Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pops out of 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
I was told I didn't know how to shift when I mentioned my Z06 popped out of third gear.Bottom line was GM replaced the tranny, after it popped out again and locked!...
There have been scores of threads since 2000 involving new Z06 owners with the shifter popping out of gear. The vast majority were fixed by the "fully seating of the shifter" advice. The remainder had tranny issue that usually were driver induced but still covered by warranty.

You err if you consider the "shifter" advice as an aspersion on your driving. Rather, it's the first step in triaging the issue.

Should close with a general comment to new members that posting a signature is helpful to those trying to help you.

Ranger
Old 04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
... The remainder had tranny issue that usually were driver induced but still covered by warranty.

Ranger
I couldn't disagree more with you comment, franky you comment is bull****, who the heck are you to imply that it was driver induced? Are you some kind of know-it-all?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zred06
I couldn't disagree more with you comment, franky you comment is bull****, who the heck are you to imply that it was driver induced? Are you some kind of know-it-all?
Actually he is..............you just embarassed yourself here bigtime.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sure he will offer you a logical response and cool the flame
Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...The remainder had tranny issue that usually were driver induced but still covered by warranty....
Did want to extend the courtesy of a reply, Zred06. But you might want to keep it a bit lighter here or else folks will think you run a hedge fund.

I used the word "usually" because trashed synchronizers and broken shift forks are usually caused by a driver missing shifts. That happens a lot with Z06s. Sometimes provoked by driver error; sometimes by a reluctant clutch pedal. Most of the Z06s in our Corvette club have had at least one tranny rebuilt and one replaced. All but one were warrantied with a wink and a nod. That experience, plus reading this forum and other Corvette forums for the past six years, constitute the basis of my opinion.

And again I used the qualifier "usually" which leaves a slice of tranny issues cause by manufacturer's defects. Still GM has covered virtually all these tranny fixes, including those due to drag racers missing many shifts.

A Z06 tranny poll was done a couple years ago and around 50% of the respondents had experienced tranny issues that required dealer repairs.

Meanwhile I made 500 passes in three Z06s and had no tranny issues. Why is that? Because I practice shifting every day with the engine off and oil warm. Not most days. Every day. That experience adds to my opinion that tranny issues are usually driver induced. No production tranny will remain unscathed by repeated strong missed shifts.

Opinions vary.

Ranger
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZOSicks
I have just over 200 miles on my Z & 3 times now when accelerating in 3rd (around 4500-5000 rpm's) the tranny pops out of gear.
I wouldn't be running it like that...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:10 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Did want to extend the courtesy of a reply, Zred06. But you might want to keep it a bit lighter here or else folks will think you run a hedge fund.

I used the word "usually" because trashed synchronizers and broken shift forks are usually caused by a driver missing shifts. That happens a lot with Z06s. Sometimes provoked by driver error; sometimes by a reluctant clutch pedal. Most of the Z06s in our Corvette club have had at least one tranny rebuilt and one replaced. All but one were warrantied with a wink and a nod. That experience, plus reading this forum and other Corvette forums for the past six years, constitute the basis of my opinion.

And again I used the qualifier "usually" which leaves a slice of tranny issues cause by manufacturer's defects. Still GM has covered virtually all these tranny fixes, including those due to drag racers missing many shifts.

A Z06 tranny poll was done a couple years ago and around 50% of the respondents had experienced tranny issues that required dealer repairs.

Meanwhile I made 500 passes in three Z06s and had no tranny issues. Why is that? Because I practice shifting every day with the engine off and oil warm. Not most days. Every day. That experience adds to my opinion that tranny issues are usually driver induced. No production tranny will remain unscathed by repeated strong missed shifts.

Opinions vary.

Ranger
Know it all!!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vegasdude
Know it all!!
He does, in fact, know it all!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

