Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] When do you guys think C6Z06 Prices will become reasonable????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
Well some people have more money than brains. But this statement shouldn't be interpreted as an offensive! Most of them have lots and lots of brains, it is just they got tons more money
Oh sure.....and they got all that money by being stupid right? It never ceases to amaze me. Jealousy is an ugly thing isn't it? BTW interpretation: I haven't got enough means to buy one of these awesome cars, so I will dog all the guys that have paid over msrp, even though it is none of my business . I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I had no problem dishing out 4k extra for my Z. I would do it again without hesitation. It comes down to this. If you have worked hard and know that you deserve something special, or if you simply have the means, you get it , even if it costs a little more than wannabes say that you should pay for it. Its about living, and if you don't get it, you probably won't ever get it. Go drive your vw and have fun. I am sure you can get one of those for msrp...that will make you feel better.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by blandcastle
Oh sure.....and they got all that money by being stupid right? It never ceases to amaze me. Jealousy is an ugly thing isn't it? BTW interpretation: I haven't got enough means to buy one of these awesome cars, so I will dog all the guys that have paid over msrp, even though it is none of my business .
I never said they (you) were stupid. The fact that they (you) have more money than brains, in no way, shape or form implies that you lack brains. I mean this is all relative, one could be a genius and have so much money that they (you) just don't care for a small extra fee when it comes to their gratification!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I never said they (you) were stupid. The fact that they (you) have more money than brains, in no way, shape or form implies that you lack brains. I mean this is all relative, one could be a genius and have so much money that they (you) just don't care for a small extra fee when it comes to their gratification!
If I were a genius, I would have someone to do my replies for me.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I should rephrase that...
I meant to say that anyone who won't ever pay over MSRP is afraid that their weenie might shrink if they did.
That's more like it...
Old 06-04-2006, 03:59 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I should rephrase that...
I meant to say that anyone who won't ever pay over MSRP is afraid that their weenie might shrink if they did.
:o
Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

The value of any commodity is determined at the market place and not by the manufacturer. Porsche made the mistake of charging over $90K for their 40th anniversary 911 and had to offer over $10K rebates to their Dealers to move the cars. GM without question priced the Z too low, and the Dealers are reaping the awards of that error. The sticker price for the Z should be about $10K higher than what GM suggested, at least that's what the market is saying.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:06 AM
95cobraR
Race Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
Makes me wonder which set of psycho-babble words might describe my joy,derived from planning to sell my $91.5K 06 Z06 for a huge loss when I pick up a new 07 for wayyyy over list?
It would be something characterized by firm convictions, not on observable or evaluative external perceptions, which are incorrectable; they are caused by the subject's projection of his own emotions to external objects.

This, of course, permits the subject to deny his internal narcissistic mortification and to accept narcissistic mortifications which are indicative of his inability to deal with threatening external objects.

JK, of course, please enjoy both the '06 and '07. I'm sure your dealer has those pesky expensive country club dues and private school education expenses for his kids that someone has to fund.

I just prefer to just pay for the dealer's new golf clubs.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 AM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:38 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sly1
The value of any commodity is determined at the market place and not by the manufacturer. Porsche made the mistake of charging over $90K for their 40th anniversary 911 and had to offer over $10K rebates to their Dealers to move the cars. GM without question priced the Z too low, and the Dealers are reaping the awards of that error. The sticker price for the Z should be about $10K higher than what GM suggested, at least that's what the market is saying.

I don't agree.. GM priced the car right its just demand makes people crazy and they pay more.
Plus they aren't making a million Z's so limit supply and you have a mark up..(In some cases anyway)

Its that simple..
Old 06-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

The value of any commodity is determined at the market place and not by the manufacturer. Porsche made the mistake of charging over $90K for their 40th anniversary 911 and had to offer over $10K rebates to their Dealers to move the cars.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the above point.

GM without question priced the Z too low, and the Dealers are reaping the awards of that error. The sticker price for the Z should be about $10K higher than what GM suggested, at least that's what the market is saying.
On this point you are mistaken. GM applied the same profit margin they normally assign to a flagship Corvette. That is a high enough mark up for GM to cover cost of goods and make a nice profit.

That does not mean that the selling price should necessarily be above, at, or below, MSRP. As you previously pointed out , the market determines what the actual selling price point shall be.

I believe that too many people are looking at MSRP as though it is some sort of Holy Grail when it is just an arbitrary figure. Supply and Demand will always be the ultimate determination of price point - period.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
GM applied the same profit margin they normally assign to a flagship Corvette. That is a high enough mark up for GM to cover cost of goods and make a nice profit.
I agree with all else that you say, but...

Please tell us how you would know the above?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:19 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Is it just me or does everyone who doesn't have a Z gripe about price and everyone who has one, doesn't care?
I think I have always viewed buying cars (I currently own 6 cars that I paid cash for - including an '05 S600 Mercedes), as "the art of the deal". It's a challenge that I thoroughly enjoy. And, since I have paid cash for new cars for the past 20 years, I enter the market when "cash is king". The timing of this is upcoming, as the signs of an economic downcycle are showing their ugly heads, IE: interest rate increases, overvalued stock market, weak job sector, slowing/slipping housing market, weakening retail sales (particularly automobiles), huge consumer debt, high gas prices, and the war in Iraq going badly, etc., etc.

I also determined many years ago, that I really only fully enjoy something that I buy when I feel good about the financial deal, particularly with large purchases.

So, I guess I'll just have to tough it out while I wait for the best timing to buy a ZO6, while driving my C5 and S600. Life is truly a bitch!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

I agree with all else that you say, but...

Please tell us how you would know the above?
OK try this out, GM didn't apply their usual markup. The dealer invoice is their dead cost of production & distribution with no profit whatsoever. Sound believable?

In other words, common sense.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well...I started looking today.
The dealer a few miles from my office has a VY '06 on the floor and is asking $15k, but the number changed to $10k over after a few minutes. I inquired about ordering an '07 for MSRP, and after a brief, behind closed doors, "good cop-bad cop" ploy, was told that would only be ordered for $10 over MSRP as well, with a non-refundable deposit.
I'm in no hurry, and would like to get into one sometime this fall.
BTW...this was Oasis Chevrolet on Route 9 in Sayreville, NJ.
S.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by Snorman
The dealer a few miles from my office has a VY '06 on the floor and is asking $15k, but the number changed to $10k over after a few minutes. I inquired about ordering an '07 for MSRP, and after a brief, behind closed doors, "good cop-bad cop" ploy, was told that would only be ordered for $10 over MSRP as well, with a non-refundable deposit.
S.

Now, that is totally un-ethical.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Now, that is totally un-ethical.
That's why I walked.
Conceivably, the story could have changed, but the initial terms were unacceptable enough.

S.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
CMacZ06
Racer

It's easy, order one at MSRP and wait awhile or buy one now over....Supply and Demand

Get notified of new replies

To When do you guys think C6Z06 Prices will become reasonable????

Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 PM
A427MAN
Pro

Originally Posted by Snorman
S.
Hey, 10 DOLLARS over ain't bad!!! I'd go for it, if I were you! j/k
Old 06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
funshipone
Racer

It is just a matter of time I believe by fall of this year. One just sold in Detroit at $5000 over 4 months ago they were getting $10,000 and $15,000 just hang in their.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this market turn is really starting to squeeze a lot of folks ....even z06-7.0 liter graced by the hand of ala-dealers will share the pain soon enough.

Quick Reply: [Z06] When do you guys think C6Z06 Prices will become reasonable????