Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] An interesting Z06 visit (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM
paralizer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default An interesting Z06 visit (long)

Once again I am amazed at the behavior of a car dealer. I finally had the opportunity to go by a dealer who had a Z06 in stock for my first up close look. This particular dealer has a less than stellar reputation and has been the focus of a rather nasty thread in the past.
When I arrived there were two other gentlemen checking out the Z06. For the record the car is very impressive in person and I hope to own in the future. Can't wait for those lease returns. Also I should mention that I have owned 2 Covettes in the past.
The first surprise was the markup, $30k over. Even by Z06 standards thats pretty outrageous. So the other two gentlemen checking out the car and I started chatting. I mentioned that you could get a Z06 off the net now for sticker. After we had been discussing vettes and the Z06 for a while the sales manager stepped over. He decided to interject a comment into the conversation. As is sometimes the case when someone jumps into a conversation they weren't part of, his comment was inappropriate and erroneous. I am not one to let this sort of inappropriate comment go unchallenged. As I was informing the sales manager that his comment was unwanted and unsolicited, he started getting loud and agressive. I finally called him on that. I stated that he didn't need to raise his voice and pointed out that I was speaking in a calm tone and that he was getting unnecessarily loud and aggresive. His response was that I had been in his dealership several times and I always was talking s#*t. I had been there twice in the past when the C6 first came out checking the coupes and convertibles. What he says is talking s#*t, I say is being informed. On my prior visits when the sales staff approached me, I would correct them on any misinformation they might be trying to spread over me. He also said that I was just wasting his sales staff time. I calmly told him that I never approached his sales staff and that my prior visits had been done when there was little traffic in the showroom. I then looked him in the eye and told him that his dealer has a less then stellar reputation on the net and this kind of behavior just reinforces that perception. At this point he became very red and said I was a waste of time. He then walked to the door and held it open.
Intrestingly as our exchange went on all eyes, customers and employees, focused on our conversation. All activity stopped. I never once raised my voice to him even as his volume went up. I only stood my ground, spoke calmly and looked him directly in the eye. He also tried to physically intimidate me. He was at least 1 foot taller and 75 lbs. heavier than me. However, having worked in public safety for over 20 years I am not easily intimidated.
Once again it becomes obvious GM needs to have dedicated Corvette dealers with minimum standards. Sales staff and managers need to learn how to deal with well informed customers who will not accept every bit of BS a dealer spews.
For the record the dealer in question is Putnam Chevrolet in Burlingame, California.
I apoligize if this was somewhat long but I believe in giving praise where appropriate. And just as important is showing light on dealers who show poor business practices and treat customers poorly.
Paralizer
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

A couple of comments.

1.It's their business and if they want to try to sell over MSRP they can try. Given that, your comments damaging their chance at a sale so I see no problem with the manager asking you to leave and you should have. The forum is a good place for people to see if a car is going over MSRP and if those cusomers hadn't done their homework that's their problem.

2. There was no justification for unprofessional conduct. There is a right way to get someone out of their business and it should have been done here.

3. I think this is alway funny. "He also tried to physically intimitate me." The guy is the size he is. He isn't going to shrink in front of you. Unless he handles you I don't see it.

4. Stay out of that dealership, find someone you like and stay loyal.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

Did you have any intention of buying the car at MSRP??

I am sure dealers get their fair share of tire kickers that have no intention of buying.

If you have the money to buy one I would choose another dealer.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

>>> I mentioned that you could get a Z06 off the net now for sticker.

Zero over MSRP and zero wait time?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick McDaniel
1.It's their business and if they want to try to sell over MSRP they can try. Given that, your comments damaging their chance at a sale so I see no problem with the manager asking you to leave and you should have. The forum is a good place for people to see if a car is going over MSRP and if those cusomers hadn't done their homework that's their problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 PM
paralizer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdvale
Did you have any intention of buying the car at MSRP??

I am sure dealers get their fair share of tire kickers that have no intention of buying.