This was a comon problem with all manual Corvettes even the ones in 1968 and 1969. Manuals end up having more issues.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Z06
He does, in fact, know it all!
I guess I need to pray to an new almighty? I just want to say that I totally disagree (still) with the comments made about "usually" driver induced failures, with 600 miles on my car, which by-the was just our of the break-in period and I was babying it, shifting very slowly caefully and definitely not abusing the drivetrain, it began popping out of gear. The comment from the dealer that "the syncronizer looked like it had 100,000 miles on it" was clearly an indication that the transmission had what they called a "birth defect". From other's experience here, it sounds like there is connection. I agree that if you are racing and miss shifts, you could bend a fork, etc. You can't have a syncronizer look like it had 100,000 miles on it after only 600 miles. I think it is fair to say that there are some other forum member cases of low-mile failures which would indicate that a QC problem from the manufacturer exist. Anyone who sits in their car for hours, shifting with the engine off is a true corvette fanatic.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vegasdude
Know it all!!
As I said he wood cool the flame with logical explanation.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I need to pray to an new almighty? I just want to say that I totally disagree (still) with the comments made about "usually" driver induced failures, with 600 miles on my car, which by-the was just our of the break-in period and I was babying it, shifting very slowly caefully and definitely not abusing the drivetrain, it began popping out of gear. The comment from the dealer that "the syncronizer looked like it had 100,000 miles on it" was clearly an indication that the transmission had what they called a "birth defect". From other's experience here, it sounds like there is connection. I agree that if you are racing and miss shifts, you could bend a fork, etc. You can't have a syncronizer look like it had 100,000 miles on it after only 600 miles. I think it is fair to say that there are some other forum member cases of low-mile failures which would indicate that a QC problem from the manufacturer exist. Anyone who sits in their car for hours, shifting with the engine off is a true corvette fanatic.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that in your case in particular that you personaly damaged your tranny.Mine slipped out 3 times and I believe it was driver error.Yours obviously is not.The gentleman is only sharing his experience.Sometimes when we post we don't always get our message accross very well.Many times it takes 2 post.
Hope your tranny is corrected soon and properly.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:49 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 968 Likes on 574 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Bad syncro! Plain and simple.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

...man, there sure are a lot of Jimmy Crackercorn wannabes out there....
Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I couldn't disagree more with you comment, franky your comment is bull****, who the heck are you to imply that it was driver induced? Are you some kind of know-it-all?
Don't let that bull**** artist influence you, nothing like having a bunch of commy bastads around here.
HOGWASH
Not just BS, but ***king Bull S**t
...What a bunch of wanking blokes!
My simple suggestion for Zred06 is to forget about a career in sales.

I guess you aren't worried about voiding the warrantee, Mobil 1 is the only recommended oil to be used in the Corvette....
X-pipe is a total waste of money
That is why I started this thread, Chevrolet's claims for the C6 aren't correct. 0.1 sec 0-60 difference is not 3 mph difference through the 1/8th mile, if the cars are 50 lbs different in weight and hp and drivetrain are the same then why the big difference?
...I had the same with my C6 Z51....
I keep hitting the rev limiter, I owned a 2001 Z06 and never remember hitting the limiter, then I had a 2003 M3 which redlined at 7500 rpm and now with the C6 Z51 MN6, I feel like the engine is just getting going when it hit the rev limiter....
And a second suggestion, this one for other members, according to his posts elsewhere on the CF, Zred06 does not own or drive a C6Z06 and there are conflicts in his claims of owning other cars. So caution is warranted in reading advice that he may give.

Ranger
Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

My simple suggestion for Zred06 is to forget about a career in sales.

And a second suggestion, this one for other members, according to his posts elsewhere on the CF, Zred06 does not own or drive a C6Z06 and there are conflicts in his claims of owning other cars. So caution is warranted in reading advice that he may give.

Ranger
First of all, I have and still do make a great living in sales, so put a sock in it and keep shifting your car with the engine turned off while dreaming.

Second of all, there is clearly a QC problem with the trannies of all C6 (Z51 or Z06) manual transmissions which is what I was pointing out. You think you know it all and probably have convinced yourself that you do, I am sure. You are a good example of the "I know it all and because of it, I am better than you" kind of person, also known as a supiority complex. I think your last message conveys that pretty well. I wish you well.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...You think you know it all and probably have convinced yourself that you do, I am sure. You are a good example of the "I know it all and because of it, I am better than you" kind of person, also known as a supiority complex. I think your last message conveys that pretty well. I wish you well.
Congratulations, Zred06, you've given me the occasion to find and use the "ignore list."

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Pops out of 3rd

Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Congratulations, Zred06, you've given me the occasion to find and use the "ignore list."

Ranger
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ranger
I think old Zred just one-upped Jimmy....we can see who took the high road on this one.... Ranger!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:14 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CB1953
I think old Zred just one-upped Jimmy....we can see who took the high road on this one.... Ranger!
Ranger absolutely took the high road, like I do all the time and still this person wanted to "dis" him....................******!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pops out of 3rd