Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A pair of Aces-Z06 & Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Default A pair of Aces-Z06 & Ford GT

Finally got around to changing my sig pic. Absolutely the 2 best cars I've ever had! Although I have heard a little grumbling from the garage when I park them side by side.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:06 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I hear the same gripping from mine about the Saleen.

Beautiful car. I think the red is the only color I've seen that looks good without the stripes.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
js78
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

your very lucky!
god I hate ford, but I love that car

are you going to write up a comparison of the 2?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:40 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by js78
your very lucky!
god I hate ford, but I love that car

are you going to write up a comparison of the 2?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redzone
Finally got around to changing my sig pic. Absolutely the 2 best cars I've ever had! Although I have heard a little grumbling from the garage when I park them side by side.
Yes I have the same problem with grumbling from the cars.....The Z06 is skeerd of the Cavalier
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!

Alas, I was not able to keep both cars - wish I could have! Mine were only together one time very briefly;

Not to hijack REDZONE's thread, but you asked for a comparision, and I have been trying to formulate my own for some time now. They are kind of hard to compare, but some items are relatively easy to compare, such as the shifter - the GT shifter is "easier" (softer almost) but it is longer throw. I think I almost like the shorter throw of the Z better but it is a bit more notchy. They are both good shifters and probably end up a tie. I like the GT seats very much (didn't think I would initially). The steering "feels" much quicker on the GT - this is due to the ratio I am sure, but I have not checked the actual ratios. The GT feels a bit twitchy compared to the Z, but I think it is just a matter of getting used to the different steering. Ultimate turn-in and cornering will be very close between the two cars. I like the pedal layout on the GT, but the Z pedals weren't bad.

I definitely like the GT clutch better - smoother, with no chatter or shudder.

Brakes? All the published numbers give the edge to the Z under extreme braking, although so far both cars feel pretty close to me (reduced mass of the Z helps out here). While the rotors on my Z were not warped, it almost felt as if they were on the verge of slight warpage every time I rolled to a stop (very hard to describe, almost some pulsing at the pedal). My GT does not do that. Guess I am saying that around town everyday driving I may like the "feel" of the GT brakes a bit better.

The GT has a firm-but-not-harsh ride, with very few rattles. The Z seemed a bit harsher, but it felt a bit more "taut".

Power? VERY hard to compare. The Z feels more "raw" and is a bit louder when the exhaust opens up (I wish the GT was louder and I plan on addressing that...). The GT is smooth - DECEPTIVELY smooth. The raw edge of the Z almost makes it feel quicker, but the GT is so deceptive that I am sure they are very close. My honest opinion (so far) is that the Z will tie or slightly beat the GT to 100 (lighter weight, deeper gears). Then from 100 to 200 the GT will start to pull the Z. Of course this is incredibly subjective, and I was not able to get the two cars side by side for a little test. I think that many of the "poor" numbers we sometimes see for the Z are a result of big-time torque management and traction control interference, and the GT which has none of this, is more forgiving, even if the operator makes mistakes (i.e., the Z driver has to be much more precise to optimize the launch).

Both cars are torquey, and both are VERY easy to drive around town and gear selection does not matter in either car- choose a gear, even if it is the wrong one and the car will drive out of it effortlessly.

The GT is starting to grow on me. I may keep it.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Very well put!!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM
js78
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie

other than the $, why would you get rid of the gt?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:21 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Nice!

Power? VERY hard to compare. The Z feels more "raw" and is a bit louder when the exhaust opens up (I wish the GT was louder and I plan on addressing that...). The GT is smooth - DECEPTIVELY smooth. The raw edge of the Z almost makes it feel quicker, but the GT is so deceptive that I am sure they are very close. My honest opinion (so far) is that the Z will tie or slightly beat the GT to 100 (lighter weight, deeper gears). Then from 100 to 200 the GT will start to pull the Z. Of course this is incredibly subjective, and I was not able to get the two cars side by side for a little test. I think that many of the "poor" numbers we sometimes see for the Z are a result of big-time torque management and traction control interference, and the GT which has none of this, is more forgiving, even if the operator makes mistakes (i.e., the Z driver has to be much more precise to optimize the launch).

