Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Defective Muffler Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
George Lynch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Muffler Bearing

My Z06 vin is 496 built August 30th. The car now has 3,700 miles. The other day the exhaust got noticibly noiser. My investigation found that the butterfly in the exhaust tip was open at idle. After further investigation I found the cause for it being open was the passenger side vacuum hose was disconnected and hanging loose.
I discovered that the bearing, butterfly, activitating mechanism was misaligned during assembly. The butterfly fails to fully open by a few degrees. Also, the vacuum nipple on the actuating pot is misaligned to a point that the attached vacuum line is rubbing on a bumper locating bracket which is what knocked it off.

My question to all of you is: Was this a single incident or is this a common problem?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of one other similar case where the butterflies were stuck open, but no reason was given........
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasdude
I have heard of one other similar case where the butterflies were stuck open, but no reason was given........
Forum member out here in SoCal had one side stuck open - I told him to leave it that way because his car really sounded great. We are thinking of designing a mod . . .
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 PM
spicoli25
Racer

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Forum member out here in SoCal had one side stuck open - I told him to leave it that way because his car really sounded great. We are thinking of designing a mod . . .
I have the switch on the way. It sounds great opened. A switch will let you close it at when cruising at 65.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
32valves
Pro

great thread title........never thought I'd see the day when that phrase was posted as a serious issue
Old 12-17-2005, 10:59 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by George Lynch
My Z06 vin is 496 built August 30th. The car now has 3,700 miles. The other day the exhaust got noticibly noiser. My investigation found that the butterfly in the exhaust tip was open at idle. After further investigation I found the cause for it being open was the passenger side vacuum hose was disconnected and hanging loose.
I discovered that the bearing, butterfly, activitating mechanism was misaligned during assembly. The butterfly fails to fully open by a few degrees. Also, the vacuum nipple on the actuating pot is misaligned to a point that the attached vacuum line is rubbing on a bumper locating bracket which is what knocked it off.

My question to all of you is: Was this a single incident or is this a common problem?
George, I too have a sticking baffel. (Vin # 00360 built Aug 20th.) I am the forummember allanlaw was refering to in an earlier above post

I have left it that way because I prefer the sound being slightly louder since it is stuck in the open position. But now I am going to get one of LG Motorsport switches so I guess I will first take it in under Warranty to have fixed.

George,Is yours working OK now and which dealer did you go to?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 PM
George Lynch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TicketBait
George, I too have a sticking baffel. (Vin # 00360 built Aug 20th.) I am the forummember allanlaw was refering to in an earlier above post

I have left it that way because I prefer the sound being slightly louder since it is stuck in the open position. But now I am going to get one of LG Motorsport switches so I guess I will first take it in under Warranty to have fixed.

George,Is yours working OK now and which dealer did you go to?
I think I fixed it. It seems that the rubber reducer cupeling was not pushed all the way onto the vacuum pot nipple leaving the big end back far enough to rub on a bracket. I pushed the plastic vacuum hose back into the big end and the small end all the way onto the vacuum pot nipple. This placed the big end in front of the bracket so it wasn't rubbing on it and the plastic vacuum hose, although close, was not touching the bracket. I am going to keep an eye on it to see if any problems develop.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
dexter
Team Owner

I'm just a couple of numbers away from you on the VIN and have around 3,000 miles on mine. No problem yet with the exhaust system.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 AM
bpf1970
Intermediate

George,

Were both sides open or just one? My exhaust (both sides) has been open for a while now but I really haven't inspected it that closely. It happened during a track event. I'm not sure I understand where you found the problem... did the vacuum hose fall off or did the bracket rub a hole it it?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:26 AM
George Lynch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bpf1970
George,

Were both sides open or just one? My exhaust (both sides) has been open for a while now but I really haven't inspected it that closely. It happened during a track event. I'm not sure I understand where you found the problem... did the vacuum hose fall off or did the bracket rub a hole it it?
Both sides were opened(total loss of vacuum in this system). The hose fell off.

Get notified of new replies

To Defective Muffler Bearing

Quick Reply: [Z06] Defective Muffler Bearing