Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job Norm.

So I guess those 07's must have something else special.

Oh yeah! 10% privilege tax applied by GM.

Most likely at this stage, they probably won't install them until 08.

By the way, which shock will perform better? I quess it won't be the soft one.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allanlaw
It goes on the real-time parts ordering system that all the GM parts dealers use. We are not still in the days of looking this stuff up in obsolete hard copy catalogs.
Thanks.

Do your databases show all the index/revision levels...or just the most recent???
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
1HOT427
Racer

Thanks for taking the time to get to the bottom of this.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Pat07c6z
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Most likely at this stage, they probably won't install them until 08.

Stay tuned for a thread titled "10 Reasons an 07 is better than an 08"

Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect the answer to this question is like everything else in racing: Identify the track, the conditions under which you're running, the driver, and all other aspects of the of the car's setup which have been tweaked for that particular track and day, and then try both to see which rear shock provides faster lap times.

That's the fallacy in this entire "which is better" debate: folks who are truly engaged in series racing, whether it is cars or something else (or in my case, setting up and tuning 2 stroke GP road racing bikes for the now-defunct AMA 250 GP series), are constantly changing everything, such as suspension settings, gearing, tire compounds, air pressure, wheel widths (and thus tire profile), engine setup (in every way imaginable), and many other parameters, to reduce lap times.

I'm guessing (as we all are guessing in this regard), that softer settings (such as compression dampening) will generally work better on a rougher track (where there lap times are going to be slower anyway because the track is rough), and harder settings will generally produce better times on a smoother, faster track--at least that was the generalization in setting up 250 GP bikes.

It appears that the softer settings of the soon-to-be-released rear shocks are aimed more at US market ride comfort than getting around a particular track as quickly as possible, although I could see softer settings improving times at rougher, slower tracks. Again, just gross generalizations.

Last edited by JDRacing; 03-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDRacing
I suspect the answer to this question is like everything else in racing: Identify the track, the conditions under which you're running, the driver, and all other aspects of the of the car's setup which have been tweaked for that particular track and day, and then try both to see which rear shock provides faster lap times.

That's the fallacy in this entire "which is better" debate: folks who are truly engaged in series racing, whether it is cars or something else (or in my case, setting up and tuning 2 stroke GP roadracing bikes for the now-defunct AMA 250 GP road racing series), are constantly changing everything, such as suspension settings, gearing, tire compounds, air pressure, wheel widths (and thus tire profile), engine setup (in every way imaginable), and many other parameters, to reduce lap times.

I'm guessing (as we all are guessing in this regard), that softer settings (such as compression dampening) will generally work better on a rougher track (where there lap times are going to be slower anyway because the track is rough), and harder settings will generally produce better times on a smoother, faster track--at least that was the generalization in setting up 250 GP bikes.

It appears that the softer settings of the soon-to-be-released rear shocks are aimed more at US market ride comfort than getting around a particular track as quickly as possible, although I could see softer settings improving times at rougher, slower tracks. Again, just gross generalizations.
And your point is? Ha Ha! Just kidding.

Actually your point makes sense to me. Every road and every track will feel different. I personally thought the current shocks felt pretty good for an all round ride.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pat07c6z
Stay tuned for a thread titled "10 Reasons an 07 is better than an 08"

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

I personally thought the current shocks felt pretty good for an all round ride.

I'm absolutely with you on this one. This car rides, yet handles at insane speeds, so much better than my 2002 S2000 (which is no slouch in the handling department), that I'd have no reason to switch to softer shocks (unless I were trying to cut 0.45 seconds off my times at some bumpy track--and that would imply I could drive to that level, which I can't). Yeah, I could make it ride softer, but I bought this thing to feel like a sports car, dammit, and the ride with the current shock settings already feels to me amazingly compliant for a 3100 lbs sports car.

The trade offs for softer shocks are what the Autobahn folks are clamoring about, and the reason they want to go even stiffer--high speed stability in a straight line and on smooth sweepers and other turns at tracks where the suspension's function is limited mostly to weight transfer, and not to absorbing bumps in the middle of a turn.

Last edited by JDRacing; 03-01-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,089 Likes on 1,973 Posts

I've got some limited access to the dealer parts system. It's only showing one part number for the 07 Z06 rear shock right now.

I'd say check back with your dealer or the resources on this board in a few more weeks. Maybe something will have changed by then.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks Norm, I'm pretty amazed you got a hold of the Big Kahuna himself, where I can't even get through GM service center
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As soon as basic Bilstein Sports are available, I will switch to those, so the rear issue shocks will be moot!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by normlunt
Correct. And in GM's defense they THOUGHT it was going to be incorporated on the 2007s but the supplier couldn't deliver for whatever reason(s).
Wasn't that a March 07 edition of C&D, and didn't production of 07s start in August of 06?

I am still laughing about the "placebo effect" and all the testimonials of how much better the 07s felt since that C&D came out.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 144 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wasn't that a March 07 edition of C&D, and didn't production of 07s start in August of 06?

I am still laughing about the "placebo effect" and all the testimonials of how much better the 07s felt since that C&D came out.
Exactly the same thought that crossed my mind as I read through this. More than 7 months into '07 production, GM new they did not have these new shocks on the '07 run.

Besides, I like my shocks and ride just he way they are.

And thanks to 'normlunt', for getting the skinny on this ending the BS.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt
This is the case with most "world" cars. The US cars get softer suspension and higher ride heights for the most part. This is due to customer demographic and DOT regulations. It's the same for BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.
And with P cars it's also due to customer complaints in Porsche customer surveys.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 144 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
And with P cars it's also due to customer complaints in Porsche customer surveys.
Wouldn't it be great if sports cars can only be sold to the extreme enthusiast. Then the cars would get better and tighter from our complaints as opposed to softer and more compliant. I bought my Z for what it does. If I want a Cadilac ride, I'll buy a Caddy.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Norm,
Thanks for tracking this information down. It's great to have an answer to all the confusion.
Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ReddyZ06
Norm,
Thanks for tracking this information down. It's great to have an answer to all the confusion.
Mike
You're welcome. My curisoity was killing me so I had to find out how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Swiftwater Z06
Thanks for your effort in resolving this question. We have resolution but it's not very satisfying to a new '07 owner.
Double thanks on the direct factual resolution....and double crap on the feeling of being a new '07 owner.

As Normlunt said....not gonna pursue it....probably makes no significant difference....I would just like to feel like I'm on top of the curve for two minutes....just TWO minutes!

OK, I'm done now...my two minutes are over now....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Pat07c6z
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE
Double thanks on the direct factual resolution....and double crap on the feeling of being a new '07 owner.

As Normlunt said....not gonna pursue it....probably makes no significant difference....I would just like to feel like I'm on top of the curve for two minutes....just TWO minutes!

OK, I'm done now...my two minutes are over now....
You still are...the softer shocks are only better on really rough tracks....which are less common than smooth. The glass is half full!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge