Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gentlemen, check your roof.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Gentlemen, check your roof.

While my car is outside the VIN recall range (and I think the recall applies to both LS2 and LS7 Corvettes, not just the LS2), I don't have the peace of mind that I should. So I've been looking at the roof daily to see if I can notice anything different. Today is a 100+ degree day in SoCal, and I had to park it outside for a few hours. Just got home, and during the drive I did not hear the ticking/squeaking noise that I reported on a few weeks ago. However, after pulling into the garage, I looked closely at the roof and noticed that something was not right.

The front edge of the roof is flush with the frame and seems tight, as are the left and right edge. However, the back edge is very moveable, I can push it down near the midline, right on the edge, and it can move up and down, as if the glue has become undone. Also, I can see that a good section of the back edge is raised up from the frame (it is not flush). I also tried to pull the roof up where it is raised, by using just my fingers and I could lift it up a tad up further.

All this seems to me that it's just a matter of time before the roof flies off. Just for comparison, can you guys check your roof, all around the 4 edges, and let me know if they're all flushed, and that no part of the roof edge is raised, and that it does not compress and rebound with finger pressure? I know that there's some give in the roof, and that normally it is possible to push on ANY body panel and see some flex, that's normal. But my roof seems to be more easily moved.

I will give Connell Chevy a call Monday and see what they can do.

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 PM
camille
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly the same as mine - except here was enough space to slide my fingers all the way under the panel. There will be many more, I'm sure. Good luck with yours!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by camille
except here was enough space to slide my fingers all the way under the panel.
So what are you going to do? Is your car within the recall range?
Thanks for checking in! Good luck to you too.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Yep, it always starts at the posterior portion!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

I heard this problem is only showing up on Z's which were purchased for above MSRP.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:17 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Geneus
I heard this problem is only showing up on Z's which were purchased for above MSRP.
You heard wrong.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Nah, in fact the opposite is true! Cuz you know, the ethics code of hardworking GM dealers will not allow them to accept any money over MSRP, unless it is a compensation for their effort for securing the utter satisfaction of their customer base! So, be assured, these money didn't go to the pockets of some sleazy sales monkey, they went to pay for the extra glue and labor to securely hold the panels together
Old 06-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PeterK
Nah, in fact the opposite is true! Cuz you know, the ethics code of hardworking GM dealers will not allow them to accept any money over MSRP, unless it is a compensation for their effort for securing the utter satisfaction of their customer base! So, be assured, these money didn't go to the pockets of some sleazy sales monkey, they went to pay for the extra glue and labor to securely hold the panels together
LOL...I was just trying to add a little sacarsm. But to add to the theme, I personally don't begrudge any and all who bought their cars and paid more than the the list. More power to them. I personally wouldn't...not that I couldn't. But honestly, it is and remains a high production car...a commodity product, whether one wants to believe it or not. The demand still has been exceeding production...but that will end soon enough. And for those who paid extra in order to enjoy their cars sooner rather than later....
Old 06-03-2006, 08:31 PM
camille
Racer

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
So what are you going to do? Is your car within the recall range?
Thanks for checking in! Good luck to you too.

The dealer will have a whack at it on Monday. Whether it fits into the TSB or not, it's still completely covered by the warranty (regardless of the negotiated sales price).
Old 06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

The dealer will have a whack at it
Uh, bad choice of word, especially when we're talking about dealerships.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

The dealer will have a hack at it on Monday.

There...I fixed it.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
While my car is outside the VIN recall range (and I think the recall applies to both LS2 and LS7 Corvettes, not just the LS2), I don't have the peace of mind that I should. So I've been looking at the roof daily to see if I can notice anything different. Today is a 100+ degree day in SoCal, and I had to park it outside for a few hours. Just got home, and during the drive I did not hear the ticking/squeaking noise that I reported on a few weeks ago. However, after pulling into the garage, I looked closely at the roof and noticed that something was not right.

The front edge of the roof is flush with the frame and seems tight, as are the left and right edge. However, the back edge is very moveable, I can push it down near the midline, right on the edge, and it can move up and down, as if the glue has become undone. Also, I can see that a good section of the back edge is raised up from the frame (it is not flush). I also tried to pull the roof up where it is raised, by using just my fingers and I could lift it up a tad up further.

All this seems to me that it's just a matter of time before the roof flies off. Just for comparison, can you guys check your roof, all around the 4 edges, and let me know if they're all flushed, and that no part of the roof edge is raised, and that it does not compress and rebound with finger pressure? I know that there's some give in the roof, and that normally it is possible to push on ANY body panel and see some flex, that's normal. But my roof seems to be more easily moved.

I will give Connell Chevy a call Monday and see what they can do.

Thanks,
Working for a Pontiac dealer in the 80's, I recall problems with the plastic body panels on Fiero GTs. On hot summer days, the plastic panels on black cars would expand so much in the sun that you couldn't open the door, it would jam on the fender. We had to get in on the other side, drive it into the shop, and it would return to normal.
Sounds like the C6 roofs are expanding so much that the adhesive is shearing. Needs a more flexable adhesive.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It also appears to be mostly the darker color cars which would get hotter.Has any of the yellow or silver had problems yet?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

There...I fixed it.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:10 PM
waltershu
Instructor

what is the vin recall range ?

Get notified of new replies

To Gentlemen, check your roof.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gentlemen, check your roof.