Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock set up Dyno #'s (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock set up Dyno #'s (pics)

Yesterday I attended A & A Engines BBQ party and got a free dyno (two pulls.) Thanks Andy !!

Thats right 471 rwhp 446 rwtq No engine mods .
I do have an LGS exhaust bypass switch first pull was with it closed 470/442 2nd pull open as shown above.
Approx time was 11am
air temp approx 70 - 75 degrees
12,600 miles on car
vin # 00360 37th one built for retail

I am one happy camper !!

And to John who volunteered and worked his butt off White T=shirt & sun glasses

Thanks again to the hard working crew at A&A
Old 06-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome dyno numbers... that party looked like it was a blast!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice numbers for stock. 93 Octane? No ECM tuning? Going to baseline mine tomorrow, but with temps in the 110's already (AZ) I'm sure I won't see anything like that.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 PM
FikseGTS
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 18 Posts

great numbers.... what did it make before the exhaust bypass?

post up the sheet here if you have a chance:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet--...no-Sheets.html

starting a collection of corvette dyno graphs....
Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

This was my first dyno ever on this car.
I did the by pass switch for sound
Maybe it was because the wheels were chrome that the car decided she needed to be fast

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Very nice numbers for stock. 93 Octane? No ECM tuning? Going to baseline mine tomorrow, but with temps in the 110's already (AZ) I'm sure I won't see anything like that.
91 Octane, no tuning yet !

Originally Posted by FikseGTS
great numbers.... what did it make before the exhaust bypass?
My first pull was 470 rwhp and 442 rwtq with the exhaust by pass in the closed position.
However that brings up a question since it (butterfly valves) is suppose to open up when it reaches 3500 rpm, is it still opening up with the by pass switch in the closed position. If it is still opening up then the only variance of one hp is mute, as in no difference

Last edited by TicketBait; 06-26-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 PM
RADAR B8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=FikseGTS]great numbers.... what did it make before the exhaust bypass?

The bypass switch can only be tested under 3,500 rpm and not WOT because the computer will open the exhaust at 3,500 rpm.

When my Z was on the dyno they tested the difference under 3,500 rpm and it made 8 hp more when opened under 3.500 rpm.

The bypass switch will give you the same hp gains that a $2,000 after market exhaust will give you. Only the sound will be different.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=4enjoyn]
Originally Posted by FikseGTS
The bypass switch will give you the same hp gains that a $2,000 after market exhaust will give you. Only the sound will be different.

Mike
Agreed! Adding headers to a stock Z06 is not worth the money! In competion mode, the exhaust valves will open at 3000 RPM.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TicketBait
However that brings up a question since it (butterfly valves) is suppose to open up when it reaches 3500 rpm, is it still opening up with the by pass switch in the closed position. If it is still opening up then the only variance of one hp is mute, as in no difference
You should see a larger difference just below 3500, maybe closer to 5-8 hp. Then the valves open and there is no real difference. See if you can line up your two charts and check it out.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
RADAR B8
Instructor

[QUOTE=Dicecal]
Originally Posted by 4enjoyn

Agreed! Adding headers to a stock Z06 is not worth the money! In competion mode, the exhaust valves will open at 3000 RPM.
Thanks I did not know that they open at 3,000 in comp mode. I had headers installed on my Z and the hp and torque gains are noiticeable, it's the after market mufflers that will not give you any hp gain over stock, just a different sound.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=4enjoyn]

Thanks I did not know that they open at 3,000 in comp mode. I had headers installed on my Z and the hp and torque gains are noiticeable, it's the after market mufflers that will not give you any hp gain over stock, just a different sound.

Mike
I have not added headers or tuning yet....But from what I have seen, the big gains come from the tuning. On a stock Z06, again from what I've seen, LT headers are only getting in the 12 RWHP/TQ range. When adding LT headers, the car is usally tuned at the same time...thus masking the gains from just the headers. I may have the car tuned first, and see for myself before I consider headers. Right now I'm pretty happy with the way the car is stock. Do you have numbers on your car with just tuning? Then with headers and tuning? Not throwing stones, just trying to make a smart choice with my limited resources!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

Was the hood left up during Dyno run ? information from this forum seems to indicate + 25 - 30 h.p. if hood is left open .

beautiful car good luck with it
Old 06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
90droptopp
Racer

That car is very strong! 470 to the tire on a stock car...... awesome. Great interior I might add!!

