Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another European test: Z06 vs Ford GT vs Gallardo vs Ferrari 430 vs Porsche 997 turb

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slwhite
I always like to spot the first posting that degrades a thread by taking it into the realm of personal attacks. This is the one for this thread: posting number 16. It will be downhill from here.
It was not personal attack but merely a statement of my opinion. By all accounts the GT is faster but not by seconds. Maybe fraction of seconds. As to a F430 faster than a Z06 on a straightline acceleration test, KISS MY @SS!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Anyone care to explain to me why it took the Z06 in question 2.39 seconds to go from 190kmph to 200kmph. What a crock of ****!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Bobby J
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TetraU
Anyone care to explain to me why it took the Z06 in question 2.39 seconds to go from 190kmph to 200kmph. What a crock of ****!
That's between 118 to 124 mph. So that particular range is the top of 3rd gear and includes the shift into 4th.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bobby J
That's between 118 to 124 mph. So that particular range is the top of 3rd gear and includes the shift into 4th.
200kmph is roughly 122mph, anyone who's ever driven a stick shift can put a Z06 into the 124mph in well under 13 second. Are you telling me that these stupid Italian drivers couldn't complete the shift from 3rd to 4th in 2.29 seconds?

A great driver like Ranger on this board can hit 127mph trap for the 1/4 mile which equates to about 130mph in less than 11.5 seconds. The same kind of car couldn't even muster 122mph in 14.00 sec? Absolute nonsense!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Bobby J
Race Director

200kmph is roughly 122mph, anyone who's ever driven a stick shift can put a Z06 into the 124mph in well under 13 second. Are you telling me that these stupid Italian drivers couldn't complete the shift from 3rd to 4th in 2.29 seconds?
When I said 118mph to 124mph, I meant that 190kph is 118 and 200 kph is 124. They are saying it took 2.29 seconds to go from 118 mph to 124mph, which included a shift at around 121.

A great driver like Ranger on this board can hit 127mph trap for the 1/4 mile which equates to about 130mph in less than 11.5 seconds. The same kind of car couldn't even muster 122mph in 14.00 sec? Absolute nonsense!
That's why I would like to know test conditions. This probably wasn't on a well-prepped track. If other conditions like weather and altitude were less favorable, I could see how these results were attained. All the times are slow for all the cars, but especially the Z. More info from the article would be helpful.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

When I said 118mph to 124mph, I meant that 190kph is 118 and 200 kph is 124. They are saying it took 2.29 seconds to go from 118 mph to 124mph, which included a shift at around 121.

That's why I would like to know test conditions. This probably wasn't on a well-prepped track. If other conditions like weather and altitude were less favorable, I could see how these results were attained. All the times are slow for all the cars, but especially the Z. More info from the article would be helpful.

Exactly. Ranger only drives on low DA (favorable) days at a low altitude track with very good track prep.

In Europe, they don't test on dragstrips, there aren't any. Good luck getting a good launch on an old abondoned airstrip.

We don't know what the conditions/elevation was (The Z06 will be much more effected by altitude than the Ford GT) and I doubt Europeans use correction factors like the US mags do.

I'm not saying anything either way about the test other than don't jump to conclusion...or assume every Z everywhere under every condition is as fast as Ranger's.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
RadekG
Instructor

I was looking into results for some time and comparing with my results and cars I beated. I think that test is objective but Z06 and Lambo had bad driver or driver had a bad run... I think all of us must agree that Z is not easy to lounch, my first day(1/4mile drag) I was running againts all cars listed here, my results was 12.8, 12.82 and 3rd run 12.08, vipers best was 12.5 = same as in test and F430 had (few cars there) 12.18-12.48. I also tested maximal speed at 1kmh and if I remember well result was also 245kmh-then you are shifting to 5th, F430 can be faster maybe because faster gearbox, total maximal speed will have Z better because of BIG small block ... F430 is very good car, no doubt about it but Z can be better but not with newbie driver, this will be my comment to this...
Btw F430 must go 8000++RPM to get its power so its more like motorcycle
Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
997T_Z06
Heel & Toe

this test is bull****, the GT Z06 and 997 TT would hammer the F430.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997T_Z06
this test is bull****, the GT Z06 and 997 TT would hammer the F430.
Exactly!

