Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bought a Porsche Cayman S instead of a Z06 (not me)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
5decades
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must agree with some of the comments. I too have looked at the Cayman as an alternative. My wife even loves the Cayman. But I'm sorry, I have always wanted something that will melt the tires and handle well at 160Plus, including the fact that there is "no replacement for displacement!. I will continue to wait in line for my Zo6 at MSRP!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
wotz06
Instructor

Honestly, I can understand why the guy would take the Cayman. Less powerful, a smart buy for someone not wanting to take any drastic move towards the best decision of his life... yeah.

Honestly, I think if you are offered a Z06 and don't take it unless you just really aren't that confident in yourself, take it!!! You'd be crazy not to. Hell, I'd pay my way through Driving School, you know he should be able to manage if just "settling" for a Porsche. The Z06 is the all time coolest supercar. period.
Think about it. To SO many people, the Z06 looks like regular C6, which isn't necessarily that bad. But for the true motorhead, this car is absolutely phenomenal. The technology alone still baffles me at how the hell GM makes profit on this stuff! It's , I swear.
The Z06 not only stands as the benchmark in the world as an "affordable" supercar, it also represents one of the coolest things about living in the . We can make stuff like this when we really put our minds to it.
The Porsche, okay it's a Porsche. An awkward looking one at that. It's crazy handling but the smaller power is kinda boring for me. The Z handles just as good and runs like a motha...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Well the part about not being able to test drive is valid but in this case I would say just trust our friends in BG.. ..

Bad A** Baby......
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
MagicMtnDan
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
I just think we should relax with all of the C6Z vs. (enter other competition here) attention.

You're entitled to your opinion but why does anyone need to "relax with all of the C6Z vs. others?" If you don't want to discuss it, don't post here. If you don't want to talk about cars and only the Z06 or Corvettes, you can do that.

I'm a performance car enthusiast who has tracked his Porsche Boxster S many times and I can't wait to get back out there with a Vette (hopefully a Z06).

Car forums are just like a bunch of enthusiasts hanging out in a garage talking cars. Some are into caring for their garage queens, some are into modifying their cars, others are into tracking and even street racing. One thing that's common to all car enthusiasts is COMPARING cars. It's what makes cars fun!

If it's not for you then that's fine. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

thanks to all the cf members that went over there and made us look like asses good work
Old 03-03-2006, 02:10 AM
dartdart
Instructor

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
Really interesting read and thread on buying a Porsche Cayman S instead of a Z06 on a Porsche forum (of course)- check it out here

And if you click here and scroll down you can read my post on the subject
As I came home tonight with my family I was behind a Cs, then side by side then in front. The look of the car is just ok. I imagine when I'm in my Z the result will be the same. She was not very aggresive
Old 03-03-2006, 03:59 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Originally Posted by dartdart
As I came home tonight with my family I was behind a Cs, then side by side then in front. The look of the car is just ok. I imagine when I'm in my Z the result will be the same. She was not very aggresive
The way I see it the Cayman is like a red-headed-stepchild. It looks like a cross of many cars: a little bit of Audi TT, mixed in with the old 911, the boxter, S2000, the miata, etc. It looks like a little of everything and has no distictive style. You can see the car everyday and still wouldn't be able to recall what it looks like afterwards. For 60+ grand you can choose so many others that would be better performance and overall value than the Cayman. Acuura TL, Lexus IS-350, M3, WRX Sti, EVO Lancer, 350Z, Audi S4, RX8, MB SLK350, M-Coupe, etc. just to name a few.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
thanks to all the cf members that went over there and made us look like asses good work
In the scheme of things I think the thread was pretty tame and don't think any less of CF members or Corvettes. Rennlist has a relatively open-minded group compared to some other Porsche boards. The best of the lot is Caymanclub.net where I don't think a bad word has been spoken about a competing brand.

Even after I decided to sell my C6 and get my Cayman I had second thoughts about the Z06. You guys have an amazing performance car here and have every right to be proud of it.

Alan
Old 03-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TetraU
Acuura TL, Lexus IS-350, M3, WRX Sti, EVO Lancer, 350Z, Audi S4, RX8, MB SLK350, M-Coupe, etc. just to name a few.
What kind of comparison is that?

