Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Here is the update on My Z06 losing power at the track and why with PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Short-throw,

Please accept my apologies as well. I really appreciate this discussion and will be tracking the recommendations that follow.
No biggie as I'm sure I've run off on a tangent myself many a time!

We all need an occasional slap, myself included!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:57 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Apology accepted!

Dan, you're a class act so no problem pal.

Seriously people, this is an important topic and this thread will end up getting locked when it shouldn't be. If somebody wants to trash talk GM or the Z06, go ahead, but that wasn't the intent of this thread and we should stay focused.

I posted this to give people a heads up. Hopefully I have saved many people from some unsuspecting trouble.

If this car ended up like the one in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I would still love it!

Mike
Mike I am glad you are sharing this with us.Mine is just beginning and I would have never known.Sorry you were the guinea pig so to speak. So what is the condition of yours now?Do you still have the stickers?Did you get a new air box?
Dan
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

After we realized what happened, I had my car back almost immediately.
I am shy one sticker and I think the car is faster now that is weighs less!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:39 AM
KILR-Z51
Melting Slicks

After we realized what happened, I had my car back almost immediately.
I am shy one sticker and I think the car is faster now that is weighs less!

I bet that is a BIG relief to have your Z back and running GREAT again.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:10 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I can see a TSB in the making for this crap.. Or you can avoid this problem and just buy a whole aftermarket airbox system
Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think now that we all know this condition exist, it will not be long before there is clear cut remedy. Even if it means removing the the bottom pad from the get go.

My guess is you'll see a different design soon. I thought perhaps adjusting the dipstick so it actually shows less than what is actually there, but that would be treating the symptom and not the cause.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think now that we all know this condition exist, it will not be long before there is clear cut remedy. Even if it means removing the the bottom pad from the get go.

My guess is you'll see a different design soon. I thought perhaps adjusting the dipstick so it actually shows less than what is actually there, but that would be treating the symptom and not the cause.
IMHO it almost sounds like the system under stress is actually too full.If the engine can run fine with a little less oil and that keeps the indigestion down then it would appear to be a simple remedy.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
I can see a TSB in the making for this crap.. Or you can avoid this problem and just buy a whole aftermarket airbox system
Never fill the oil resvoir above the midddle hole on the dipstick.Check the air filter element after each track day for oil saturadion.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z11409
Never fill the oil resvoir above the midddle hole on the dipstick.Check the air filter element after each track day for oil saturadion.
I would be quite curious to see how many pads are loose or came off already while heeding this recommendation. I also wonder if this would curtail the purging period, or just minimize it just to find a pad off months or years later. Is it possible keeping the oil level below the middle hole could put us in a false sense of security?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by allanlaw
The adhesive remnant of the lower pad that is missing from my intake does not look like it came from double sided tape. It appears to be a silicone-based adhesive. It was very stringy and impregnated with motor oil. Since it looked like the strings could also migrate to and through the throttle body, I cleaned them off. The top pad seems very secure at this point, so I left it alone, but it clearly appeared to be glued down rather than stuck on with double-sided tape. Note - my car was a fairly early build (8/31/05), so they may have switched to tape later on.
Just took out mine today. They are glued in. Took about 2 hours to get them out and cleaned. Got 2 massive blood blisters and I cursed those 2 little bastards all the while. You can really use someone with small hands.
Not sure if I'd do it again as they are cemented in very well and I don't see them migrating any time soon.
Bob
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Just took out mine today. They are glued in. Took about 2 hours to get them out and cleaned. Got 2 massive blood blisters and I cursed those 2 little bastards all the while. You can really use someone with small hands.
Not sure if I'd do it again as they are cemented in very well and I don't see them migrating any time soon.
Bob

There is clearly a huge variance in how well attached these are from car to car. Mine almost fell out (C6 not Z06), I'd say about the same drag as a wet beer coaster on a bar. Hmm, may have to do some experiments on exactly how much drag that is...

Hope it is not too off topic, here are some other foamie-stickie things that don't inspire high confidence with me. These are located on the air shroud. These pics are unaltered, and the foam things in photo are exactly in the position I found them in. I wonder how many places we have 'foam-with-tape' construction making an important connection...

You can see one of them (first two photos) seems to have migrated quite a distance, maybe as it used the raised knit line as a sled runner - note the undisturbed sticky stuff underneath that was not ever apparently in good contact with the foam...

The other one (bottom photo) does not have as obvious a knit line, but still is wildly displaced from where it apparently belongs...

Last edited by TrackNoob; 05-25-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Here is the update on My Z06 losing power at the track and why with PICS!!!