Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Road Chips How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Chips How to fix?

Guys,

Ok, I cant believe it. She has only 1300 miles on her and I already have some chips in the paint just in front of the rear tires, lower panel beneath door. I had my last corvette 3 years and never got chips there.

I was going to go get some touch up paint, but I wanted to see if someone knew of a good way to fix these little chips. you can see white as it went all the way through the paint. They are about 3 mils long and .5 millimeters wide.

Have you ever fixed chips in your paint? Whats the best way?

Please help? Any advice welcome. Oh, by the way, just in case it makes a difference, my paint is victory red.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

I went off the track due to someone busting a radiator hose and dumping fluids. The car has a fair amount of a rash after that, some into the plastic.

A great paint shop in my area estimated $200 -300 for a touch up.

Get a respray so that the spots where it is touched up aren't clumpy as when a touch up bottle is used.

The clear film the areas.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
I went off the track due to someone busting a radiator hose and dumping fluids. The car has a fair amount of a rash after that, some into the plastic.

A great paint shop in my area estimated $200 -300 for a touch up.

Get a respray so that the spots where it is touched up aren't clumpy as when a touch up bottle is used.

The clear film the areas.
I was wondering though, I saw on an classic car show, a host of the show actually touched up a pit in the paint. He put on about a dime size amount of paint and then carefully sanded it down and polished it. It looked like new. Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics. I was hoping someone on here would know, or at least know where to go to find the information.

I imagine I could remove the lower trim and take it in to have it painted. I just hate to spend that money/time/effort if it can be fixed another way??

Old 06-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Prevention is probably the best solution to paint nicks. First and foremost, never drive in the rain. You will get more nicks thanks to water on the road assisting small rocks on your paint.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:49 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Be careful with what you see on Tv.The professionals don't tell you how many paint jobs they screwed up learning.I haven't found a paint guy yet that would even be willing to repair chips.I have played with it and it is not easy.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have repaired chips in single stage paint....no clear coat....
basically the hole gets carefully filled with paint......the paint gets carefully sanded...then buffed.....not as easy as it sounds....

it also looks a lot easier on tv...where you really cant see the repair very well over the tele...as far as clear coat goes its another story....much more difficult.....especially when the clear has tint....the best you can get is the chip filled in so it doesnt stand out as much/ is hard to see...

my best advice is not to worry about it...use/enjoy the car without thinking about chips/ wear/ dirt/ grim....its a car made to be driven and driving wears them out....
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a blue C6Z. I purchaed the small touch up paint from the dealer. I use a tooth pick to apply the paint. If it is deep, I chew on the tooth pick a bit so it holds a little more paint. It works for me.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Don't forget to check your radiator fins
Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

I have personally repaired chips & dings over the years in just about every location (bumpers, hood, fenders, doors, rockers, you name it) using the method described below achieving flawless results each and every time.

Go to your GM service center and pick up a small touch up bottle of paint. Clean the chipped areas with a damp micro-fiber towel and let air dry. Apply several "thin layers" of paint allowing 24 hours of dry time between layers. Build up chipped area until a slight dome is achieved that can be sanded down to reach panel level. The key is applying several thin layers as opposed to one large application. Using a small sanding block equipped with 2000 or 1500 grit sand paper, wet-sand filled chip and surrounding area until entire area is flat and smooth. Don't be concerned with the micro-scratches that are left behind as they will be later buffed out without notice. I then buff area with an orbital buffer (I use the Meguairs Orbital buffer) with a clear-coat-safe swirl remover / cleaner, then paint polish, then wax. For what ever it is worth, I use Megairs products, however use what ever product you feel most comfortable with.

Before trying this process for the first time on your vet, I would highly recommend either trying it on another vehicle or going to the junk yard and picking up a panel to practise.

I use to be so concerned about chips, I would 3M film protect my vehicles. Being that this process is so easy, I now just repair the "dings" and avoid applying the 3M film protection which did not show well on my Victory Red 06 Z.

Don't get intimidated, jump right in and get your feet wet, it is not as difficult as it my appears. I hope this helps. Best of luck !
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
BishopTx
Instructor

04 srt-10 white mamba, 05 bmw m3 and black c6z06 all using clear bra protection - the best defense against rock chips and the like.

the old original 3m material is dated and today's technology has really improved the clearbra -- I use ClearShield products...everyone who examines my cars agrees - its barely noticeable..

the clearshield i use can be washed, waxed, polished wont fade, yellow or peel off unitentionally.

I know the advice doesnt help once you've had rock chips, but getting one installed after you've gotten it fixed would be my 1st priority.

I have clearshield protection on the front facia, hood, side panels, door sills, fenders, under carriage, and rear panels....

can you see it? all I see is rock-chip free black shine

Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Painrace
I have a blue C6Z. I purchaed the small touch up paint from the dealer. I use a tooth pick to apply the paint. If it is deep, I chew on the tooth pick a bit so it holds a little more paint. It works for me.
Thanks, I was at the dealer yesterday. They are ordering the touch up paint in a tube. They tell me it has a ball point applicator as well as a brush. Hmmmm, I am thinking that the ball point, kind of like a ball point pen, they said, should do the trick.

If not, I will try your toothpick trick.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

I too have small chips on the rocker in front of the rear wheels. They are not too noticeable. I think I am the only one that will notice. I recently had a clear bra place on the hood, fenders, bumper and the mirrors. It is not noticeable. The guyt that put on the clear bra told me he could put a clear film on the rockers for about $180. I think I will just put on the clear film on the rockers and not worry about the small chips. I'll just prevent new ones.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by masz06
I have personally repaired chips & dings over the years in just about every location (bumpers, hood, fenders, doors, rockers, you name it) using the method described below achieving flawless results each and every time.

