Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Total Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by m3corvette
Yes, as funny as it sounds, GM told me earlier today that due to after-market parts (headers) that my total car warranty is void on my 2006 C6 Z06. I really don't care per-se, but to me it's about the principle of the matter.

It started a few months ago when GM denied warranty for my starter which they say failed due to my headers. I paid out of pocket and did not think of it again untill today when I got my hands on a doc from GM about my car (with my vin) that says I quote "due to manufactures knowledge of this vehicle this claim is denied". I called GM to inquire and they called me back a few hours later to tell me my warranty was void................the whole car!! I informed them of the US Code- title 15, chapter 50 sections 2301-2312 the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. They told me that has something to do with the Lemon Law! Riiiight!!!

I asked the Gm rep if I changed the rims and tires (which I have) on my car and my radio fails, my warranty would be void under their(his) interruption of the GM claim. He said yes!

Now here's the kicker. I asked for this (that my warranty is void due to after-market) in writing, E-mail or any other form of documentation stating that my warranty is void and they said they were unable, that would have to come from a local dealer. Say what!!! I do have that one doc that was meant for the dealer and not me. This should be interesting to say the least. I wonder how good their 5yr/100,000 warranty will work!

It sounds like the dealer is just trying to give you a hard time. You may want to talk to the zone manager. If you give me the last 6 of your VIN I'll tell you if they actually put a warranty block on it.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fa63
Dealerships don't make much money off of Corvettes since they are a pain to work on and what the factory says should take 2 hours to fix more than likely will take much more time. Also, if the service manager approves the repairs and GM denies it after the car has been repaired and returned to the customer, the dealership will end up eating the costs so they tend to be cautious.
Very true. The dealer (friend) that I got my Z from, told me that almost all the allotment time for repairs is way under what is needed. To me this just causes a "rush" job at the dealerships to get it in and out and that leads to...................................... ...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Scott- I thought you got caught with the dealerships daughter, this may explain a few things.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Scott- I thought you got caught with the dealerships daughter, this may explain a few things.
No, his wife!! It's all your fault Rich.................................pus hing me to go faster.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. To those that asked about the dealer, it was not the dealer it actually came from GM. The dealer (a friend) tried to get my money back for the starter that I paid for. They were totally honest with GM telling them that the work was done elsewhere and just wanted the part covered.
This is getting really strange - it is VERY unusual for GM to initiate a block since someone has to first drop a dime on your mods, and it's usually a dealer who doesn't want to do the warranty work at GM rates. OK, is there more to this story?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Scott, I, like you, can afford to pay. However, a few years ago when I moved to this area I went to the local dealer and met the Corvette mechanic. He turned out to be a very nice guy. I have been in their shop and heard him tell the shop forman he was not going to do what he asked because it was wrong! I have become very good friends with him. He knows what GM and the dealership will and won't cover so he covers for me. He is now a GM master Mechanic. He installs a lot of after market parts on Corvettes at the dealership. I don't know that you can do this where you live. I have become such good friend with this guy that he comes to get either one of my Corvettes when he wants them. He took my new less than 750 miles) 07 C6Z to the Corvette Christmas party. I was out of town playing golf.

Please keep us informed. It is always nice to know where people you are doing business with stand. I know a lot of people that work at GM and they would not like what has happened to you. If it is "OK" with you I am going to pass this information on. Will you email me your VIN number?

Good luck.

Last edited by Painrace; 12-15-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 PM
domslude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds to me like it's the dealer. I have bought lots of sport bikes, and modded the crap out of them. As long as my mod didn't cause the problem they always fixed them.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
SimpsonH
Pro

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I'd wonder if someone at your dealership just doesn't like you.

The dealer makes money on most warranty work. If you modded your motor but came in with an unrelated radio problem for instance, why wouldn't he fix it under warranty? He gets paid, and I can't imagine GM questioning him. Maybe you just need to spread a little more goodwill, or 'grease' around the dealership.

You were reported to GM by the Dealer. Not everyone at the Dealer is your friend.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Update.....................I just received a call from the GM area rep where the starter was submitted for warranty(not my local area). His name is Kevin B. and seems to be a very stand up guy. He knew my car very well and what has been done to it it terms of mods and knew all about my 1/4 mile runs. He swears to me that there is no block on my car, but it has been "flaged". He also said that I should have never been told (3 different people from GM) that my warranty was totally void. He did tell me that my C6 Z is to be looked at on a case by case basis for every time it is to be worked on.