Those are very different cars in performance and character. Of those, the Cayman has by far the quickest track times. The only car there that a Cayman owner would be cross-shopping is the M3. Most of the other cars appeal to a totally difference crowd.

I would say the Cayman owner would also have interest in Boxster, 911, Audi RS4, C6 coupe/vert, SLK55 AMG, M3, etc.

Those cars perform on the same performance level and driver involvement.

Last edited by Verrückt; 03-03-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 AM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Dan,
First, I specifically attempted to make a point in my original post that I was not intending to flame you at all.
You're right, a car forum is for a bunch of people to hang and talk cars. That said, you must remember that not everyone is going to agree with you.
I usually don't respond in any of the "this vs. that" threads, as it's all relative and usually just ends up resembling a bunch bickering grade schoolers.
But let's be honest here- this wasn't one of those threads. You were not attempting to launch a civil debate over C6Z vs. Cayman. You were specifically pointing out that some guy, somewhere, who's thoughts on cars and purchasing decisions should mean nothing to us, dissed the Z to get a Cayman. You then specifically pointed out your response in the rennlist thread to show everyone that you were on top of it.
All that does is get people riled up over nothing resulting in the outcome that rmitchell points out above.
But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 AM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
I guess you gonna have to eat your own words then.
Dependability wise JDpower rates Porsche next to honda.

And 911 is rated among the most dependable sports cars period.

And what's that right next to Porsche.....ummmm ALL of GM.
GM edged out BMW too.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6 ZO6 Killer
Alright lets think logically here ok..a porsche cayman s is around 65 g's price wise if im not mistaking? The corvette c6 z06 is also around 70 g's if you dont get all of the options that are available for it. So if the c6 z06 is around 10 g's more than the cayman s and outperforms the car in every field, i would think that anyone with that money would take the vette any day over the cayman. Even if you were a porshce enthusiast, I am guessing that you would want a more powerful and fun car. The z06 gets 18/28 miles to the gallon and is quite a smooth ride, so you can track the z06, take it on the drag strip, and drive it through town without even taking it out of first gear! I believe i stand for the Z06

that is assuming that you are not interested in interior quality as well. That is what alot of these people are refering to whey they say quality. The corvette interior is plastic junk porsche interior is made of nicer metals and real leather. Better quality. And that means alot to some people! If you havnt noticed the transmission , clutch setup isnt anything to write home about either. That is just what I have noticed but all the narowminders will never see that there are areas where the corvettes lack and that is why they are CHEAP sports cars. You get what you pay for.
I could buy a KIA and put 600 hp in it do some suspension work have about 30k total in it and smoke a corvette around a track and you will say its still a KIA, I will say its the best bang for the buck. Kinda like how the vette is still a chevrolet.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
The post you quoted is by KBS911. His is a ridiculous statement "a Porsche of any model, is more rare". I see so many 911s around here it's not even funny. It takes a discerning eye to differentiate a base 911 from the Turbo 911. The general public just can't tell them apart. Similar situation with the regular C6 vs. the C6 Z06. I've no problem with that, that's how the manufacturers intended. What is annoying to me is how people keep bringing up the fact that the Z06 looks very similar to a "regular" C6. That's how it should be imo. They're related, let's celebrate the similarities. We're talking performance cars here, not attention ******. Leave the "my car may be slower, but it gets more looks" home. BTW, Viper owners are the most guilty of using this statement, ever since the C6 Z06 came out, that's mostly what I've been reading over at the Viper forum.

plus check the resale on a 996 TT,they don't hold their value all that well.I love all these cars and would love one of each.The die hards on all the forums(Viper,NSX,Porsche,Z06)fiercely defend their respective brands and rightly so.The C6Z is the top dog right now and everyone knows it,plus imagine how much they would be if everyone wanted the same car.Up side of that is I'd get a good deal on a 997TT.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by rbarta
And what's that right next to Porsche.....ummmm ALL of GM.
GM edged out BMW too.
What is so surprising about this? GM does make very reliable vehicles. Esp. for their caddy and buick lines.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by JLC629
plus check the resale on a 996 TT,they don't hold their value all that well.I love all these cars and would love one of each.The die hards on all the forums(Viper,NSX,Porsche,Z06)fiercely defend their respective brands and rightly so.The C6Z is the top dog right now and everyone knows it,plus imagine how much they would be if everyone wanted the same car.Up side of that is I'd get a good deal on a 997TT.
I think %-wise they hold their value quite well for a mass-produced car.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is so surprising about this? GM does make very reliable vehicles. Esp. for their caddy and buick lines.
PeterK, did YOU actually write this, or is it someone else logged on as you?

