Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008: Demise of the 427 LS7

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Mobile Man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I wouldn't be surprised by such a move. All I remember right now is that the 3-valve heads had not made the power levels asked for by the time the team had to make the production decision. In my opinion, pushing the LSx block to 427ci was an absolute no brainer on GM's part, as they had to have known they could make the power they wanted this way. Switching back to smaller displacement after several more years of development AND making or exceeding the LS7 power level, seems very likely. The question is, does anyone know of a project within GM looking at this? The supercharged LS2 in the Caddy engineering demostration vehicle hints at something, just not sure what.....

Edit: I also believe GM will be moving foward with direct gasoline injection soon, so this probably requires a change in head geometry and the pistons, so it is likely GM would rebadge the engines.

Todd
I agree completely. The 3 valve head and GDI will change the product landscape considerably. While I don't think the 427 will go away, those changes could push the power potential through the roof without FI...certainly beyond the current RWD traction limitations. Emissions and gas mileage will likely be the reasons for the changes, however. Added power will be the icing on the cake. For the horsepower ******, however, GDI should help make it easier to do FI even with the high compression ratios.

It's all good!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:36 AM
SSRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by 04msmZ06

There's no substitute for cubic inches...
What? You're suposed to say...

No replacement for displacement.

It has much more of a "ring" to it.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 AM
SSRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by brianw21
Basically they show the LS2 and LS7 on the engine lists for 2006 and 2007. Then for the 2008 model year they are replaced by a LS3 and LS9.
Not exactly.

(From the DC thread)
Originally posted by CorvetteConti
The 2006/2007 Corvettes show engine codes of LS2 & LS7,
but in 2008 they very well may be LS3 & LS9 engines...
See the difference between your post and his?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,774 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by brianw21
I've been reading an "informed" thread over at DC:

LS7 Demise

Basically they show the LS2 and LS7 on the engine lists for 2006 and 2007. Then for the 2008 model year they are replaced by a LS3 and LS9. Both engine capacities are 6.2L the latter being supercharged.

He mentions:

LS3: 450hp
LS9: 600hp

I hadn't seen this info over here, and wanted some feedback. I would be VERY skeptical, except he has hit the nail on the head on everything "leaked" to date. Including the Six speed Auto. If this is true, it could make the 427 cars very valuable.

I don't think the 427 C6's will be anymore valuable, they just make too many, but I have heard the 2008 Z06 will have a 600 hp supercharged engine from my old retired GM engineer friend.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:12 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i'd much rather have the 427 anyway.

wonder what that would do with a blower on it
Old 08-19-2005, 09:03 AM
bmichael
Racer

rick says thanks everyone, I bought my car from him and he does read the forum.
He has brought info to the net in many cases before anyone else. cancellation of colors,paddleshift,etc,etc. I'm sure he'll catch some grief over this because I think he has a good source working for him.
Nice feedback, nice of you guys to acknowlege the source of the data -cool! I'll see if I can find out anything else
Old 08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
brianw21
Pro

Here is my opinion:

They know that they need to really up the HP ante to keep sales churning. Even more they want to stay on PAR with the Viper's numbers.

I don't think that they have that much head room left in the LS7 and keep it within parameters (MPG, Emissions, Cost). A supercharger allows them to use more common parts and EXCEED the requirements and targets.

The LS3 is just a move to use more common parts, and it gives the C5 Coupe owners a reason to upgrade in the magic 2-3 year window.

All in all it makes a ton of performance and business sense. Not to mention how much easier it will be to add a smaller pulley and really have some fun.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Could Be

The LS9 announcement brings to mind a lot of the threads that the forum has been looking at over some time. In particular, the PowerPoint talks by the GM Power Train people relating to the future direction of engine development, the articles on direct-injection gasoline engines, the articles on variable valve timing with a push rod engine, the use of a supercharger on the North Star engine and articles on the push rod the three valve engine. The August issue of AEI from SAE has an article which reports Toyota as saying that the gasoline engine continues to be the mainstream for future of the power train. The main issues are improving thermal efficiency and specific torque to be equal to that of a diesel. The key technologies to be used to accomplish this include direct-injection, supercharging, reduction of friction, lean-burn combustion, higher compression, advanced variable valves, precision controls and de-NOxing after treatment. That almost exactly duplicates the comments by GM Power Train. It appears that a lot of companies are thinking a like on what needs to be accomplished. The major difference seems to be in the means by which to accomplish the end.
From the technical perspective, the next Corvette engine could easily be smaller in displacement, be supercharged, use three valves, use direct injection and use variable valve timing (remember the V-16 design?) and still be a push rod engine based on the current small block. Such an engine could be more powerful than the current 7lt and more efficient in the use of fuel. Technically that would be doable and in keeping with the direction chosen by GM Power Train. So the LS9 described doesn’t seem to be completely a fantasy from a technical point of view.
The configuration of the actual engine will be driven by economics. Simply, what is the least expensive means by which GM can achieve diesel like efficiencies in a gasoline engine?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Mobile Man
Instructor

