Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Porsche 911 TT faster than Corvette Z06 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Z18Corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 911 TT faster than Corvette Z06 ??

I just saw the magazine GTO .
They tested the Porsche TT against the Z06 , i briefly looked at the numbers :
0 - 100 kmh TT = 3,9 Z06 = 4,3
0 - 200 kmh TT = 11,5 Z06 = 12, ....

Dont remeber the exact figs after the , because i put the magazine right into the rack again .
I mean everytime they test these to no matter what they always have a faster Porsche , what kinde !çà(!à'("é is this ?

Have anny of you some real live experiance between these two cars ?
I would find that a lot more reliable dan these Magazines being led by financial indicators ...

thanks beforehand , Dirk
Old 10-14-2006, 06:26 AM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z18Corvette

Dont remeber the exact figs after the , because i put the magazine right into the rack again .
I mean everytime they test these to no matter what they always have a faster Porsche , what kinde !çà(!à'("é is this ?

I would find that a lot more reliable dan these Magazines being led by financial indicators ...

thanks beforehand , Dirk
Don't believe everything you read . The tt is NOT faster than the Z. The reason they have a better time in this mag is, they are either biased in favor of the tt, which is very common, amongst auto reporters, which I do NOT SHARE, and/or they can't drive for shi*! The tt is an all wheel drive car, which will probably give you a very slight advantage at the start, especially if you are not a very good driver. However, after that if you are in a Z, you can go ahead and wave bye bye to the tt. Not only that, but the tt is almost $150k with just a few amenities....unlike the Z, which comes fully equipped for half that price. Also the roar of the 427 is an awesome sound, while the little 6 banger in the tt sounds like....a 6 banger. I would NEVER drive a car with a 6 banger...what a joke! Thats about like the ricers modding their 4 bangers with a fart can and then thinking they are very fast. The tt is a fast car, but for that kind of money, it should at least sound like a real car instead of a 6 banger. Now I know some will not agree, but those are the facts as I see them. Wait a minute, I have my flame suit on....blast away.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z18Corvette

thanks beforehand , Dirk

No way the 997TT is faster than the Z, the 997TT is simply too heavy (368 lbs more) than the Z and with less power (25 hp less).....
Old 10-14-2006, 09:27 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

There has been much discussion on this topic. I've looked at about all of the reports. The Summary is that the Porsche gets the jump because of AWD but they are both pretty equal up to about the quarter mile (but Z06 has higher trap speed) where the Z06 pulls ahead easily.

From any kind of roll (5 mph and on) the Z06 will out accelerate due to more power and lighter weight. The Z06 has a higher top speed (198 vs 193). And the Z06 is much faster around the track.

Now it looks like the new TT auto is a couple of tenths faster in the quarter, but I need to see more data to confirm this. That is impressive and combined with AWD make it an unbelievalbe street car.

finally, problem with the Z06 is traction. From what I have seen so far, if you put these two cars on a surface with great traction (i.e. a drag strip), the Z06 will shine.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 10-14-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:14 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Even the guys on Rennteam have accepted the Z06 is faster.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:20 AM
RadioManJ350Z33
Instructor

I sense that Porsche is over engineered, and lacks soul. While they are great driving vehicles, I believe that the Z is more fun, and obviously less investment.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Even the guys on Rennteam have accepted the Z06 is faster.
, and believe me, that takes A LOT!!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Z18Corvette
Instructor

its just .... i would apriciate if the mags gave honest information .
like most , i read all the info i can get my hands on , i even went to test drive the Z a few weeks ago .
I alway's gave credit to Porsche over the cornering and Corvette in the straights ? Seems that is changed now , so beleive the majorety , than why do some try to differ ...
There are a happy few arround who own both and can appriciate both for there pro's and con's , there comments would be comforting .

greetzz , Dirk
Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 PM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the statement about the sound. Nothing beats the roar of a V8. The porsche is a 6 and sounds, well, like a 6. The Z will eat the TT and have some change left over in the bank!
I frequently scare away porsches with the Bark of my CTSV.
I will have my Z on Monday. I am buying C5spd's Lingenfelter Z!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:08 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For reference my Z06 did 0-60 in 3.4sec and 0-100 in 7.4 sec last night. Mine has 22hp more than stock but that's not much.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 355Spider
For reference my Z06 did 0-60 in 3.4sec and 0-100 in 7.4 sec last night. Mine has 22hp more than stock but that's not much.
I'd be curious as if you could replicate that 0-60 time on the street instead of the dragstrip.

