn't jumping you on this either, just pointing out that if you were, that it wasn't fair to be upset with us for asking the source.

I also understand that you can't always reveal a source. I still ask!

Congrats to you on the scoop!

Old 07-17-2005, 06:29 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat04Z06
Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
ajindfw
Racer

These numbers are damn impressive. A few suspension tweaks, R-Compounds and extreme testicular fortitude and I bet we could see 7:35ish.

We're really reaching a level at which premier sportscars should come from the factory with a cage and six-point restraints.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by ajindfw
These numbers are damn impressive. A few suspension tweaks, R-Compounds and extreme testicular fortitude and I bet we could see 7:35ish.

We're really reaching a level at which premier sportscars should come from the factory with a cage and six-point restraints.
It would be nice if they at least put the mounting points in.

Michael
Old 07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Just for the record, the wheel is symmetrical. Some Corvette Team members get a chuckle from threads that say it's asymmetrical.
If they're chuckling at that, then they've gotta be laughing their asses off when someone claims that they actually measured/felt/saw one in person that was asymmetrical.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scissors
If they're chuckling at that, then they've gotta be laughing their asses off when someone claims that they actually measured/felt/saw one in person that was asymmetrical.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Glad to hear that they have an official time for a production C6 now.

So now the official 'Vette list is:

8:18 - C5
7:59 - C6
7:56 - C5 CE Z06
7:43 - C6 Z06

The C6 Z06 7:43 time is impressive and the C6 7:59 is pretty good, a few tweaks to the C6 Z51 suspension and it could shave a couple of seconds more.....
Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

thats is freakin fast...well i also predicted it around 7:45ish..anyhow

now what I dont understand is..ppl say the C6 Z06 is leaps and bounds ahead of the C6 incomparison to C5Z06 and C5..but the C5Z06 bettered the ring time by almost 22secs where as here the C6Z06 was only 16...

so my question goes..then isnt C5Z06 leaps and bound ahead of C5 vs C6Z06 over C6..
The C5Z06's non runflat GY F1 SC tires were more "leaps and bounds" ahead of the base C5 runflats than the rest of the car. That, and the shorter gearing account for a very large part of the difference.

The C6Z has to be damn different to outrun the already fast base C6, both of which are on Gen II runflat tires. It's the whole "diminishing returns" concept.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

They can laugh all they want, but the cars I sat in at BG in May were both asymmetrical. The line engineer agreed with me when I pointed it out.

Having said that, I sat in a new HHR couple weeks back, and I'll be damned if it didn't have a symmetrical 3 spoker, complete with steering wheel buttons. I suppose GM actually does have more than one wheel design out there, but I can't figure out why they would do such a thing!

As long as we get the HHR wheel, it's all good.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zlicious
The best way to look at this, or one of the best ways, is too look at the competition. So, the C6 Z with it's 7:43 beats the:

Murcielago
Gallardo
Pagani Zonda
Porsche GT2

That is just to name a few. I would say GM definitely did a wonderful job, and all at 1/4 of the price..

Do you know how many zonda's are made each year?

like 30 or max upto 75..now just think if vette was made in that number...what would GM ask for it? 700k or a mil? and now which do you think deserves to have a 550k or a 700k price tag? piece of art in the form of a car(zonda) or the Z06?

same for murcielago and all..they surely are mass produced compared to zondas..like 1000 or so..I dont see how price ever plays a role in here??

Last edited by 1Day; 07-17-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Howdy!

Because prices aren't normalized based on production numbers - the price is the price is the price ...(etc). What's heavier, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?

EVERYONE here gets the concept of production volume relating to pricing - EVERYONE also gets the "value" proposition of exclusivity (and how that relates to the aforementioned pricing relationship). Everyone understands, you make less, they cost more.

HOWEVER, regardless of the WHY or the HOW a price is determined, in the end your talking about a $70K car -vs- $200K+ cars, period. There are no ifs, ands or buts regarding the prices, they ARE what they ARE. There will always be comparisons based on price, because that is the limiting factor of ownership.

Cheers

same for murcielago and all..they surely are mass produced compared to zondas..like 1000 or so..I dont see how price ever plays a role in here??
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Do you know how many zonda's are made each year?

like 30 or max upto 75..now just think if vette was made in that number...what would GM ask for it? 700k or a mil? and now which do you think deserves to have a 550k or a 700k price tag? piece of art in the form of a car(zonda) or the Z06?

for that much cash they could have come up with a better rear for the zonda. that car has the ugliest ***-end evar.

Get notified of new replies

To Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Crash99
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteship
There is no 93 octane gas in So. Cal., how will this effect the car ?

How are the brake rotor vanes facing (front or rear of car) ?
When someone asked about the 93 octane, Dave just shrugged his shoulders. You can always add a touch of 100 octane racing gas or some torco or toulene if you want maximum performance. Keep in mind that 91 octane is the rule in all of CA, not just the bottom part

The rotors are just like the C6 Z51, correct on the left side and backwards on the right side...

Unfortunately Dave didn't take any questions at the Banquet and left at its conclusion. He was in the hot pits at the race today so all I had the chance to do was to shake his hand and thank him for the speech the night before and for all he does for the Corvette Family. He's a really straight-up guy.

He also implied that the car was stock at the Ring, but did not come out and tell us specifically the tires were stock.

Dave also said that "we really do listen to our customers. But that doesn't always mean we do what they ask. Otherwise we wouldn't have a car that's 5 inches shorter or with fixed headlights."

Speaking of listening to customers, it was confirmed by Karen Rafferty, Corvette Marketing Manager, that she often lurks on our humble Forum. So Karen, if you read this post, any chance we can see a Z in Mag Red? (Any chance you could take me for a drive in the Z while it's still in Sonoma? Better yet, any chance I can take you for a drive in the Z? )

One other thing I noticed on the car but don't remember if I read or heard it before was that the brake bleeder screws are on the outboard side of the brake to greatly simplify bleeding for do-it-yourselfers...

Another oddity was the passenger airbag light was located in the rearview mirror, not the center console like it is (I think) in the regular C6.

BTW, the NCM is holding a raffle for a new ZO6 if anyone is interested in taking a chance to get a Z for cheap and helping out a great cause...

I'm really tired from the long, hot days at Infineon. If I remember anything else I'll be sure to update...

Crash
Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And Mr Hill said sevveral times--Z06 production starts as scheduled end of July.Not everyone who wants a Z06 will get one in first year or so.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat04Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tomorrow night (7/16) we'll know for sure!