And rmitchell242, Z06 interior is pretty nice, you might want to get out more. Yes, real leather seats. Yes some plastic pieces on the interior, same as the Porsches (unless you pay extra). In some areas of the interior, the Porsche wins out, designed with simplicity in mind and elegance. In others areas, the Z06 interior wins with a well thought out design with cool and practical features such as the HUD. BTW, I like Ferrari interiors better than either and love the Murcielago interior above all others, but that's just my taste, just as the Porsche is for you. In other news, FYI, the front-mid engine placement and rear tranny has been raved about for its accomplished balence without sacrificing practicallity. (similar to the raves Porsche Cayman gets for finally getting away from that impractical rear engine design, the Cayman mid-engine layout is speculated by many writers to be the future of the 911)

Last edited by rbarta; 03-03-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

that is assuming that you are not interested in interior quality as well. That is what alot of these people are refering to whey they say quality. The corvette interior is plastic junk porsche interior is made of nicer metals and real leather. Better quality. And that means alot to some people! If you havnt noticed the transmission , clutch setup isnt anything to write home about either. That is just what I have noticed but all the narowminders will never see that there are areas where the corvettes lack and that is why they are CHEAP sports cars. You get what you pay for.
I could buy a KIA and put 600 hp in it do some suspension work have about 30k total in it and smoke a corvette around a track and you will say its still a KIA, I will say its the best bang for the buck. Kinda like how the vette is still a chevrolet.
I had a chance to do that this week in Geneva. I sat in everything from a Z06 zo a Pagani Zonda F. It really makes sense to compare cars back to back in terms of interiors.

I like the Z06 and the low quality in areas is acceptable to me as I will only consider it a play car.

Some of the parts that felt the cheapest to me were the button bezel to the sides of the gauges (apply pressure and the whole fixture creaks and moves quite easily), the leather parts (I've never seen such a crappy shift boot), and the body itself (press the rear between the tail lights on either side and it feels like a cheap fisher price toy).

I did think the DVD-Nav system is better than many others I've used.

The difference to the more expensive cars is very clear. If lower quality doesn't bother you, then enjoy your Z06 and be happy. You have a damn fast car. If it does bother you, you have to pony up for the Porsche.

As a fun toy, I think I can put the low quality issues aside. I'll still have a 500 hp Audi for daily driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a Porsche Cayman S instead of a Z06 (not me)

Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

that is why they are CHEAP sports cars. You get what you pay for
The interior on my C6 was acceptable and a big improvement over the C5. I wouldn't call the quality or price of a new Corvette "cheap" unless you are used to driving Aston Martins.

You do get what you pay for and in the Corvette it is extraordinary objective performance while the Porsche gives you extraordinary subjective feel. If you want both in one car I think you need to open your wallet way wider than any of us have. I have recently driven a Ferrari and Aston Martin and think that the Corvette and Porsches come off as relative bargains compared to these $150,000 exotics.

Alan
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Can't fault the old 3800 V-6.

People also have to remember there is a huge difference between quality and reliability.

A stripped down Malibu is a complete POS quality wise, but it's probably damn reliable.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
The interior on my C6 was acceptable and a big improvement over the C5. I wouldn't call the quality or price of a new Corvette "cheap" unless you are used to driving Aston Martins.

You do get what you pay for and in the Corvette it is extraordinary objective performance while the Porsche gives you extraordinary subjective feel. If you want both in one car I think you need to open your wallet way wider than any of us have. I have recently driven a Ferrari and Aston Martin and think that the Corvette and Porsches come off as relative bargains compared to these $150,000 exotics.

Alan
I disagree. I think it's about the worst of any $70k car I've ever sat in. It is an improvement for GM though and I hope they continue to improve it.

It's also the fastest $70k car I've ever sat in so you have to take the good with the bad.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bought a Porsche Cayman S instead of a Z06 (not me)