Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Be careful guys... rain and Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Be careful guys... rain and Runflats

I was heading up to Mid-Ohio today for a couple of days on the track and I hit a lot of rain in KY and OH. The Z06 doesn't like rain. It hydroplane's pretty easily and it can break traction even at 70 MPH in 4th.

Besides the hydroplaning, I had a big scare when going through a long tunnel in Cinci. I decided to see how the exhaust sounds in a tunnel so I dropped it down to 2nd at 50 MPH and nailed it. I thought it was dry, but I guess it was not. The car was heading sideways in a split second and I was lucky to catch it and keep it under control. My reaction was to stay in the throttle and this helped a bunch. I think if I would have "lifted" I would have lost it. Get some track time guys before you kill yourself. This car needs to be driven with a healthy dose of respect and I was stupid for a split-second and it almost cost me.

Learn from my mistake; be careful guys.

There was a guy with a standard C6 that was killed a couple of weeks ago after his car hydroplaned and he got sideways. He was hit by a truck. I saw the post on the C6 forum and it was a wake up call.

Off to Mid-Ohio in the morning! Hope it stops raining.

- Bill
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by FFCobra
It hydroplane's pretty easily and it can break traction even at 70 MPH in 4th.
What with 3 feet of rubber and hardly any weight...

I decided to see how the exhaust sounds in a tunnel so I dropped it down to 2nd at 50 MPH and nailed it.
So,how did it sound?
This car needs to be driven with a healthy dose of respect and I was stupid for a split-second and it almost cost me.

- Bill
You can't be "stupid" in this car...
Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 PM
paperclerk101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default don't drive it in the

rain...

pull over and have a few and get a cheap motel.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The car is fine in the rain, as long as you're not stupid.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Foosh
No issues here.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 AM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO almost no sports car performs well in wet conditions. My Z sucks in the rain and my 996TT was no different.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:47 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So far at legal speeds the car is fine.You get over the legal part and well.You get what you get.
I will caution everyone when the stock tires get thin be very careful in the rain,it can be treacherous.I learned theat with previous Ctsv.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Tiago_
Cruising

I I decided to see how the exhaust sounds in a tunnel so I dropped it down to 2nd at 50 MPH and nailed it. I thought it was dry, but I guess it was not. The car was heading sideways in a split second and I was lucky to catch it and keep it under control.
I supose that you had the TC off, because with active handling system and the TC on that should not happen.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

I decided to see how the exhaust sounds in a tunnel so I dropped it down to 2nd at 50 MPH and nailed it. I thought it was dry, but I guess it was not. The car was heading sideways in a split second and I was lucky to catch it and keep it under control.
- Bill

You guys NEED to UNDERSTAND that when driving as car with this much power you NEVER "NAIL IT" in the lower gears. You roll on and off the power. Anything else you do at your own risk.

Glad you caught it this time. Keep that lesson high on your memory bank.
Enjoy your high-perf beast.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-20-2006, 07:18 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't freak in the rain, but definitely drive very defensively. I found in my C5Z, and in my C6Z as well, that light rain is ok (meaning you drive carefully) but hard rain puts me in the right lane at very reduced speeds.

Tire width and tread patterns do not lend themselves to anything but treading lightly when the roads are not dry.

I had two C5's before my C5Z and found them to be very stable in the rain - the "V" tread pattern in the non-Z C5's and C6's tires works well.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago_
I supose that you had the TC off, because with active handling system and the TC on that should not happen.
Not true at all.

TC/AH will help you out until the laws of physics takes over.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Not true at all.

With Mike.Especially with the C6.The C6 model IMHO the TC/AH is much less intrussive than it was on the C5 and even the Ctsv.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
CMacZ06
Racer

I was heading up to Mid-Ohio today for a couple of days on the track and I hit a lot of rain in KY and OH. The Z06 doesn't like rain. It hydroplane's pretty easily and it can break traction even at 70 MPH in 4th.

Besides the hydroplaning, I had a big scare when going through a long tunnel in Cinci. I decided to see how the exhaust sounds in a tunnel so I dropped it down to 2nd at 50 MPH and nailed it. I thought it was dry, but I guess it was not. The car was heading sideways in a split second and I was lucky to catch it and keep it under control. My reaction was to stay in the throttle and this helped a bunch. I think if I would have "lifted" I would have lost it. Get some track time guys before you kill yourself. This car needs to be driven with a healthy dose of respect and I was stupid for a split-second and it almost cost me.

There was a guy with a standard C6 that was killed a couple of weeks ago after his car hydroplaned and he got sideways. He was hit by a truck. I saw the post on the C6 forum and it was a wake up call.

Off to Mid-Ohio in the morning! Hope it stops raining.

- Bill
Yeah, I live in Cincy and you have to be careful going thru the downtown Cincy tunnel. When it is wet there are a lot of jacknifed tractor trailers, actually, even when it is not wet. But the tunnel is great at WOT, I did that Sat. night.

Be safe out there
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Couple years ago in my 02 Z06 I was driving I-4 coming home from Orlando in a very light rain. Was going about 70mph in a straight line. All of a sudden I was doing 360's and wound up facing opposite direction in median. I have no idea what happened to this day. Was just lucky there was not much traffic around me at the time it happened. Suspect hydroplaneing. I was not hot ******* in any way what so ever. Light car, big tires, bad combination for wet weather. When I drive in rain now with C6Z, you can bet it will be really slow.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true at all.

I think the car would have recovered itself IF you got out of the throttle with TC/AC on.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN
I think the car would have recovered itself IF you got out of the throttle with TC/AC on.
Only FFCobra was there and knows for sure but........

This is a misconception.

Depending on the situation, lifting off the throttle can often upset the cars balance more so than staying on it, especially in the rain.

This is one downside to TC/AC. People think it's a safety net for any occurrence. The same way many of the winter 4-wheel drive SUV warriors think their vehicles stops better.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

The car is most fun in the rain. Drifting is awesome in the rain-- of course on a closed track.

Get notified of new replies

To Be careful guys... rain and Runflats

Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Sorry to disagree, but if the TC/AH wanted less power it would have closed the throttle without driver intervention.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Tiago_
Cruising

I already owned a tuned Porsche Boxster S (300hp) and a tuned M3 (390hp) and in the wet at lower speeds and in straigh line the TC doesn't allowed the wheels to spin. It seems to me that the Z06 TC does nothing if it doesn't prevent the wheel spinning in the wet, specially in straight line.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Only FFCobra was there and knows for sure but........

This is a misconception.

Depending on the situation, lifting off the throttle can often upset the cars balance more so than staying on it, especially in the rain.

This is one downside to TC/AC. People think it's a safety net for any occurrence. The same way many of the winter 4-wheel drive SUV warriors think their vehicles stops better.
The TC/AC was ON. The car was heading sideways and I stayed in the throttle to keep it from "snap spinning". The TC/AC is not going to over ride the laws of physics. If I would have lifted, I am 99% sure that the car would have spun.

I had a blast today in the morning section at Mid Ohio. We're running again tonight and I can't wait.

- Bill

Quick Reply: [Z06] Be careful guys... rain and Runflats