If you have the money to buy one I would choose another dealer.
In answer to your question, no I didn't intend to buy. I simply stopped by to get my first up close look at the car. Part of the function of the Z06 is to draw traffic into the showroom. However, the other gentlemen that were checking out the car had stated they thought the $30k over was inappropriate and that they wouldn't buy at that price. One also mentioned purchasing out of state which is what led to my comment. But our conversations were in a normal tone with no other customers around. If the manager had not jumped into the conversation uninvited this confrontation would not have occurred.
As for the attempt at physical intimidation, I do think someone of the managers size who comes right up to me and then leans into my face is trying to intimidate me. In a business setting this is completely inappropriate.
Paralizer
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 143 Posts

A couple of comments.

Wait.... What damaging comments? That a Z06 can be found for less elsewhere? They have a right to try and bend us over and we have a right to try and prevent it - simple as that. If the OP walked in to verbally fight that's one thing, but until I see a sign saying: you are only welcome if you like our prices and intend on purchasing now the OP did nothing wrong.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bob53
Wait.... What damaging comments? That a Z06 can be found for less elsewhere? They have a right to try and bend us over and we have a right to try and prevent it - simple as that. If the OP walked in to verbally fight that's one thing, but until I see a sign saying: you are only welcome if you like our prices and intend on purchasing now the OP did nothing wrong.
It was in a private business.The price was 30K over MSRP. There were two people looking at the car. Someone preventing a sale should be removed.

Damages-Comments intended in taking a potential customer out of a private business preventing a sale of a high margin limited car.

I don't see the sense in paying over MSRP unless someone wants a car without waiting. If someone doesn't care, this is their dealer.I don't like dealers asking over MSRP either but some feel they may only get one so they can try.

If customers are willing to pay over MSRP that's their business.

Again, there is a right way for a business to handle this situation.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:11 PM
camille
Racer

I believe every word of the original post. Thank you for calling the dealership out by name. I am amazed by the number of salespeople and "managers" in car dealerships who are too lazy to learn about the products they sell and resort to lying and/or defensiveness when someone becomes interested in a car that they have been authorized to sell. Many, it seems, don't even like cars - period.

I can completely imagine the physical intimidation stuff as well. Completely inappropriate for any business. Total losers. If they keep it up, they'll go the way of their neighbor, Anderson Chevrolet in Menlo Park. One of their former crooked salesmen, Kurt, was similarly rude and verbally aggressive when I asked reasonable question about my place in line for the Z06 at that dealership. He migrated to Putnam - a perfect match!

I'm in the Bay Area and I will steer very clear of Putnam. I'm at 3800 with a vastly better dealer in the Bay Area.
Thanks for the post.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 AM
vettemaan
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is most dealers are full of ****. I remember when I was 16, checking out a C5. (I'm 21 now) The sales guy told me that it would do 200 "and thats in 4th gear" "and then you can re-chip it to go faster" and after talking longer he also called the viper a motorcycle on four wheels, and the corvette could smoke it.

hah great memories
Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of comments.

2. There was no justification for unprofessional conduct. There is a right way to get someone out of their business and it should have been done here.

3. I think this is alway funny. "He also tried to physically intimitate me." The guy is the size he is. He isn't going to shrink in front of you. Unless he handles you I don't see it.

4. Stay out of that dealership, find someone you like and stay loyal.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 AM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree...

Originally Posted by bob53
If I were looking at a purchase which I had been led to believe that I had to pay a premium to get, and someone said I could get the same product THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS less, I would thank him and follow up his lead to check out all the details. I am pretty sure the dealer did not say..If you order one, there will be a wait, but you can get it at msrp.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
blackz06c6
Intermediate