Now my question is, is it better for GM to void the warranty and tell me to take a hike, or work with me knowing that this car travells all over (shows like Bloomington Gold, Sema, Carlisle) on display with Zip Corvettes and helps promote business and interest for GM. I agree a part directly attributed to a mod should be disallowed, but not the whole car. The saga continues! He is suppose to call me back by weeks end with my "sentencing".
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's BS. My dealership even allowed more time in hours to work on my car because it had aftermarket headers. They said GM will even pay for the extra man hours to work around headers. Your dealership screwed you most likely.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SimpsonH

You were reported to GM by the Dealer. Not everyone at the Dealer is your friend.
Not true, they all like me...................................... ......it's only my wife and kids that don't!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Pio
Your right, why should we hold the manufacturer responsible if we add a cam then drop a valve?

HOWEVER, why would they void the warranty on the radio, door locks, windsheild washer resevoir motor and the rest of the vehicle for something that adds hp?
I don't think they should void the portion of the warranty that does not relate to the mod. That would not be reasonable.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

My personal experience indicates there has been a change in GM's warranty response in the past year or so. Now the dealer has to ask for approval... before starting warranty work. Before, the dealers Service Manager would approve warranty work. All my warranty claims have been approved... but there has been a delay of one or two days, awaiting approval from GM.

IMO... GM has tightened up on warranty approval. I suggest caution on any mods that could be questioned.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
That's BS. My dealership even allowed more time in hours to work on my car because it had aftermarket headers. They said GM will even pay for the extra man hours to work around headers. Your dealership screwed you most likely.
My dealership tech told me the same thing about headers last year.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
vjones
Burning Brakes

Before I sold my C6, I was at the local dealer getting an oil change and one of the service guys told me that there was a Z06 that came in and the brakes were melted over from the guy tracking his car. They put a void on his car. I think it does depend on the dealer.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Not fixing the starter under warranty is a bit of a stretch.

I copied some of GM's warranty language. I don't have as big a problem as some of you do when you make engine mods and scream the blues when GM denies warranty coverage. But how about racing? The car is sold in the context of racing as an intended use. If the car is kept stock, with the exception of tires, I think GM would be hard pressed to deny coverage. Has anyone had any experience with such a problem? I know of one guy who had a problem with a drag racing breakdown during burnout, Ranger knows the story, where GM tried to deny warranty coverage.

Original Equipment Alterations
This warranty does not cover any damage or failure
resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle’s
original equipment as manufactured or assembled
by GM. Examples of the types of alterations that would
not be covered include installation or use of any
non-GM parts, accessories, and materials, or the cutting,
welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle’s original
equipment parts and components.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Now my question is, is it better for GM to void the warranty and tell me to take a hike, or work with me knowing that this car travells all over (shows like Bloomington Gold, Sema, Carlisle) on display with Zip Corvettes and helps promote business and interest for GM.
Probably the latter, since that procedure follows the terms of the warranty and the relevant federal law. I'm beginning to think that with the notoriety you have in some circles, your car may be the only one (or one of few) that GM initiated warranty scrutiny on its own. Congratulations . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Total Warranty Void

Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6799
Not fixing the starter under warranty is a bit of a stretch.

I copied some of GM's warranty language. I don't have as big a problem as some of you do when you make engine mods and scream the blues when GM denies warranty coverage. But how about racing? The car is sold in the context of racing as an intended use. If the car is kept stock, with the exception of tires, I think GM would be hard pressed to deny coverage. Has anyone had any experience with such a problem? I know of one guy who had a problem with a drag racing breakdown during burnout, Ranger knows the story, where GM tried to deny warranty coverage.

Original Equipment Alterations
This warranty does not cover any damage or failure
resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle’s
original equipment as manufactured or assembled
by GM. Examples of the types of alterations that would
not be covered include installation or use of any
non-GM parts, accessories, and materials, or the cutting,
welding, or disconnecting of the vehicle’s original
equipment parts and components.
There is another section that talks about misuse and racing or other competitive events . . .
Old 12-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Allan,

I was under the impression that although the car is 'ready for the track', it is not covered if you take it there, modded or not. Can you find no reference to this with your verbiage in legalese?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette6799
I don't think they should void the portion of the warranty that does not relate to the mod. That would not be reasonable.
No kidding, but they did it to the original poster...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Total Warranty Void