Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ls7 into 2007/2008 cts-v ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Racer Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuG
OMG
Why is everyone pissed off?
Why do you care if GM puts LS7 in some Caddys or other cars?
It doesn’t make Corvette any less of a car
CTS-V is in totally different segment, it will be much slower than Z06 due to weight, so what the f**k is your problem?
Elitism at it’s finest

BTW: The more vehicles share the motor – the cheaper the aftermarket will be.
Thank God F-bodies shared LS1 – this allowed for very reasonable prices for internal LS1 mods.
Otherwise we’d be paying Viper prices for heads/cam etc.
This also accelerated aftermarket development as they’re tons more cars for tuners to experiment with.

Yeah I don't get it either. I would think this is a good thing! Gives them another reason to continue the production of the LS7. Plus putting that in the CTS makes a bad *** Caddy! It would nice to see it smoke the new M5.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Why is using a ZO6 engine in a CTS-V the least bit suprising at this point? My 05 CTS-V shares the LS6 used in the previous C5 generation ZO6.

It is abundantly clear from reading this thread that the idea of using the LS7 in a Cadillac or any other undeserving vehicle is unpleasent to some elitists. This has been done before and will hopefully happen again.

Ya don't want your Corvette motor in a Cadillac? Tough!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EuG
OMG

Thank God F-bodies shared LS1 – this allowed for very reasonable prices for internal LS1 mods.
This also accelerated aftermarket development as they’re tons more cars for tuners to experiment with.
Let them do it. In a few years the engine price will drop to 6-7 K ... and EUG and others will be putting them in their C5/C6's.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You all need to relax.Gm has to save a corporation.They will do what they need to to sell other vehicles they produce.The other vehicles with big Hp are all limited production.They are using what they can inorder to have a Halo car for each division.This helps sell the regular units.If Gm doesn't advance all of their products they will get run over by the competition.Then what.Your sweet A$$ Corvette will become a history discussion.
Don't think for a moment that the Corvette will lose its place.It will only get better with the plan.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default You Bet!

Originally Posted by outnumbered
You all need to relax.Gm has to save a corporation.They will do what they need to to sell other vehicles they produce.The other vehicles with big Hp are all limited production.They are using what they can inorder to have a Halo car for each division.This helps sell the regular units.If Gm doesn't advance all of their products they will get run over by the competition.Then what.Your sweet A$$ Corvette will become a history discussion.
Don't think for a moment that the Corvette will lose its place.It will only get better with the plan.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I heard that the LS7 is going to be used in the 07 UPS Trucks.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

kinda cool actually. but i agree that its the wrong motor for that car and that demographic. and even if they do go for it, the caddy still weighs way too much and has too many other shortcomings to put up numbers anywhere near the Z06.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
jspinetto
Advanced

Originally Posted by drmustang

put me on the list for that ride !
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
What happened? I thought they used Viper motors?
I guess UPS truck drivers wanted a performance boost
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by erics2000
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21545

will the z06 be further limit4ed by cadillac's need for the LS7 ?
Putting the engine in the Cadillac doesn't limit the Z06 in any way. In fact, it helps bring the price down.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by EuG
OMG
CTS-V is in totally different segment, it will be much slower than Z06 due to weight, so what the f**k is your problem?
Elitism at it’s finest

It's just plain smart. The price of the LS7 gets reduced, GM doesn't have to reinvent the wheel and waste cash creating a new engine that does the same damn thing, and the Corvette is in no way negatively affected. I love how some people believe that the best thing for GM is for every car they produce to be crap except the Corvette.

Last edited by Scissors; 02-28-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same debate 50 years ago when the fuelie went into the shoebox.
Now they are highly sought after by collectors. Viper motor now in a truck, outrageous vehicle. Companies have to be creative to stay in the public's interest. Cater to only one model, is a recipe to fail.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bwright
Sometimes GM's rank stupidity baffles me. The CTS competes with the BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class and Audi A4. As such, for a CTS-V sersion they should be concerned about the competitive front-runner in BMW's M3. That car currently uses a 333hp 6-cylinder but is soon to debut a V8 M3 with about 400hp. To counter this car the next CTS-V should go to a 450hp version of its current engine.

The Z06 engine should be put into the STS-V/XLR-V which are being faced down by the M5/E55 and SL55 respectively. In a recent Car and Driver test the STS-V was completely outgunned by the Mercedes CLS55 and M5 because the supercharged Northstar was simply not up to the task. As with the Corvette, GM needs to start thinking ahead of the competition instead of behind it.

Arguments about refinement of the Z06 engine are simply groundless. In the Z06 the engine seems rawer because some of the car's sound and heat insulation was removed to save weight. This would obviously not be the case in a Cadillac. Minor changes to the mufflers and engine mounts would also help quell any NVH issues. That is engine management and engineering 101. How does anyone think GM put the previous Z06 engine into the original CTS-V?
Again, Nice post, man! You definitely have a way with words. Well thought out, nicely done my friend.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EuG
OMG
Elitism at it’s finest

nice comparison about the f-bodies, the LS1 engine made a huge difference in their performance and made the difference between their performance and the mustang's a gap that ford just couldn't compete with, at that price level.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

I would also think that with high HP Car/Trucks becoming commonplace ..... the Z car might be less apt to have the insurance industry target its 505 Hp engine - and unfairly sock it with higher rates.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blandcastle
Again, Nice post, man! You definitely have a way with words. Well thought out, nicely done my friend.

The Z is the halo car.

The light from the Z will shine on those cars that use its technology.

This is why it is worth the investment to have a halo car that is the best in the world.

We get to drive the incredible C6 Z06 at a reasonable price.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,827 Likes on 1,155 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Bwright -

Originally Posted by Bwright
As such, for a CTS-V sersion they should be concerned about the competitive front-runner in BMW's M3.
Normally, I agree with your posts. But in this case I think you went in the wrong direction. The V car is GM's answer to the M5, not the M3. They don't care about the M3, in the least. They're after the autobahn cruiser market, something the M5 always seems to win.

The M5 and V are much more closely matched than the M3 and V. Both are circa 2 tons, and both have luxury as well as power and handling as key selling points.

As for the LS7 going into the V... yes, it's a great idea from a cost perspective provided GM can meet production demand with it. This engine does take a wee bit longer to make than the standard LS2 does. So if you have 3 markets for it (Z06, crate engines, and now V), you're putting a hell of a demand on the Wixom plant. Can they step up and make more? Maybe. We don't know.

I speak from some amount of "back-end" knowledge here. The LS7 was considered. Heavily. But it was determined to be too muscle-car-like for the likes of the Caddy and the idea has since been scrapped.

The supercharged LS2, on the other hand...

jas

Get notified of new replies

To ls7 into 2007/2008 cts-v ?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 PM
5decades
Racer

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
The reason GM is doing this is to play catchup to the other cars they think they are competing with in the CTS-V class, the BMW-M5 & Mercedes E55 AMG, both now have 500 hp normaly aspirated engines.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

By sharing motors in different lines means we don't have to worry about the vette going away. I think because of the XLR getting an SC is why the Corvette SS or whatever you want to call it is happening so I am not complaining.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
ItsFrench
Burning Brakes

If they drop an LS7 in the SS Silverado... I'm gonna lose it!

I just dropped a crap load of $$$ last June for my '05 SS Silverado, added a Magnuson supercharger, plus suspension upgrades and brakes. There's no way I'd be able to get back even close to the money I dropped in that dude.

I can see it now. My SS parked next to my '01 coupe (that I dumped a crap load of money into as well) in storage.

Poor me...

Quick Reply: [Z06] ls7 into 2007/2008 cts-v ?