However, in the real world, it is a driver's race among these cars--pretty remarkable for the plastic chevy.

Some Euros do get it right. Look at the English show--"Top" something and the video of the drive and where the car placed vs. other cars.

Just consider this review like a Road and Crack review!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Bobby J
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mako7
Exactly!

However, in the real world, it is a driver's race among these cars--pretty remarkable for the plastic chevy.

Some Euros do get it right. Look at the English show--"Top" something and the video of the drive and where the car placed vs. other cars.

Just consider this review like a Road and Crack review!

That's a crock. Top Gear uses a lap time they got in the rain for the Viper in that list they use to compare cars. That's definintely not "getting it right."

Also, Road and Track had a Chevy test driver there also that could not get better times without powershifting, and even then he couldn't break into the 11s. I think people need to realize that, in the real world on real roads, the Z06 is a low 12 sec car.

Last edited by Bobby J; 06-28-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Pitzi
Instructor

My opinion?

If it was a UK magazine, some Aston Martin would have been the fastest.

If it was a German magazine, the Porsche would have been uberfastest.

Being an Italian magazine, it's obvious the ferrari is the fastest. Thats why I take magazine comparative tests, and opinion of motoring hacks, with a pinch of salt.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Bobby J
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pitzi
My opinion?

Being an Italian magazine, it's obvious the ferrari is the fastest. Thats why I take magazine comparative tests, and opinion of motoring hacks, with a pinch of salt.
The Ferrari wasn't the fastest.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
TetraU
Drifting

That's a crock. Top Gear uses a lap time they got in the rain for the Viper in that list they use to compare cars. That's definintely not "getting it right."

Also, Road and Track had a Chevy test driver there also that could not get better times without powershifting, and even then he couldn't break into the 11s. I think people need to realize that, in the real world on real roads, the Z06 is a low 12 sec car.
That highlighted statement is oxymoronic! How could you use a blanketed statement like that? If anything the statement about how fast car is is that the numbers put out in ideal situation. I t reflects the true abilities of the car. Obviously even idiots like some American living in Europe for too long and got brain-washed can figure out that a Z06 won't run ideally every time out. However, if the Italians can figure out how to beat 11 men with 10 on the a soccer field, they clearly should be able to figure out how to make their beloved Ferrari look good in their own test. Let's just say that the odds against the Z06/997TT/Viper were not stacked but rather piled up.

Oh, BTW, Bobby, are you saying that it would take 2 and half seconds to get a 500hped car to go from 118 to 124mph? You can't be serious?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pitzi
My opinion?

Every German test I've seen flat out says the Z is faster than any current Porsche save for the CGT.

5th Gear said the Z06 was much more fun on the track than the new Ferrari 599.

I love it how everyone cries "bias!"

That highlighted statement is oxymoronic! How could you use a blanketed statement like that? If anything the statement about how fast car is is that the numbers put out in ideal situation. I t reflects the true abilities of the car. Obviously even idiots like some American living in Europe for too long and got brain-washed can figure out that a Z06 won't run ideally every time out. However, if the Italians can figure out how to beat 11 men with 10 on the a soccer field, they clearly should be able to figure out how to make their beloved Ferrari look good in their own test. Let's just say that the odds against the Z06/997TT/Viper were not stacked but rather piled up.

Oh, BTW, Bobby, are you saying that it would take 2 and half seconds to get a 500hped car to go from 118 to 124mph? You can't be serious?
That's personal attack #2.

Play nice or don't play at all. There aren't very many people left who don't have you on their ignore list.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people need to realize that, in the real world on real roads, the Z06 is a low 12 sec car.
I will not make personal attacks. I will not make personal attacks.

Difficult sometime...

