Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 997GT3 vs 997TT vs C6Z06 vs M6

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Until we actually get some on the road and local tracks I don't think we can judge the 997 GT3 and TT. No doubt I really believe the Z will hold it's own, but the GT3 will be incredible on the track and the TT will be wickedly fast.
The 997 GT2 will be by far the most impressive of the 3 P cars.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 AM
Tiago_
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
The 997 GT2 will be by far the most impressive of the 3 P cars.
And more than 2x the price of the Z...
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 AM
mav21386
Racer

Originally Posted by Tiago_
And don't forget 2x the quality.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav21386
And don't forget 2x the quality.
Yep.

Is the cost of a roof that doesn't fall off, clutch that can take launches all day, rear end that doesn't break, brake rotors with the correct orientation, etc etc worth it?

For some, probably. If I could afford a GT2 I would consider it. I can't so it's a Z06 for me.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 AM
vizkiz
Threadkiller
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by KnightZ06
Actually, Porsche has pretty much eliminated turbo lag in the 997 due to the compression of the new turbo's.....It supposedly hits 60 in 3.2 (C&D)...
Not due to compression, due to the variable vanes in the turbos. They can close up and spool up fast at lower speeds like a smaller turbo and open up as the revs get higher to push more air, like a normal turbocharger of it's size.

Sorry for the quality, it's from my cell, but you can partially see the turbo in this pic

I think I have a couple better ones on there. I'll uplod them from my phone as soon as I get my phonetools CD.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightZ06
Actually, Porsche has pretty much eliminated turbo lag in the 997 due to the compression of the new turbo's.....It supposedly hits 60 in 3.2 (C&D)...
That's not what people on Rennlist that have driven the 997TT and owned the 996TT are saying. They say there is no difference.

Couple comments from people.
"i don't feel 500 lb ft at 2000 rpm. in fact, if my memory serves me correct, i think there is just as much turbo lag in this car as my 996 turbo. maybe i have amnesia, but i was expecting some big power at 2000 rpms. anybody else feel the same?"

"I too thought the turbo lag in the 997 was as long, if not LONGER, than my 996. However, my 996TT had the FVD chip, which brought in boost a little quicker. With all the variable-vane turbo marketing, I was expecting little or no lag."

"I had an opportunity to drive a new 997TT today, and push it around a bit. Overall, a nice improvement over the 996. A few points:

turbo lag still noticable (and longish), but the torque comes up more suddenly than the 996TT.

total amount of pull is about what I had on my 996TT with a chip.

steering feel is good and similar to 997 gen C4S - all wheel drive.

ride quality is soft but controlled. The the PASM settings seem dialed toward the softer side on both normal and 'sport' modes.

Contrary to what has been written, it's not nearly as as fast as the CGT.

You feel the extra weight a bit, compared to the standard Carrera.

Exhaust sound is on the quiet side, but a little lower in pitch (slight rumble).
Clutch is lighter, with more assist, but not as long as the 996TT clutch. It feels like the 997S clutch with less effort.
Gear shift feel is very close to the other 997s.
wheels still look ugly in person to me.
Let's see how long it takes the aftermarket to offer nicer exhaust tips. The OEM tips are just bolted on.

Reminded me why I like NA motors better.

I'm sure turbo drivers will love this new car. It is definitely an improvement dynamically over the 996TT."

Last edited by 355Spider; 06-22-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Wow, that would be sad if the VNT turbos aren't all they're hyped up to be.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 AM
CMacZ06
Racer

[QUOTE=355Spider]That's not what people on Rennlist that have driven the 997TT and owned the 996TT are saying. They say there is no difference.

QUOTE]

Maybe just with the sport chrono package???
Old 06-22-2006, 11:02 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=KnightZ06]
Originally Posted by 355Spider
That's not what people on Rennlist that have driven the 997TT and owned the 996TT are saying. They say there is no difference.

QUOTE]

Maybe just with the sport chrono package???
Yeah, what the hell... throw even more money at that overpriced sled!!!

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tiago_
Actually, easily 3x the cost of the Z. The OTD price of the 997 GT3 is about $130-145k depending on options. The OTD price of the 997TT is likely about $160-170k. The OTD price of the GT2 will easily crack $210k! I would hate to have that T-boned at the track!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Originally Posted by Verrückt

Wow? Porsche...Hype.... hmmmm if you didn't say it you'd never admit to it.....From a company that charges 2x the cost of a Chevy for less performance, it doesn't shock me at all, I don't see why it should shock you....

I'll take my flying roof panel and not-up-to-europhile brakes and weak clutch and stock rearend and still tear up pretty much any Porsche. No question my next vehicle is a Z06. I don't care what Porsche has to offer it's not worth it to me...I'd get smoked by a Vette or a Mustang and then have to crawl back into that loser's ego protective mode "I'm driving a Porsche at least...Look at these cars that cost less than half of what I paid...I won't even look over when I see them they must not be worthy if they can't afford a Porsche"

I'll fix the broken stuff stronger if it breaks, and then what? I've spent 10-15k and I will again tear up pretty much any Porsche that I see on the road.