Both cars are torquey, and both are VERY easy to drive around town and gear selection does not matter in either car- choose a gear, even if it is the wrong one and the car will drive out of it effortlessly.

I have a friend with both and he keeps wanting to modify the GT because he says it does not feel as fast/torquey as the Z06 and the Z is so much more fun on the street. I know the way the power comes on on the SC'd motor is very deceptive but do you both agree with this statement? I know with the Z 1st and second are easy to break the tires loose, can the GT do this too? I think it has to do more with the gearing and the BIG back tires on the GT myself.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats... It's cool to have three of us on the site with C6 Z06's and Ford GT's. Here is my write up: http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/article20060807.htm

It's long but gives some good insight.

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

all 3 of u are extreemly lucky.. with awesome rides... congrats..
Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Nice Rides Gt looks awsome
Old 09-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

All the rich people here. Wish I were on of you.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shylor
Not me by a long shot. I bust my tail to pay for my toys, and have enought debt to prove it! I had to sell the Z06 (and my brand new C6 Vert) to get the GT. I tried to come up with some creative financing to allow me to keep both, but it just would have stretched me too thin. I am a working stiff like most of us around here!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

I do not consider myself "rich".I've worked very hard to get where I am in life & make no apologies for it.Besides, if I were rich there would be an Enzo in my sig pic too!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys truly are lucky to have best of both worlds. If a car is good, it deserves its merits no matter who makes the car IMO.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Not me by a long shot. I bust my tail to pay for my toys, and have enought debt to prove it!
I have no doubt you work hard but come on, anyone that can own a $150,000 car is well off in my eyes. Not to mention the expense of being able to drive it on the road. Granted your debt to income may be the same or worse than me but, I still couldn't even qualify for the C6 Z06, yet alone the GT or both! But I still wish I were you!

Get notified of new replies

To A pair of Aces-Z06 & Ford GT

Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I have no doubt you work hard but come on, anyone that can own a $150,000 car is well off in my eyes. Not to mention the expense of being able to drive it on the road. Granted your debt to income may be the same or worse than me but, I still couldn't even qualify for the C6 Z06, yet alone the GT or both! But I still wish I were you!

Don't call him rich, call him successful! Anyone who is lucky enough to own a Ford GT is a cool MF in my mind!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money comes mostly from sweat and hard work! I recently sold my company and at 47 was able to retire - at least for now.

I have many toys and when it came to treating myself, I budgeted $250,000. After looking at all the exotics and re-living the 1960s Le Mans era and this boy's dream - I bought the GT.

I ended selling my C5 Z06, cancelled my C6 Z06 only because for me having two sports cars was not a desire.

Both cars are different, but the GT gets a lot more attention than my Z06 ever got - and I frankly do not know why!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

I agree that the GT gets more attention than the Z06 - for me personally it can be too much at times. When I drove it to work I of course parked "way out", but all day long there was a crowd standing around the car, touching, rubbing, etc. By the end of the day I was pretty tired of it all. While driving you get a lot of thumbs up, and comments, which for the most part are OK. One guy in traffic was approaching me, and he stopped his van in traffic and leaned out the window while commenting and I think he wanted me to stop as I got alongside him (in traffic), but of course I did not. The best comment I got was from a very nice looking woman who called it very sexy (not me... the car). For the most part I would rather fly somewhat under the radar - guess that is going to be very hard to do with the GT.

You know what I really appreciated? With the Z06, you can see guys look at it, and the ones who KNOW what it is give you thumbs up or a wave or a comment - ANYONE can tell what a GT is and they appreciate it, but the ones who know and appreciate the Z06 always made me feel pretty good.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A pair of Aces-Z06 & Ford GT