Bingo, IBT!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n1kon
I do think so...the rules changed this season which states that the race car must have a production variant.

If the c6r has a 7.0 engine then the street car must also the rules weren't like this before.
You got it, the rules changed on the Factory teams.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe, but variable timing is coming soon. Bigger displacement may work with the displacement on demand if it works good.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

if the gas prices still keep going up then we will see motor sizes go down ! and this horse power war will be over ! and so will the corvette we know an love .......J.M.H.O.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
if the gas prices still keep going up then we will see motor sizes go down ! and this horse power war will be over ! and so will the corvette we know an love .......J.M.H.O.

hopefully technology will prevail
Old 08-19-2005, 08:34 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
We heard this back in the early 70s as well....It took many years, but look at what forum we are in discussing it and the already known technologies that can improve even where we are today.

We haven't even seen mention of the increased automotive voltage systems that are still being looked at. That can increase milage and power. Things are going to get really cool before the end and we are forced to convert to something else.

Todd
Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSRogers
What? You're suposed to say...

No replacement for displacement.

It has much more of a "ring" to it.
Try telling that to the 1500hp TT Buick Grand Nationals.

The dispacement thing doesn't really take effect until after those HP #'s

Could it be that Cafe rules or whatever it is called will get more strict and they must get better mpg and a smaller displacement motor with a supercharger being tested could get better milage durning light acceleration, and maybe GM is developing displacement on demand with this motor that would make the LS7 obsolete? The LS7 isn't that far off from an LS1 so I do not think the development costs were too high on it. GM may have also figured the short LS7 run into the ZO6's price.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:00 AM
SSRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by GN1270
Try telling that to the 1500hp TT Buick Grand Nationals.
Take that same motor and make it a V8 and what would you have? It would be more than 1500.

Besides I was only telling 04msmZ06 the way that phrase is suposed to go.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 AM
LS6v
Racer

If the LS3 and 9 are coming out in the next couple of years I don't think any of us will really miss the LS2 or 7.

Having a 500hp 7,000rpm 427 Corvette would be awesome but I'll take a 600HP sc version anyday. I just hope these new rumors are true, and that gas prices are below $5.00 a gallon in 2008.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008: Demise of the 427 LS7

Old 08-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,404 Posts

I would rather they take the turbocharger route rather than the supercharger route. Nothing against superchargers, but they have always been the "bastard stepchild" to the turbocharger. There is just a lot more potential with turbos. And if the Z06 is suppose to be a road course car, those have always been the domain of the naturally aspirated and turbo engines. Even Mercedes, a long time supercharger user, is replacing their superchargers with turbos.

I also think turbos would have more market value on a $70K car, too. Look at how much market value Porsche has built with the 911 and GT2 Turbos.

Doesn't Twin Turbo 427 even have a nice ring to it? Yeah!!!

Michael
Old 08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Originally Posted by pdvale
Seems like alot of effort to create an LS7 engine and only have it in production for 2 years.

LS1 engines were out for 8 years, and the LS6 for 4 years.
Good point..., hard to believe they'd junk all that R and D so quickly.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 AM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
We heard this back in the early 70s as well....It took many years, but look at what forum we are in discussing it and the already known technologies that can improve even where we are today.

We haven't even seen mention of the increased automotive voltage systems that are still being looked at. That can increase milage and power. Things are going to get really cool before the end and we are forced to convert to something else.

Todd
your right but it took 30 some years to get back to an high performance motor with ***** . I don't know about you but at 51 i don't think I have 30 years to wait for the power to return

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008: Demise of the 427 LS7