Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:57 AM
DJWorm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off subject

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I think the "insurance" issue needs an answer.

Do you really think that you will be able to just slap on a new $100 CARBON FIBRE fender on the C6 Z06 ?? I don't think so.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Howdy!

This has been a semi-interesting thread

Someone mentioned Porsche as a model for approaching AWD vs. 2WD in their cars. So let's say the high-end, track ready cars to compare are:

GT2 = Z06 (both rear wheel drive, light, high power)

And the entry level cars are:

Carrera = C6 (lowest output motor, etc.)

So the product missing from GM's lineup is the car that compares to the TT. The 996/TT (soon 997/TT) looks like this:

- High-power (Esp '05 S or X5), *close* to the track car

- Heavier and AWD (the latter being a contributer to the former)

So if GM were to fill in their model line to emulate Porsche - that would mean something like this:

- Base Chassis (steel vs. aluminum)

- Track car power (427)

- AWD

So then you would have a cruiser with the safety of AWD, the power of the "high end" track car, but less overall performance due to the increased weight from steel, AWD (and less exotic materials like CF).

And I *suppose* if we wanted to follow the Porsche model a little more, we'd have a GT3 equivalent C6 like so:

- Lightweight (Al frame), big brakes

- "Base" (6.0L) engine

- Better seats, less options

One final comment about the GT2 to Z06 comparison - where I think Porsche is a little over-the-top, is completely removing any AH(PSM) from the GT2. I realize it's a "track" ready car, but drivers who want the ultimate Porsche track car but are new to performance driving should have a bit of security - just make it where you can bypass it 100% (I think even the TT with it turned off, still has some failsafe where it kicks in, unlike the C5/C6 with it turned off)

Just more of my miscellaneous ramblings!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM
SSRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by vizkiz
One piece of advice for you: never go into OT

OT?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SSRogers
OT?
Off Topic...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

I hope GM can find the funds to do an AWD sports car, but please badge it as a Cadillac. A Corvette that won't do a tail-out powerslide like a sprint car would be a disgrace to the Corvette tradition.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I hope GM can find the funds to do an AWD sports car, but please badge it as a Cadillac. A Corvette that won't do a tail-out powerslide like a sprint car would be a disgrace to the Corvette tradition.

An AWD car can do this easily. That is a misconception. Gotta drive yourself a Subaru - loads of fun!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
An AWD car can do this easily. That is a misconception. Gotta drive yourself a Subaru - loads of fun!
Actually, my daily driver IS a Subaru, and it IS a blast. 2.5 L turbo 5-spd Forester. A real sleeper that embarasses stock Mustangs and Z28's.
I really like modern technology, but I prefer my Corvettes traditional, pushrods and all. Leave the AWD complexity (and price and weight) to Cadillac.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scissors
What do the Enzo and McLaren F1 have?
AWD Bugatti Veyron is *THE* king of the supercars.

It's impossible to say if RWD or AWD is better or not better absolutely. Different tracks, different performance needs, different platforms different handicaps that must be overcome.

FWIW Here is the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII FQ400. It Will out accelerate and out handle a Lamborgini Murcielago. (Note: We do not get the FQ400 trim here in the states).

I know of no other 4-door car that can claim that, not even an M5, and it get's the handling and acceleration from AWD. On this platform AWD makes sense.

Does it make sense on a Vette? Nope.

The reason is because the TRanny is mounted in the rear of the car (Unlike the AWD Holden), so a transfer case would have to be mounted right at the rear differential. The Second driveshaft would then have to transverse the length of the car back to the nose, and despite the fact there *is* an LSx AWD oil pan available I doubt it would mount to a Vette, as the C5/C6 mount their motors so low in the chassis we get the dreaded "bat-wing" oil pans that don't work as well as advertised.

So on a Vette with it's current lay-out, AWD doesn't make sense.

-Adam
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the added weight of a rear mount transfer case would be offset by the front diff and half shafts. Obviously, alot of weight added to the car... but I think its still duable... IMO.

FYI, C5 "bat-wing" pans were replaced by a more conventional looking pan on the C6... but I would concede that an AWD pan as shown in the pics I posted earlier in the thread probably would be too deep for a C6... let alone trying to develop a dry sump AWD pan for the LS7

Bill
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 AM
gr8whte
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by blandcastle
I was just thinking out loud, if there were a Z with all wheel drive offered(like the porsche), what would be the performance diff between that and the rear wheel drive? Or would it be worth the trouble?
No personal insults, it will not be tolerated!

Last edited by LTC Z06; 08-11-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

For gr8whte:

Read and heed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum guidelines and rules.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109
Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
CLeeVette
Intermediate

AWD is definitely an innovation in drive train technology which has an indisputable edge on certain tracks and stages such as the World Rally Championship. I might be biased since my last car was a Mitsubishi Evolution 8, and I enjoyed the benefits of an AWD on irregular road conditions. But I do realize that RWD has its advantages and are favorable on tracks.

Since the Corvette is an American icon and should carry its heritage as the American sports car, an AWD might not be fitting. I can respect that since it attributes to the Corvette’s character. Even being more general, I think most driving purists would say anything other than RWD is a heresy. So be it. But I say don’t put down an AWD because it has proved its worth on the track and on the streets. As I doubt AWD Corvette would ever happen, still I would be the first to buy one. But for now, the new Skyline is next.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Actually, my daily driver IS a Subaru, and it IS a blast. 2.5 L turbo 5-spd Forester. A real sleeper that embarasses stock Mustangs and Z28's.
I really like modern technology, but I prefer my Corvettes traditional, pushrods and all. Leave the AWD complexity (and price and weight) to Cadillac.
Dude, ! You have not beat ANY stock Z28, that has an LS1. Those cars are rated at just over 13 seconds in the quarter and we all know you aren't doing that kind of time. My son has a stock '98 TA (no ram air) and he would beat you so bad, you would cry for a week. Beat a Z28 with a forrester....... yeah right, and pigs fly too!

Last edited by blandcastle; 08-16-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blandcastle
Dude, That is ALOT of ! You are delusional if you think you can beat a stock Z28, that has an LS1. Those cars are rated at just over 13 seconds in the quarter and we all know you aren't doing that kind of time. My son has a stock '98 TA (no ram air) and he would beat you so bad, you would cry for a week. Beat a Z28 with a forrester....... yeah right, and pigs fly too!
FWIW If it's one of these Forresters than yes it's more or less as fast as a Trans Am (depending on options and trim)

Forrester STi

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

The above is pretty much a WRX STi in the body of a Mild-mannered Subaru.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
FWIW If it's one of these Forresters than yes it's more or less as fast as a Trans Am (depending on options and trim)

Forrester STi

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

The above is pretty much a WRX STi in the body of a Mild-mannered Subaru.
Again, I highly doubt it. I could be wrong, but doubtful. I have a friend that has a wrx sti. I beat him in my 02 SS by 3 or 4 lengths in the quarter. My son is closer than that. Like I said this is my experience, thats why I have a hard time believing it.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
You almost need AWD with that much hp to get traction.
Nice to see you posting here, Carl. And, BTW, I agree.

Unfortunately, GM, has to get the TWO WHEEL versions into production first!

Quick Reply: [Z06] How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's