Go to your GM service center and pick up a small touch up bottle of paint. Clean the chipped areas with a damp micro-fiber towel and let air dry. Apply several "thin layers" of paint allowing 24 hours of dry time between layers. Build up chipped area until a slight dome is achieved that can be sanded down to reach panel level. The key is applying several thin layers as opposed to one large application. Using a small sanding block equipped with 2000 or 1500 grit sand paper, wet-sand filled chip and surrounding area until entire area is flat and smooth. Don't be concerned with the micro-scratches that are left behind as they will be later buffed out without notice. I then buff area with an orbital buffer (I use the Meguairs Orbital buffer) with a clear-coat-safe swirl remover / cleaner, then paint polish, then wax. For what ever it is worth, I use Megairs products, however use what ever product you feel most comfortable with.

Before trying this process for the first time on your vet, I would highly recommend either trying it on another vehicle or going to the junk yard and picking up a panel to practise.

I use to be so concerned about chips, I would 3M film protect my vehicles. Being that this process is so easy, I now just repair the "dings" and avoid applying the 3M film protection which did not show well on my Victory Red 06 Z.

Don't get intimidated, jump right in and get your feet wet, it is not as difficult as it my appears. I hope this helps. Best of luck !

Thanks that sounds like some good advice. But listen, what products did you use. I know you said I should use the ones I am most comfortable with, but since I have not done this before, I would rather go with what you say worked for you. So what polishes, etc. I will go buy the exact ones. I already have the touch up paint on order.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BishopTx
04 srt-10 white mamba, 05 bmw m3 and black c6z06 all using clear bra protection - the best defense against rock chips and the like.

the old original 3m material is dated and today's technology has really improved the clearbra -- I use ClearShield products...everyone who examines my cars agrees - its barely noticeable..

the clearshield i use can be washed, waxed, polished wont fade, yellow or peel off unitentionally.

I know the advice doesnt help once you've had rock chips, but getting one installed after you've gotten it fixed would be my 1st priority.

I have clearshield protection on the front facia, hood, side panels, door sills, fenders, under carriage, and rear panels....

can you see it? all I see is rock-chip free black shine

Ok, I'm sold, where can I get the product you are talking about. I will definitely look into installing after I fix this chip.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
J-Spec_Fanatic
Intermediate

"Corvette Front End Mask, Speed Lingerie, Without Removable License Plate Pocket, 2005-2006"

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....1&dept_id=1365

This sounds interesting. I don't think its a "Car Bra"; I just wish they had a picture.
Might not fit the Zo6 though...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
Ok, I'm sold, where can I get the product you are talking about. I will definitely look into installing after I fix this chip.
It's not a DIY job. Ask around in your area for referral to a very good installer - that is the key to success.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 129 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
It's not a DIY job. Ask around in your area for referral to a very good installer - that is the key to success.
The installer is the most important consideration when having the clear gaurd put on. There are kits and custom installs. I chose the custom install. They cut the film to fit the car exactly. You get better coverage than with a kit. The new 3M product is excellent and has a clear coat on it.

I had the following areas covered with 8 mil;
full front bumber
16" on hood
front 6" of roof
side view mirrors
behind front wheels
infront of rear wheels (make sure they get right up to the brake intake)
rocker panels
lower 5-6" of doors
head lights and fog lights with 20 mil

Ecellent install. All that coverage for $900. Now I can drive the Z and not say oh **** every time I hear a pebble hit the car.

Most people can't even tell it is on unless I tell them. It will be more noticable on dark colors.

Any one know if there are windshield tear offs for the Z??? That would be nice for open track days.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Chips How to fix?

Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Spec_Fanatic
"Corvette Front End Mask, Speed Lingerie, Without Removable License Plate Pocket, 2005-2006"

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....1&dept_id=1365

This sounds interesting. I don't think its a "Car Bra"; I just wish they had a picture.
Might not fit the Zo6 though...
Speed Lingerie does make a car bra for the Z-06 not only do you get front end protection but you get radiator protection too and it blends in with your car color. Lots of quality if you ever saw one of these went into it. You can get the one with the front plate provisions if needed. Looks fine.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:30 PM
stuka
Intermediate

Clear bra is the only way to go.

After 3 years, 27K miles with many hard track miles and 185mph stunts, my Turbo has one visible chip on the entire front end of the car.

One chip that is less than 0.5mm.

If I had done the super custom wrap and wrap the entire hood (good installers can custom cut) instead of the half hood wrap, that one annoying chip would not have been there.

Compare that to my E36 M3 that I have had for 3 years before turning it in with 36K miles, there was no contest. That car's front end was so chipped to hell that I was surprised that I didn't get dinged on the lease return.

Every car that I got since the E46 M3 has had the clear bra done at the dealership by custom installers prior to me driving it off the lot, and it is worth every penny.

However, know that if you are going to keep your car for the long haul, the clear bra needs to be re-done probably every 30K miles due to all the hits that it takes for the paint. I know if I keep my Turbo, I will have to have it re-done next year.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
FUBUZ06AMG
FUBUZ06AMG
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Speed Lingerie does make a car bra for the Z-06 not only do you get front end protection but you get radiator protection too and it blends in with your car color. Lots of quality if you ever saw one of these went into it. You can get the one with the front plate provisions if needed. Looks fine.
...did the same exact thing and glad I did it!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Road Chips How to fix?