the beautiful part of this whole deal is that you are only getting one side of the story. he had obviously been there before and had some how already pissed them off. then the comment about the price was the preverbial straw that broke the camels back.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
ljtC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by paralizer
Once again I am amazed at the behavior of a car dealer. I finally had the opportunity to go by a dealer who had a Z06 in stock for my first up close look. This particular dealer has a less than stellar reputation and has been the focus of a rather nasty thread in the past.
When I arrived there were two other gentlemen checking out the Z06. For the record the car is very impressive in person and I hope to own in the future. Can't wait for those lease returns. Also I should mention that I have owned 2 Covettes in the past.
The first surprise was the markup, $30k over. Even by Z06 standards thats pretty outrageous. So the other two gentlemen checking out the car and I started chatting. I mentioned that you could get a Z06 off the net now for sticker. After we had been discussing vettes and the Z06 for a while the sales manager stepped over. He decided to interject a comment into the conversation. As is sometimes the case when someone jumps into a conversation they weren't part of, his comment was inappropriate and erroneous. I am not one to let this sort of inappropriate comment go unchallenged. As I was informing the sales manager that his comment was unwanted and unsolicited, he started getting loud and agressive. I finally called him on that. I stated that he didn't need to raise his voice and pointed out that I was speaking in a calm tone and that he was getting unnecessarily loud and aggresive. His response was that I had been in his dealership several times and I always was talking s#*t. I had been there twice in the past when the C6 first came out checking the coupes and convertibles. What he says is talking s#*t, I say is being informed. On my prior visits when the sales staff approached me, I would correct them on any misinformation they might be trying to spread over me. He also said that I was just wasting his sales staff time. I calmly told him that I never approached his sales staff and that my prior visits had been done when there was little traffic in the showroom. I then looked him in the eye and told him that his dealer has a less then stellar reputation on the net and this kind of behavior just reinforces that perception. At this point he became very red and said I was a waste of time. He then walked to the door and held it open.
Intrestingly as our exchange went on all eyes, customers and employees, focused on our conversation. All activity stopped. I never once raised my voice to him even as his volume went up. I only stood my ground, spoke calmly and looked him directly in the eye. He also tried to physically intimidate me. He was at least 1 foot taller and 75 lbs. heavier than me. However, having worked in public safety for over 20 years I am not easily intimidated.
Once again it becomes obvious GM needs to have dedicated Corvette dealers with minimum standards. Sales staff and managers need to learn how to deal with well informed customers who will not accept every bit of BS a dealer spews.
For the record the dealer in question is Putnam Chevrolet in Burlingame, California.
I apoligize if this was somewhat long but I believe in giving praise where appropriate. And just as important is showing light on dealers who show poor business practices and treat customers poorly.
Paralizer

I would show you the door as well! You're bad for business and obviously not welcome there. Don't go back.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paralizer
In answer to your question, no I didn't intend to buy. I simply stopped by to get my first up close look at the car. Part of the function of the Z06 is to draw traffic into the showroom. However, the other gentlemen that were checking out the car had stated they thought the $30k over was inappropriate and that they wouldn't buy at that price. One also mentioned purchasing out of state which is what led to my comment. But our conversations were in a normal tone with no other customers around. If the manager had not jumped into the conversation uninvited this confrontation would not have occurred.
As for the attempt at physical intimidation, I do think someone of the managers size who comes right up to me and then leans into my face is trying to intimidate me. In a business setting this is completely inappropriate.
Paralizer
Dude! Your talking about car salesman...what did you expect? Do 1/2 of them have a high school diploma? You can't have an intelligent conversation with those people...this is why I NEVER go to dealerships unless I am ready to buy something...not even to look at the new Z. I HATE walking into those places!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

F that guy and the dealership

more importantly you mentioned MSRP on the net. PLEASE GOD WHERE???
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
>>> I mentioned that you could get a Z06 off the net now for sticker.

Zero over MSRP and zero wait time?

Were have you seen that??? Please let me know... Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To An interesting Z06 visit (long)

Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by louieT
Were have you seen that??? Please let me know... Thanks
me first me first lol

black....msrp...zzero wait time and i'm on a plane NOW
Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 PM
wetcream
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Dude! Your talking about car salesman...what did you expect? Do 1/2 of them have a high school diploma? You can't have an intelligent conversation with those people...this is why I NEVER go to dealerships unless I am ready to buy something...not even to look at the new Z. I HATE walking into those places!
From experience this is the best description of any car salesman and'or dealership I've had to deal with concerning car browsing and'or eventually making a deal which becomes more of a tragic comedy transcending into messing with their heads for as long I can before they figure out thats what they've forced me to do ..

The best part is too keep them walking back and forth with my offers to the sales manager who only exists as the toilet in the mens/ladies rooms .. but most likely he's/she's just looking in the mirror to see if he/she is sweating ..

... with the outcome always being "they don't make a no sale and I don't get a no car .. "

*giggle*

Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
waynet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sticker

Where can you find one in stock for MSRP? Not happening on the east coast! Not yet anyway!

Quick Reply: [Z06] An interesting Z06 visit (long)