Good runs by the way.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The TT has the 4 wheel drive advantage, I can't get traction at all in 1st gear in my car, also, I read in R&T this month that the automatic is even quicker than the stick TT.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:07 PM
rkelon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Who Cares

We are talking 10ths of a second...look at the price difference! Look at the maintenance costs and the resale value. Plus the Porsche dents. I used to be a German car guy...the numbers don't add up.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:13 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Verruckt,
I've been able to clock a 0-60 of 3.5 seconds in the street with my G-Tech Pro. It was about 80 dgrees and I was on the stock EMTs. The way I did it was being very gentle in the launch and progressively squeezing the throttle as my RPMs climed.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rkelon
We are talking 10ths of a second...look at the price difference!
No question, I love my Vette's and would rather have them then one Porsche, except maybe the CGT . Our cars are tricky to launch whereas the TT with the automatic is just power brake and foot to the floor easy and the sticks are 5K rpm launches. I bet 355Spider and weaponsgrade had to practice quite a bit to get sub 3.6 0-60 times.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:37 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pio
No question, I love my Vette's and would rather have them then one Porsche, except maybe the CGT . Our cars are tricky to launch whereas the TT with the automatic is just power brake and foot to the floor easy and the sticks are 5K rpm launches. I bet 355Spider and weaponsgrade had to practice quite a bit to get sub 3.6 0-60 times.
Lot's of practice. When I first got the car I could only get 4.4.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche 911 TT faster than Corvette Z06 ??

Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
F-1
Advanced

The TT automatic is faster than the stick and honestly disclosed by Porsche as being so. The TT stick is faster than the Z off the line and the automatic (called tipronic) is even faster. That is a fact. The magazines are not lying or part of the Trilateral Commision or some other conspiracy. Why can't you guys get over yourselves and accept it!!!!

It's a simple fact that AWD will give you great launch and the physics of the ENGINE IN THE REAR give it an advantage and a jump on the Z. The magazines that test usually have the same people drive each car so one less variable is considered.

Could of, should of, and If are all I hear from you guys. If it was on a drag strip with grip, IF MY aunt had nads, she be my uncle etc. etc. Accept the fact the TT is faster off the line. So what. At the end of the 1/4 mile they are almost even and above that the Z pulls away. Don't be myopic. The first step is to stop the denial and admit it.

Then the insecure guys come in and say, "well the TT cost more". The the Porsche defenders come in and say the Vette interior sucks and the roof flys off. It never ends. The Z is not the come all be all of the world. It has it's weaknesses. The Porsches have their weaknesses too with their overpriced 911s that haven't changed their basic body style in over 40 years. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Get over it.

And to finish it off, I will say that an $80,000 car is NOT a bargain. If you want to compete against the Supercars of the world, then it is a bargain, but how many of you will be going over 150 MPH. Very very few. So the 99% of the guys that quote this and that above 150 and the top speed of 198 are armchair racers. The car is probably a daily driver that will never see the track or Autobaun.

The REAL BARGAIN is the base C6. 400 horses and 400 lbs of torque for nearly 1/2 the price. I am so sick and tired of everyone saying that the Z is such a bargain, but no one ever mentions that the Z's little brother is a true bargain for what you get and most people will never see the limits of that car.

FLAME AWAY BECAUSE MY NOMEX IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by F-1
The TT automatic is faster than the stick and honestly disclosed by Porsche as being so. The TT stick is faster than the Z off the line and the automatic (called tipronic) is even faster. That is a fact. The magazines are not lying or part of the Trilateral Commision or some other conspiracy. Why can't you guys get over yourselves and accept it!!!!

It's a simple fact that AWD will give you great launch and the physics of the ENGINE IN THE REAR give it an advantage and a jump on the Z. The magazines that test usually have the same people drive each car so one less variable is considered.

Could of, should of, and If are all I hear from you guys. If it was on a drag strip with grip, IF MY aunt had nads, she be my uncle etc. etc. Accept the fact the TT is faster off the line. So what. At the end of the 1/4 mile they are almost even and above that the Z pulls away. Don't be myopic. The first step is to stop the denial and admit it.

Then the insecure guys come in and say, "well the TT cost more". The the Porsche defenders come in and say the Vette interior sucks and the roof flys off. It never ends. The Z is not the come all be all of the world. It has it's weaknesses. The Porsches have their weaknesses too with their overpriced 911s that haven't changed their basic body style in over 40 years. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Get over it.

And to finish it off, I will say that an $80,000 car is NOT a bargain. If you want to compete against the Supercars of the world, then it is a bargain, but how many of you will be going over 150 MPH. Very very few. So the 99% of the guys that quote this and that above 150 and the top speed of 198 are armchair racers. The car is probably a daily driver that will never see the track or Autobaun.

The REAL BARGAIN is the base C6. 400 horses and 400 lbs of torque for nearly 1/2 the price. I am so sick and tired of everyone saying that the Z is such a bargain, but no one ever mentions that the Z's little brother is a true bargain for what you get and most people will never see the limits of that car.

Well said.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:32 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by F-1

Go buy a C6 then.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Porsche 911 TT faster than Corvette Z06 ??