What a biased statement. With a little practice we see more and more guys here on this forum getting into the 11s. Some do it their first time out, another made on his third run. I read GT Forum - many owners over there voice frustration at not being able to get their car into the 11s. They were so excited when Jamie (one of their Ringer drivers) got his 11.54, and he felt it was a good time for his stock car, and it is a good time, although not a 11.3...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie

Difficult sometime...

What a biased statement. With a little practice we see more and more guys here on this forum getting into the 11s. Some do it their first time out, another made on his third run. I read GT Forum - many owners over there voice frustration at not being able to get their car into the 11s. They were so excited when Jamie (one of their Ringer drivers) got his 11.54, and he felt it was a good time for his stock car, and it is a good time, although not a 11.3...
A "real road" is not a dragstrip.

I don't know where you live, but I've never seen any stoplight intersections near me covered with traction compound.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt
A "real road" is not a dragstrip.

I don't know where you live, but I've never seen any stoplight intersections near me covered with traction compound.

Come on V - irrelevant. In my post that you quoted, I am comparing Jamie's GT time with Ranger's Z time, both at prep'd strips, both in Maryland. Bobby stated that the Z is a 12s car (on real roads), which is indeed an oxymoron. By definition, a timed run of 12s is on a strip. Here's the real deal on real roads - if two guys go at it from a roll, the Z wins, b/c they can avoid the difficult launch. We have proof here from multiple forum guys, with multiple runs each.

Get notified of new replies

To Another European test: Z06 vs Ford GT vs Gallardo vs Ferrari 430 vs Porsche 997 turb

Old 06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Bobby J
Race Director

That highlighted statement is oxymoronic! How could you use a blanketed statement like that? If anything the statement about how fast car is is that the numbers put out in ideal situation. I t reflects the true abilities of the car.
I fail to see the oxymoron. Even so, you can find out the ultimate capabilities of a car by getting perfect conditions with a perfectly prepped track. Just don't expect those results when the car is tested in the real world under normal conditions and then declare the drivers idiots.

Obviously even idiots like some American living in Europe for too long and got brain-washed can figure out that a Z06 won't run ideally every time out. However, if the Italians can figure out how to beat 11 men with 10 on the a soccer field, they clearly should be able to figure out how to make their beloved Ferrari look good in their own test. Let's just say that the odds against the Z06/997TT/Viper were not stacked but rather piled up.
Although I don't really car that much for the Ferrari, it's not a slow car. Technology can make up for what is lacking in brut strength. The transmission is awesome, and it revs like a bike. Don't think it can't compete. That being said, the numbers for the Z are still very low. I still think it might have something to do with the test conditions. When conditions are less than favorable, some cars handle it better than others. In this test, the 2 front-engine (or front-mid engine) torque monsters seem to have trouble.

Considering the gearing and with less than favorable conditions, yes. I'm sure some drivers could do better, but I think it is plausible.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Bobby J
Race Director

Difficult sometime...

Evan Smith has run a stock GT into the low 11's. Fact still remains, same day same/driver test between the 2 cars come back again and again with the GT being slightly faster. In this one, it wasn't even close.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Come on V - irrelevant. In my post that you quoted, I am comparing Jamie's GT time with Ranger's Z time, both at prep'd strips, both in Maryland. Bobby stated that the Z is a 12s car (on real roads), which is indeed an oxymoron. By definition, a timed run of 12s is on a strip. Here's the real deal on real roads - if two guys go at it from a roll, the Z wins, b/c they can avoid the difficult launch. We have proof here from multiple forum guys, with multiple runs each.
Under my interpreatation, the GT would also be a 12 second car on "real roads". Maybe I didn't understand him correctly.

My point is that most cars will run faster on a prepped strip than in real life.

I think in a roll race between the GT and the Z (both cars truly stock) comes down to luck...which car is running better that day, which has less gas, etc. They are very evenly matched.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another European test: Z06 vs Ford GT vs Gallardo vs Ferrari 430 vs Porsche 997 turb