Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough Ranger!

Thanks but no thanks!

I have spoken to Carczar, and he describes it as "under acceleration, it pops out of gear and winds up in neutral between gears". I haven't driven his car and I haven't ridden in it, so I can only go by what he has told me and the fact that I know he owns and drives many performance cars and has for a long time.
FYI, my Z06 had the same issues,popped out of gear! GM replaced the tranny..car still pops out of gear or simply "is not in gear"..

No more lectures about shifting please!

cheers

R

carzar you have PM
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
Enough Ranger!...No more lectures about shifting please!...
Fine Ruf-Racer. Suggest you put me on your ignore list. Sure hate for you to suffer through any more of my "bad" advice.

Ranger
Old 04-07-2006, 03:02 PM
carczar
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Transmission Problems

Originally Posted by MVGVL8N
The "strong" centering spring Ranger is referring to is actually a full 360 degree rubber bushing which encapsulates the pivot ball of the shifter. I have occassionally noticed the tendency for the shift from 3rd to 4th to be difficult similar to not wanting to go into gear. I just put back in neutral like the old double clutch routine, then gfirmly and commandingly pulled down into 4th. It may seem a little unorthodox, but you just have to do it.

Ranger's technique for shifting works, so practice and stick with it (no pun intended).

Also, installing the shifter detent space washer on the detent spring on the transmission helps considerably in the shift effort and greatly reduces the notchity feeling. I think I've posted before regarding this mod.

Thanks for all the advise guys, but this is not the driver, I have owned four Z06's and many other Vetts.this thing sticks in a spot thats not there. If you put in the clutch and pull; it out it will move to wherever you want i t to.
All the Chev.
regional reps have driven this car and conclude It's the car, this only haqppens when your on it, under normal driving conditions you can't tell there's anythingh wrong... I don't think they would have sprung for a new Tranny if they thought it was me....
Old 04-07-2006, 03:21 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carczar
Thanks for all the advise guys, but this is not the driver, I have owned four Z06's and many other Vetts.this thing sticks in a spot thats not there. If you put in the clutch and pull; it out it will move to wherever you want i t to.
All the Chev.
regional reps have driven this car and conclude It's the car, this only haqppens when your on it, under normal driving conditions you can't tell there's anythingh wrong... I don't think they would have sprung for a new Tranny if they thought it was me....
Is the shifter going into 3rd but nothing is there?Engaged but no 3rd?and if yes when you pull it out and put it back does it work?Another fellow said your was popping out of gear under acceleration.I am confused.Also If you have read my posting I have a friend with a 3 rd gear issue on06Z51.Glad they got it fixed for you.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...My Z06 vin 0499 shifts fron 2ond to somewhere between 3rd and 5th, this spot is nutural, go figure, they have been trying to fix this since Dec and no joy, Adjusted the linkage and just changed the transmission. Still does the same thing.
...I don't think they would have sprung for a new Tranny if they thought it was me.
But with the new transmission, you find your car is exhibiting the same symptoms as the old transmission.

Before anyone leaps to a hasty conclusion that the common denominator is...., what do the Chevy regional reps say now about your identical symptoms with the second transmission?

Ranger
Old 04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

.....>> Trying to get an new car under the Cal lemon law...But GM says sorry this is a limited production car and you cannot have another...
Carczar,

I read your post as saying that GM agrees that you have a “Lemon”, however, because you have a “Limited Production Vehicle”, they won’t give you a new car!

I’m confused, if your problem truly qualifies under the CA. Lemon Law; what difference should it make that the C6Z is a limited production vehicle? Does California’s Lemon Law specifically exempt limited production vehicles? If so; how do they define a limited production vehicle?

