Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] G-tech or vericom vc2000

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
don420
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-tech or vericom vc2000

Which one is more accurate the g-tech or vericom vc2000, and has anyone ran there 06 or 07 z06 on them, also too what kind of results did you get. I am told the vericom reads 3 tenths to slow and mph is
right on it,and the g-tech reads 3 mph too fast,is this true.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 PM
tomato
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the G-Tech Pro RR, and I have not been to the drags to verfiy. However, IMO, it is a nice gadget to play around with. Tough to use it for serious measurement, though. What are you looking to do? I had some fun running 0-60s and stuff, and it's cool downloading the data and viewing the G graphs, but, again, tough to use it for anything practical.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
don420
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomato
I have the G-Tech Pro RR, and I have not been to the drags to verfiy. However, IMO, it is a nice gadget to play around with. Tough to use it for serious measurement, though. What are you looking to do? I had some fun running 0-60s and stuff, and it's cool downloading the data and viewing the G graphs, but, again, tough to use it for anything practical.

i have both of them and just wondering what kind of times
you got out of them.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
raj
Drifting

I believe the Gtrech pro measures the quartermile speed at the quartermile mark while drag strips record the average over the last 60 feet. This results in the Gtech meter displaying a somewhat higher (3-4 mph) terminal velocity than the drag strip. The ET should be accurate though as is the measurment repeatability. Not sure about the Vericom.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used a G-Tech Pro RR in both my car and Ranger's car and found that when calibrated correctly, it can be very accurate.

The calibration procedure is well documented in the manual - just takes the discipline to actually do it.

The key to getting accurate E.T. measurements with any kind of accelerometer is really dependent on your ability to stage exactly the same way every time and dial in the correct roll-out into the device. On a C6Z, the first 12 inches of movement take about 0.39 of a second - or about .03 per inch (!). So, you've got to stage very carefully to get the timers in the G-tech lined up with how the drag strip is measuring your time.

I have found the G-tech to be a valuable analysis and instructional tool that goes well beyond simply measuring E.T and MPH at the drag strip. Have discovered many attributes about my driving (as well as the car) that would be very difficult and time consuming to analyze without having this kind of data available. Putting this kind of device in a superb driver like Ranger's car and capturing how a pro does it, can also be quite valuable as an instructional aid and speed up the learning process.

For example: Shortly after comparing my RPM launch profile with Ranger's, I was able to run an 11.46 (bone stock)-- with just a handful of passes under my belt.

So, if you want to start doing any kind of data acquisition and analysis of your runs at the drag strip, a G-tech Pro RR while not perfect, is probably the quickest and least expensive way to get started.

Last edited by dgdoc; 01-02-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

dgdoc introduced me to his GTech Pro RR and we have used it to collect data on some drag strip passes by my car and his. I will be using some of that data in my forthcoming DVD to explain the car's response to different driver techniques.

Key to getting accurate results with the GTech is proper set-up and calibration, which are covered in the manual. Drag strip is the ideal spot for calibration. Because it is flat and time slips provide ground truth for comparative purposes.

I used it for insight into launch rpm, throttle squeeze effectiveness, shiftpoints, shift duration, shift location, wheel spin on the shifts, torque management. For those purposes, the GTech is a valuable tool.

And I agree with raj...

Originally Posted by raj
...the Gtrech pro measures the quartermile speed at the quartermile mark while drag strips record the average over the last 60 feet. This results in the Gtech meter displaying a somewhat higher (3-4 mph) terminal velocity than the drag strip. The ET should be accurate though as is the measurment repeatability.
The time slip trap speed is the average across the the final 66 feet of the 1320.

When used on the street, it is important to do like measurements in both directions and average the times attained. This will tend to mitigate inaccuracy caused by the slope of the road. Most roads that look flat aren't; and wind direction and speed are factors that will skew results unless runs in two directions are averaged.

Ranger
Old 01-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Although I own an older model vericom, I think it's junk compared to the AX-22

It's far more accurate than the Vericom or the G-tech since it also uses GPS data.

http://www.drivedata.com/prodlog.html
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ters-work.html

G-Tech Pro RR did well.

-D
Old 01-02-2007, 10:50 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the G-Tech Pro RR and have used it at the drag strip to see how accurate it is. I've used it in every car I have owned since I got it except the Z06. In some cars, once dialed in, it was amazingly accurate to the dragstrip numbers. Within 0.15 and 1 mph... but with others.. no matter how I set it up I was unable to get it within 0.50-0.60 and 4-7 mph. My Mustang it is the worst with... it reads slow (0.50+) on the ET, but high on the trap speed(5mph+). When I race it I dont even bother with using it anymore. On my M3 I had it was real accurate!!

I will use it at the track with the Z06 as soon as we get some cool weather here in S. Florida... It has been in the low 80s for a high here for 25 outta the last 30 days.

Get notified of new replies

To G-tech or vericom vc2000

Quick Reply: [Z06] G-tech or vericom vc2000