Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is Allied Holding the Holdup on Our Z06's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Is Allied Holding the Holdup on Our Z06's

I have been wondering for some time what the heck is going on with the slow delivery of our cars. It seems that many more cars are going to status code 3800 than are being shipped. Some Z's have been sitting around close to two months and many for extended periods of time - both in BG and in Detroit.

I did a little research on the Web this afternoon. As many of you know, Allied is the trasnportation company for GM, at least for Bowling Green. They filed a Chapter 11 in early August (reorganization) due in part to high costs of fuel and labor. I couldn't find specific information about a labor slowdown, but I did find articles from the Union discussing concessions that Allied is attempting to achieve.

Several thoughts come to mind. Is Allied holding GM hostage while it tries to negotiate a new transport rate? Is Allied itself being the victim of a labor dispute as they attempt to get wage concessions?

Either way, something is not right. Does anyone have any additional input.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:15 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799
Several thoughts come to mind. Is Allied holding GM hostage while it tries to negotiate a new transport rate? Is Allied itself being the victim of a labor dispute as they attempt to get wage concessions? Either way, something is not right. Does anyone have any additional input.
The GM - Allied relationship is an issue with respect to the cars in Flint, MI. I think the problem in Bowling Green is that they are producing a lot of cars (constant overtime) and have a backlog of earlier production "fixed" cars to boot. JDogg (and other sources) report "movement" with respect to the Flint cars - "movement" to where is something I am trying to find out. Anyway, I am more optomistic today than I was yesterday that my car may be here more in time for THANKSGIVING than CHRISTMAS
Old 10-14-2005, 05:22 PM
dexter
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an e-mail from my dealer, forwarding an e-mail from Allied. Looks like a lot of things left Allied's clutches today, mine included.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:45 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Good for you ! I am glad to see someone here, that had their car in purgatory, has some good news. Let us know when you get it!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:53 PM
bowtie_bias
Melting Slicks

They're driving them like they stole them and putting down blackies everywhere . They're also doing something called "chicken" . I heard since this new Z will hpt so much closer to 200mph than the last one , on account of the fastback coupe top and no silly notchback , that the game is much more fun with the 18 wheelers now . Here's a quote from an Allied driver : "....we promise to leave some tread on the tires and not to forget to turn the radio down..."

Last edited by bowtie_bias; 10-14-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:21 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allanlaw
The GM - Allied relationship is an issue with respect to the cars in Flint, MI. I think the problem in Bowling Green is that they are producing a lot of cars (constant overtime) and have a backlog of earlier production "fixed" cars to boot. JDogg (and other sources) report "movement" with respect to the Flint cars - "movement" to where is something I am trying to find out. Anyway, I am more optomistic today than I was yesterday that my car may be here more in time for THANKSGIVING than CHRISTMAS
I think you are restating the problem. I would like to think that if a manufacturer were to know they were ramping up production, they would notify their trucking company. Where is the movement with respect to the BG cars, where about 120 roll off the assembly line every day without fail.

Not a whole lot of anything else from American car manufacturers is selling, so where are the trucks?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 PM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Right now, the overtime schedule is for about 180+/- cars a day - 165 Corvettes and 15 XLRs - not exact numbers but close enough and easier to do the math.

They are shipping alot more ZO6's than you see here, as there are many others that are out there.

Since I'll be in the office every day next week, I'll try to post a breakdown of what leaves each day.

As of this morning there were 1400 cars at Bowling Green waiting to leave.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDogg
Right now, the overtime schedule is for about 180+/- cars a day - 165 Corvettes and 15 XLRs - not exact numbers but close enough and easier to do the math.

They are shipping alot more ZO6's than you see here, as there are many others that are out there.

Since I'll be in the office every day next week, I'll try to post a breakdown of what leaves each day.

As of this morning there were 1400 cars at Bowling Green waiting to leave.
JDogg - using your numbers and some simple math, 1400 cars represent about an eight day supply. How come, then, so many cars are still sitting there after weeks and weeks?

Based on that, my car should arrive at my dealer just as I go out of town for five days. Hmmm...anyone want to take a silver Z out for a spin?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 PM
JDogg
Drifting

JDogg - using your numbers and some simple math, 1400 cars represent about an eight day supply. How come, then, so many cars are still sitting there after weeks and weeks?

Based on that, my car should arrive at my dealer just as I go out of town for five days. Hmmm...anyone want to take a silver Z out for a spin?
Because the sample here is not a random sampling of vehicles. Remember that the NCM deliveries are not based on available trucks, but simply appointments.

A large number of the tracked orders here are NCM deliveries.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDogg
Because the sample here is not a random sampling of vehicles. Remember that the NCM deliveries are not based on available trucks, but simply appointments.

A large number of the tracked orders here are NCM deliveries.
That would make sense and thus slow down the delivery schedule until an available museum slot is found. Would you say that a museum delivery would delay getting your car?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:25 PM
JDogg
Drifting

That would make sense and thus slow down the delivery schedule until an available museum slot is found. Would you say that a museum delivery would delay getting your car?
No, In the average case, it will not.

In the early cars, which many were here, the cars were built with no promise of a release. That did affect the cars here.

If you have a VIN, you can do the rough math and plan for a date a couple weeks after your car will be built and things should be smooth.

Just with the number of cars on hand and a guess as to how many have the NCM delivery, the schedule there makes it anyones guess.

Since I have no connection to the NCM, and can't make a suggestion there, it is up to you (or the person ordering) to make the call to the NCM to figure out the timing.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 PM
mstan
Instructor

Default gmbuypower

In my area(san diego) gm buy power lists 27 z06's within a couple of hundred miles. Are these cars really at the dealers? Are they customer ordered cars or stock. If stock it would seem that they were shipped with priority over customer ordered units. Could this be? If the service campaign is finished on the early units, it would seem that the only ethical approach would be to ship the produced units in VIN order. Why would they not do this?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:09 AM
JDogg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mstan
In my area(san diego) gm buy power lists 27 z06's within a couple of hundred miles. Are these cars really at the dealers? Are they customer ordered cars or stock. If stock it would seem that they were shipped with priority over customer ordered units. Could this be? If the service campaign is finished on the early units, it would seem that the only ethical approach would be to ship the produced units in VIN order. Why would they not do this?
They do not ship in VIN order, only due to the fact that VIN order is not possible due to the spread of where cars go.

The Flint cars are not part of the normal process, and the situation there is being actively worked on.

Buypower goes by the units that are invoiced to the dealers, and yes, there can be 27 stock units available there.

Remember that there are still 1400 cars at Bowling Green that need to move, so it will take some time for all the cars to get out of there.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Allied Holding the Holdup on Our Z06's

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is Allied Holding the Holdup on Our Z06's