Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Roof Popped!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
shintaaar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emaratee
Oh ... no

Temperature here in Dubai, UAE ... is a staggering F125 and humidity easily reaching 100%

But luckily my Z06 is still coping well with no upnormal sounds ... Touch wood ... at least till now
yar! keep an eye out as july coming in hot!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

This is really disappointing. I hope they fix this for you guys really soon. Thank God for the ballcap roof on my 04 Z06.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
GM had better be EXTREMELY concerned, because a flying roof can cause disastrous accidents on the road, even death. Imagine going 85 and it flies off, hitting another car in the back, causing them to swerve to avoid it, and causing a chain reaction accident. GM would be hit with tons of lawsuits and lose $$$. Better to find a fix QUICK! My car's top has settled back down in cooler temperature, but summer is coming, and it'll be 95+ real soon.
I don't want to keep being the bad news guy, but if you heard the sounds, it is only a matter of time before it comes off. After hearing roof noises, I checked my roof EVERY TIME I would park it after driving to work, out, etc., and it ALWAYS felt snug. I am still convinced it lifted way up last Sat. doing about 75 on the freeway...when I got home, it was tight. But the sound I heard was unreal. I'm telling you, you need to take it in, now. Monday, when mine came off, I checked it before leaving work and went about a half mile, and then thunk!...it had completely separated from the passenger side. I was just about to get on the freeway...doing about 40...scary to think about what might have happened down the road....
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Default I just have one word !!!!!!!!!!

FU(K

Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

GM will address this issue and quickly. I thought several Z06's had this problem. Not only is there a liability issue exacerbated by the fact that it is happening to the Z06, but this is the type of problem that does nothing to enhance GM's corporate image. Their flagship car having roofs that fly off.

At least mine is silver - makes a case for a vert.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Update 6-14-06:
Service tech just called, said that all of the GM tech people agreed that the solution was to send a new roof with the panel attached, paint and re-install. They are adding more adhesive foam between the roof and the panel ( the panel is the part that delaminates and comes off ) to make sure everything is snug. I think this is the same thing that camille is having done with his car. I will post more info as it comes in...already missing my blue beast!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Rippin C6!
Instructor

Default You gotta be kidding me...

Originally Posted by CB1953
Update 6-14-06:
Service tech just called, said that all of the GM tech people agreed that the solution was to send a new roof with the panel attached, paint and re-install. They are adding more adhesive foam between the roof and the panel ( the panel is the part that delaminates and comes off ) to make sure everything is snug. I think this is the same thing that camille is having done with his car. I will post more info as it comes in...already missing my blue beast!
This is on a $75k car....the roof is falling off!!! I am on a list for a 2007 and will be taking delivery in October...but this leads to a little bit of concern. I don't remember hearing anything about a Porsche/Viper/ or even a mustang loosing its roof. If GM is going to play with the big boys at the top of the price range, they will have to do better than this!!! Come on GM...this is BS
Old 06-14-2006, 03:56 PM
stapleking
Intermediate

Default delaminations

No, no, no.....youse guys jus don get it!

THIS is how you build a $75K Super Car. You can get comparable performance in the new Porsche Turbo AND the roof won't fly off. But the car costs $130K not $75K.

Youse pays yer money 'n takes yer chances..quit'cher belly-achin' and enjoy the best performance bargain on the planet, albeit one with some quality-assurance risk.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM
DrDan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Rippin C6!
Instructor

Originally Posted by stapleking
No, no, no.....youse guys jus don get it!

THIS is how you build a $75K Super Car. You can get comparable performance in the new Porsche Turbo AND the roof won't fly off. But the car costs $130K not $75K.

Youse pays yer money 'n takes yer chances..quit'cher belly-achin' and enjoy the best performance bargain on the planet, albeit one with some quality-assurance risk.