When I pass by the Porsches in every situation I encounter, I'll be sure to appreciate the variable vane turbos and the amazing boost they provide to many many slumped over egos.... at least the leather is comfortable on the way home with their tail between their legs...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrueBlue ChevyDude
Wow? Porsche...Hype.... hmmmm if you didn't say it you'd never admit to it.....From a company that charges 2x the cost of a Chevy for less performance, it doesn't shock me at all, I don't see why it should shock you....

I'll take my flying roof panel and not-up-to-europhile brakes and weak clutch and stock rearend and still tear up pretty much any Porsche. No question my next vehicle is a Z06. I don't care what Porsche has to offer it's not worth it to me...I'd get smoked by a Vette or a Mustang and then have to crawl back into that loser's ego protective mode "I'm driving a Porsche at least...Look at these cars that cost less than half of what I paid...I won't even look over when I see them they must not be worthy if they can't afford a Porsche"

I'll fix the broken stuff stronger if it breaks, and then what? I've spent 10-15k and I will again tear up pretty much any Porsche that I see on the road.

When I pass by the Porsches in every situation I encounter, I'll be sure to appreciate the variable vane turbos and the amazing boost they provide to many many slumped over egos.... at least the leather is comfortable on the way home with their tail between their legs...
Only an idiot feels ashamed or has to protect his ego for being in a slower car.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
camille
Racer

Originally Posted by Mako7
Actually, easily 3x the cost of the Z. The OTD price of the 997 GT3 is about $130-145k depending on options. The OTD price of the 997TT is likely about $160-170k. The OTD price of the GT2 will easily crack $210k! I would hate to have that T-boned at the track!
From firsthand experience, the OTD cost of the 997TT was substantially less than your estimate above.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

99% of Porsche guys could care less. They will believe the hype and/or what their dealer tells them. I mean lets be honest most Porsche buyers, as well as Vette, are more concrened about how their hair looks in their new car than turbo lag or actual performance. They will go down the street claiming superiority until a Z pulls up next to them one day and gives them a good raping.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 PM
camille
Racer

Originally Posted by TrueBlue ChevyDude
Wow? Porsche...Hype.... hmmmm if you didn't say it you'd never admit to it.....From a company that charges 2x the cost of a Chevy for less performance, it doesn't shock me at all, I don't see why it should shock you....and I will again tear up pretty much any Porsche that I see on the road.

"On the road," I take to mean on the street. I suspect such an encounter with the 997TT will boil down to driver willingness to enter into the realm of reckless endangerment. Those may be hollow victories. Bruised egos are bolstered by common sense.

On the track, the better driver will prevail in the Z06 vs. 997TT contest.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

99% of Porsche guys could care less. They will believe the hype and/or what their dealer tells them. I mean lets be honest most Porsche buyers, as well as Vette, are more concrened about how their hair looks in their new car than turbo lag or actual performance. They will go down the street claiming superiority until a Z pulls up next to them one day and gives them a good raping.
I wouldn't go that far.

I don't think most 'vette or Porshe owners are going to take a stoplight drag to 130+ mph where the Corvette will really start to pull away.

At 100 or below, the Porsche has the advantage in most cases.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

That's ridiculous. Talk about a short-sighted, prejudiced, blanket statement.

...and secondly, it's "couldn't care less". If you "could care less", then that means that you DO care.

Get notified of new replies

To 997GT3 vs 997TT vs C6Z06 vs M6

Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Originally Posted by camille
From firsthand experience, the OTD cost of the 997TT was substantially less than your estimate above.
If you do not mind and are located in the US, let us know approximately what the price of the 997TT was including base, options, transportation, tax, license and ANY other charges.

We know from the latest Motor Trend article that even though the 997 GT3 had a base price of $106k, its "as tested" price was $132,500 before tax and license. There is also a recent post from Udaman stating that his 996 GT3 was originally something like $125k.

So, it would be great to hear about your experience. I will also go to my local dealer in Newport Beach, CA in the next day or so and get a tally straight from the horse.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go that far.

I don't think most 'vette or Porshe owners are going to take a stoplight drag to 130+ mph where the Corvette will really start to pull away.

At 100 or below, the Porsche has the advantage in most cases.
Not if the Z06 has drag radials on..

The only reason the Porsche would have an advantage on the Z06 below 100 is traction issues, not because it is faster.

Put a 997TT against a Z06 from a 55 roll to 160 and watch the Z06 walk away from the TT.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phantasms
you were lacking a lot with the c5z06. however with this car the only thing it's lacking is a nice interior. the interior is good and very functional....but it's not up to par with the rest of the car.

z06>gt3>turbo>m6 in my opinion

and it pulls like a rocket on the highway at very high speeds.

It amazes me how it just doesn't stop pulling..

Quick Reply: [Z06] 997GT3 vs 997TT vs C6Z06 vs M6