Save the Wave

Jim
Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 PM
loudv8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earlier this year bought an 02 Z06 with 60k miles. Test drove it before buying and loved the stock shifter. Sounded like cocking a gun with each shift and shifter was firm and positive. I have had no problems and shift with a "normal" grip. Recently purchased a B&M short throw for my C4. After getting out of the Z, the C4 felt like an oar on a boat!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:47 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by markbrown.com
I sometimes “not often” will forget what gear I’m in, but have had no problems with the shifter.
It would be nice to have a number on the HUD to show what gear you are in
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 PM
TetraU
Drifting

All the Chev.
Sorry I jumped the gun. Thought you were a porsche driver making things up. Looks like you have a twilight zone in your gear box.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Anyone heard of this one, My Z06 vin 0499 shifts fron 2ond to somewhere between 3rd and 5th, this spot is nutural, go figure, they have been trying to fix this since Dec and no joy, Adjusted the linkage and just changed the transmission. Still does the same thing. Trying to get an new car under the Cal lemon law...But GM says sorry this is a limited production car and you cannot have another...
I wonder what you'd think of one of our 18 speeds....
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 AM
carczar
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Transmission Problems

Originally Posted by Ranger
There is a conflict between what carczar says are the symptoms and what 3charmed says carczar's symptoms are.

If the tranny has been changed and the shifter still misses the gate into 3d gear, then that strengthens my view that it's most likely a driver issue.

If the new tranny is popping out of 3d gear, all the more reason to ensure the driver properly seat the shifter all the way to the end on the travel in the 3d gear gate.

Ranger
RANGER, Please read my mail again, I never said the tranny pops out of gear, it does not, it sticks between 3rd and 5th, many dealer mechanics and div reps drove this car and came to the same conculsion that I did , IT STICKS, GM may not be the smartest peiople around but hey are not going to install a very expensive tranny because they think I dont know how to shift, by the way, this is my 4th
Z06 and I have had many other Vetts, I do know how to shift.....
Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

RANGER, Please read my mail again, I never said the tranny pops out of gear, it does not, it sticks between 3rd and 5th, many dealer mechanics and div reps drove this car and came to the same conculsion that I did , IT STICKS, GM may not be the smartest peiople around but hey are not going to install a very expensive tranny because they think I dont know how to shift, by the way, this is my 4th
Z06 and I have had many other Vetts, I do know how to shift.....
Originally Posted by 3charmed
On Carczar's car, it is actually popping out of gear, this is after the transmission is engaged in gear, then while driving it pops out of gear....

Originally Posted by 3charmed
...I have spoken to Carczar, and he describes it as "under acceleration, it pops out of gear and winds up in neutral between gears". I haven't driven his car and I haven't ridden in it, so I can only go by what he has told me and the fact that I know he owns and drives many performance cars and has for a long time....
3chamed states that he has spoken to you and heard a different (or additional) set of symptoms.

Anyone heard of this one, My Z06 vin 0499 shifts fron 2ond to somewhere between 3rd and 5th, this spot is nutural, go figure, they have been trying to fix this since Dec and no joy, Adjusted the linkage and just changed the transmission. Still does the same thing....
Originally Posted by Ranger
[carczar] But even with the new transmission, you find your car is exhibiting the same symptoms as the old transmission.

Before anyone leaps to a hasty conclusion that the common denominator is...., what do the Chevy regional reps say now about your identical symptoms with the second transmission?
Please tell us what the Chevy regional reps say now, after a new transmission is in under warranty and you still have the same symptoms (There is no 3d gear gate). Have they, or anyone else, driven the car and been able to reproduce the symptoms?

Ranger
Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Is the shifter going into 3rd but nothing is there?Engaged but no 3rd?and if yes when you pull it out and put it back does it work?Another fellow said your was popping out of gear under acceleration.I am confused.Also If you have read my posting I have a friend with a 3 rd gear issue on06Z51.Glad they got it fixed for you.
Hey Carczar did you miss my questions?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Bob Schaefer
Instructor

Default "Porsche Driver"

Originally Posted by TetraU
Sorry I jumped the gun. Thought you were a porsche driver making things up. Looks like you have a twilight zone in your gear box.
You just can not post here without bashing someone can you??

RESPECTFULLY,
Bob S.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:07 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bob Schaefer
You just can not post here without bashing someone can you??

RESPECTFULLY,
Bob S.
Long post. Sorry.