Now... I could understand a **** or two falling off .... but the ROOF!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 PM
stapleking
Intermediate

C'mon.....weren't you one of the guys wishin' for a Targa?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stapleking
C'mon.....weren't you one of the guys wishin' for a Targa?

i doubt the owners this is happening to would even find that funny

order panel (backordered for months)...has to be repainted at your stealership..then installed with super duper adhensive tape...then you pray it fits and the paint looks anywhere near the rest of the car :o
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
i doubt the owners this is happening to would even find that funny

order panel (backordered for months)...has to be repainted at your stealership..then installed with super duper adhensive tape...then you pray it fits and the paint looks anywhere near the rest of the car :o
You're right..it's not that funny to me...but just part of the ups and downs of life I guess. The tech told me that the roof panel was in stock and ordered, will be in Monday or Tuesday. The dealership has a top-notch paint guy, and I'm confident the match will be ok. Count me in as one of those skeptical owners when I first heard of this happening, even thought it was funny myself. I don't think like that now...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Good news CB. Sounds like things are well in hand, and it's great they're sending an entire roof structure, not just the thin panel. With the weather stripping line between top and rear cage structure, paint match should be a snap.

It really does sound like a process defect in adhesive application (not tape, Blu) the more I hear about. Hell, we can bond carbon fiber panels on supersonic airplanes with the proper adhesive technique. This will all get sorted out fairly easily.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:38 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good news CB. Sounds like things are well in hand, and it's great they're sending an entire roof structure, not just the thin panel. With the weather stripping line between top and rear cage structure, paint match should be a snap.

It really does sound like a process defect in adhesive application (not tape, Blu) the more I hear about. Hell, we can bond carbon fiber panels on supersonic airplanes with the proper adhesive technique. This will all get sorted out fairly easily.
Thanks Foosh...once again you inject some sanity into a troublesome situation. I look at it this way, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, so I might as well have a decent attitude! I am very confident in my service tech..he keeps me informed of everything that is going on..and GM seems to be going out of their way to make sure the fix is done right. I know your background, and your expertise in the aviation field on these matters is reassuring. (My dad flew B-17's and P-51's in WWII)
Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh

Yeah... well guess what? Airbus had a tail fin delaminate on them; it fell completely off the airplane. You may recall seeing the footage on TV where they were fishing the tail section out of the waters im Jamaica Bay near Kennedy airport a couple of years back. Everybody on board died.

**** happens. Even in the aviation industry with its extremely high quality control standards.

Trust me on this one guys:The sky is NOT falling. GM will take care of this problem and life as we know it will continue until some crazy Iranian blows us all to hell with their new nuclear toy.

Frank
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Yeah... well guess what? Airbus had a tail fin delaminate on them; it fell completely off the airplane. You may recall seeing the footage on TV where they were fishing the tail section out of the waters im Jamaica Bay near Kennedy airport a couple of years back. Everybody on board died.

**** happens. Even in the aviation industry with its extremely high quality control standards.

Trust me on this one guys:The sky is NOT falling. GM will take care of this problem and life as we know it will continue until some crazy Iranian blows us all to hell with their new nuclear toy.

Frank
...for a minute there, I thought bismarck was back...

Get notified of new replies

To Roof Popped!!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

...for a minute there, I thought bismarck was back...
Just trying to put this roof problem in perspective. I own a new Z06 and refuse to worry about it. YMMV.

Frank
Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Just trying to put this roof problem in perspective. I own a new Z06 and refuse to worry about it. YMMV.

Frank
..and I think that's great. I didn't worry about it either, even when I started hearing the noises, I didn't want to drive around paranoid all the time. But, seriously Frank, you being in Phoenix I assume, be attentive with the heat that you have there. That was the determining factor for the delamination of mine.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

..and I think that's great. I didn't worry about it either, even when I started hearing the noises, I didn't want to drive around paranoid all the time. But, seriously Frank, you being in Phoenix I assume, be attentive with the heat that you have there. That was the determining factor for the delamination of mine.
I really feel for those Z owners, like yourself, that have had this problem and hope GM takes good care of it for you. Statistically, from what data I have seen, my chances of having the problem are not high. Life is too short to worry about everything.

I sincerely appreciate your concern for my car, but I am in PA. The Phoenix flag in my avatar is for Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville, PA (they do my Vettes). They are the country's leading shop for race preparation of Corvettes and many other makes. They have had race-winning success with Caddy CTS-V, Viper, Camaro/Firebird, Pontiac Solstice, Chevy Cobalt and Subaru, among others.

Cheers,
Frank

Quick Reply: [Z06] Roof Popped!!!!