And yes, the hood was open during the dyno run.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:06 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Dicecal]

I have not added headers or tuning yet....But from what I have seen, the big gains come from the tuning. On a stock Z06, again from what I've seen, LT headers are only getting in the 12 RWHP/TQ range. When adding LT headers, the car is usally tuned at the same time...thus masking the gains from just the headers. I may have the car tuned first, and see for myself before I consider headers. Right now I'm pretty happy with the way the car is stock. Do you have numbers on your car with just tuning? Then with headers and tuning? Not throwing stones, just trying to make a smart choice with my limited resources!

I can also verify this is correct.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Lankhoss
Racer

I think it's hard to put a simple number down for the gains you get with headers. You may only be seeing a 12rwhp difference between a tune and tune w/headers, but the engine is breathing much better with the bigger headers, keeping the cabin area cooler from what I've heard, giving better gas mileage, and (probably most importantly) will allow for greater gains with other internal mods such as a cam and/or head work.

I think the better comparison would be to add a cam only to the car, then add the headers and see what the HP difference is.

Just my opinion though.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:13 PM
RADAR B8
Instructor

[QUOTE=Dicecal]

My Z has not been tuned, I do not have any tuners in my area so it will be long drive and time off to go to a turner. I will at some time find a turner because your right, the big hp gains will come from tuning. I do believe that with tuning, headers and a better air intake we can have 500+ RWHP.
My Z is being used by one of the header manufactures to design their headers for the Z06. At this time they do have the system ready to release for retail sale so I cannot release any data at this time. However the gains are in line with the other makers of headers, what I like best about these headers is the low to mid range torque gains.
I would spend my money on headers, tuning, and air intake before I spend $2,000 on just mufflers to get any real hp and torque gains

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=4enjoyn]

My Z has not been tuned, I do not have any tuners in my area so it will be long drive and time off to go to a turner. I will at some time find a turner because your right, the big hp gains will come from tuning. I do believe that with tuning, headers and a better air intake we can have 500+ RWHP.
My Z is being used by one of the header manufactures to design their headers for the Z06. At this time they do have the system ready to release for retail sale so I cannot release any data at this time. However the gains are in line with the other makers of headers, what I like best about these headers is the low to mid range torque gains.
I would spend my money on headers, tuning, and air intake before I spend $2,000 on just mufflers to get any real hp and torque gains

Mike
Mike,

Great, thanks for your input. Please keep us informed of the new headers when they hit the market. I'm considering a mail order Halltech tune, since my car is stock and I don't trust any of the Phoenix area tuners to do the LS7 right. Cheers!

Last edited by Dicecal; 06-25-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:08 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hardhattg
Was the hood left up during Dyno run ? information from this forum seems to indicate + 25 - 30 h.p. if hood is left open . beautiful car good luck with it
You gotta be kiddin, there was another c6 ZO6 that pulled like a 430 ish trom the same dyno an hour later with the hood up. So are you sayin

Get notified of new replies

To Stock set up Dyno #'s (pics)

Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 AM
lowellmstevens
Instructor

good numbers! j/c what did Andy's z06 with the g7x4 put down?(if it was dynoed at all)
Old 06-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Steve...CONGRATS!!! Those numbers are STOUT... Your bone stock C6 Z06 results are the highest I've seen at Andy's dyno, and I've seen at least a dozen of other C6Zs run that dyno...lowest was 411rwhp. And, yes folks there was a red C6Z that ran 430rwhp (hood open) an hour later.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TicketBait
You gotta be kiddin, there was another c6 ZO6 that pulled like a 430 ish trom the same dyno an hour later with the hood up. So are you sayin

Man,
That is really strange. I would like to really understand this. What was the difference in mileage between the two cars? Did both also take off the valve covers during the dyno run? Did they have the same exact loading on the dyno? What was the tire pressure on both cars? I've seen a car dyno 40 rwhp differenct with incorrect tire pressure. Is one car potentially running lean up top? I find it really hard to believe GM could have an 8-9% power difference in numbers from the factory. 1% I beleive, but that is about it. I would also be curious if either of these cars were run at the track yet?

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 06-26-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock set up Dyno #'s (pics)