First, some direct quotes from those who are trying to describe a problem in the Z06:

carczar: "...shifts [from] [2nd] to somewhere between 3rd and 5th , this spot is [neutral]..."

outnumbered: "Sounds similar to a friend of mine's Z51... It may not be the same.,,,When he shifted from second to 3rd at high rpm the shifter was fully engaged in 3 rd gear.He let the clutch out and nothing.there was no 3rd.He could freely rev the engine like it was in neutral.Once he took it out of 3rd and put it back it was fine. Is this the same as you are experiencing?Everyone told him learn to shift also.I know for a fact in his case it was not a miss shift."

outnumbered: "The shifter with out a doubt was in 3rd gear gate all the way...Once you pull it out of third and put it in any gear it was fine."

3charmed: "I know carczar, and he's NOT a "newby" Corvette owner. I don't believe it's a driver error situation. I've seen others post similar problems with [their] transmissions in the C6s. So you can hold the "learn how to drive" comments!"

3charmed: "On Carczar's car, it is actually popping out of gear, this is after the transmission is engaged in gear, then while driving it pops out of gear."

3chamrmed: "I have spoken to Carczar, and he describes it as "under acceleration, it pops out of gear and winds up in neutral between gears"."

outnumbered: "That sounds like the last thread [description]."

rufracer: "my Z06 had the same issues, popped out of gear! GM replaced the tranny..car still pops out of gear or simply "is not in gear".. No more lectures about shifting please!"

carczar: "this is not the driver... this thing sticks in a spot [that's] not there. If you put in the clutch and pull; it out it will move to wherever you want [it] to... only [happens] when your on it, under normal driving conditions you can't tell there's [anything] wrong... "

outnumbered: "Is the shifter going into 3rd but nothing is there? Engaged but no 3rd?and if yes when you pull it out and put it back does it work? Another fellow said your was popping out of gear under acceleration. I am confused."

carczar: "I never said the tranny pops out of gear, it does not, it sticks between 3rd and 5th, many dealer mechanics and div reps drove this car and came to the same [conclusion]... IT STICKS, GM may not be the smartest [people] around but hey are not going to install a very expensive tranny because they think I dont know how to shift...I know how to shift..."

Okay, so let's now put them in order of complainer, and try to reduce them some:

carczar:
"...shifts from 2nd to somewhere between 3rd and 5th , this spot is neutral..."
"this is not the driver... sticks in a spot that's not there."
" If you put in the clutch and pull; it out it will move to wherever you want... "
"only happens when your on it [i.e. he is trying to shift quickly, not 'normal' driving. [NOTE: This is a HUGE RED FLAG, many have experienced the same thing, but corrected their technique to resolve it.]... "
"I never said the tranny pops out of gear, it does not, it sticks between 3rd and 5th"
"I know how to shift..."
outnumbered:
"Another fellow said your was popping out of gear under acceleration. I am confused."
"[carczar's problem] sounds similar to a friend of mine's Z51...
"When he shifted from second to 3rd at high rpm the shifter was fully engaged in 3rd gear. He let the clutch out and nothing"
".I know for a fact in his case it was not a missed shift."
"The shifter with out a doubt was in 3rd gear gate all the way...Once you pull it out of third and put it in any gear it was fine."

3charmed:
"I know carczar... I don't believe it's a driver error situation.
"On Carczar's car, it is actually popping out of gear, this is after the transmission is engaged in gear, then while driving it pops out of gear."
"I have spoken to Carczar, and he describes it as "under acceleration, it pops out of gear and winds up in neutral between gears".

rufracer:
"my Z06 had the same issues, popped out of gear! GM replaced the tranny..car still pops out of gear or simply "is not in gear".. No more lectures about shifting please!"

My analysis:

1) carczar. 3charmed, and outnumbered need to talk amongst themselves to figure out what the real symptom is, because at least one of them is clearly confused. Now, if the thing is really popping out of gear, such as rufracer describes, then the shifter, linkage, or tranny is in need of service. But, if not, then please keep reading.

2) This is going to be cold, cold, cold, but it is really in the spirit of getting you relief: If carczar is as ham-fingered at shifting as he is at typing, then it IS operator related, no matter how convinced he and his coterie are of that it is not. "There is none so blind as he who will not see". I'll add "Especially if they are on their second transmission without relief". The 2-3 upshift can be a pain. I think you are hitting what we ex-bikers would call a 'false neutral'. Happens all the time on bikes, because some need a certain touch (some hard/some soft), that must be learned, and can vary from bike to bike. Please try the techniques offered, and report back. OR, have someone with a Z who does not experience the issue drive your car HARD -- this means someone other than the dealer techs (who are only going to emulate your own technique, with same results, and then nod in agrement, 'yup, I see whut ya mean'), This may sound harsh, sorry for my lack of suave, but I really am trying to get you relief. If you try these things, and still get no joy, I'll will gladly apologize publicly for being wrong in my attempt to help you out.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 04-08-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:21 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I give up.There are so many different things going on here.
Some guys continue to insist that if you have a tranny problem that it is the driver.
My friend posted his situation on the C6 section and got pretty much the same response.He gave up as well.
I think until a bazzar issue comes to some they will just not get it.Once you have it watch out!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The stuck in neutral between 3rd and 5th has been an ongoing problem with the clutch/transmission since the introduction of the tranny. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the tranny is located in the front or rear or what shift linkage design is used.

My 2000 Firebird Formula had exactly the same problem BUT the transmission location and the shift linkage are entirely different. There's no doubt that the "Ranger shift procedure" works to overcome the problem. The Firebird/Camaro Forums found a designed restriction in the hydraulic clutch line that partially solved the problem. Anybody know if GM still has that restriction in the hydraulic line in the C6/Z06? It was supposedly designed to soften the clutch engagement to save warranty driveline claims.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission problems

Old 04-08-2006, 11:31 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by haljensen
The stuck in neutral between 3rd and 5th has been an ongoing problem with the clutch/transmission since the introduction of the tranny. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the tranny is located in the front or rear or what shift linkage design is used.

My 2000 Firebird Formula had exactly the same problem BUT the transmission location and the shift linkage are entirely different. There's no doubt that the "Ranger shift procedure" works to overcome the problem. The Firebird/Camaro Forums found a designed restriction in the hydraulic clutch line that partially solved the problem. Anybody know if GM still has that restriction in the hydraulic line in the C6/Z06? It was supposedly designed to soften the clutch engagement to save warranty driveline claims.
When you say stuck in neutral between 3rd and 5th are you saying there is a position between the two gates?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

With all respect, let me reply,

I give up.
If that means 'give up trying to describe other people's problems for them, but without being clear on the facts', good idea. But if you mean that you have a car of your own, with a problem, I would say please DON'T give up -- someone on CF will be able to give you a hand!

There are so many different things going on here.
Yes, clearly there is a mixing in of symptoms here, some provided as hearsay.

Some guys continue to insist that if you have a tranny problem that it is the driver.
Respectfully, I disagree. What I have seen is that those with experience will share with others that if they have the SPECIFIC issue of missing the 2-3 upshift (over-rev, or hit false neutral, or go to wrong gear), that there is an easy, universal, and effective way to solve the problem -- just slam that love-puppy with your palm, with confidence, as hard as you can, with clutch to floor, and it WILL find the gate on it's own. Other methods are not as successful. As to the popping out of gear, rattles, noises, etc., many people have offered specific advice on those, and not claimed it was operator related.

My friend posted his situation on the C6 section and got pretty much the same response.He gave up as well.
Which friend, which situation, which symptoms?

I think until a bazzar issue comes to some they will just not get it.Once you have it watch out!
Well, I don't think missed shifts are too bizarre, myself, but if I travel to the bazaar, I'll be sure to watch for any used transmissions for sale cheap.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:41 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

When you say stuck in neutral between 3rd and 5th are you saying there is a position between the two gates?
There are no "gates", the shift linkage is a single rod that has only push/ pull and rotate functions. The linkage functions are all internal to the transmission. The shift lever comes to a dead stop in neutral and won't go into 3rd or 5th. It only seems to happen under hard shifts at high RPM and doesn't always happen. But the same thing happens to F body cars with their front mounted.transmissions and different linkage.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Transmission problems