Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Museum Experience and road trip with the Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Fw190D9
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Museum Experience and road trip with the Z

Well, after months of lurking around here, I finally got my Z. I fell in love with the new Z about a year ago but just couldnt get myself past the MSRP and the dealer markups. I finally realized that my best bet would be to find an '06 model with a few miles on it. Several months of ebay searching later, I found an 06 LMB Z with a 2lz package and nav going in my price range. It was traded in to a car dealer called "Music City Motorsports in Nashville Tn. Seems the owner who had the vette wanted another M5(go figure) Anyway, I called music city and the salesman was very easy to deal with. The deal was struck and I now found myself in the position of having to convince my better half that I needed a Corvette. After several hours of begging and promises on my part, She decided to go with me to get the vette and drive it home to Texas. One of the things I really wanted to do was the museum delivery. I found out from the NCM website that you can do the Museum experience if you buy a used vette. Its almost the same as museum delivery and is actually about $100 cheaper. I emailed the NCM and got signed up for the experience. We then flew to Nashville, where the salesman picked us up from the airport and took us directly to my new Z. Fortunately it was everything he claimed it to be. No scratches in the paint and everything in good shape. He even filled the tank all the way up! Since it was late, we went to the hotel whereupon the valets started a small wrestling match to see who would get to park my Z.
Next day, we headed out to the museum. Bowling Green is only about an hour north of Nashville so the trip gave me a chance to get aquainted with my new baby. Once at the musuem I got to park in front with the other Vettes in the parking lot.(nice touch). I was met inside by my guide for the day, Steve Ashby. Steve proceeded to take us directly to the plant to check out the assembly line while my car was getting detailed. The Assembly plant was FANTASTIC! The engineering alone that went ito making such a large plant function is simply incredible. To me, the plant tour was worth the whole trip, just amazing. After walking a considerable distance on the green line, we came to the part of the plant where new vettes are fired up for the first time and driven off the line. Imagine my suprise when they asked me if I wanted to start one up! I was ushered behind the lines and planted in a brand new 2007 red Z06. I was honored to "give birth" to a new Z and get to see a big "0" on the odometer.
Next we went to the museum where I was treated to the sight of my Z all polished up and sitting on the museum floor. It was behind the ropes and right next to the "nursery" where all the new corvettes where waiting for their new owners to take musuem delivery. I must say that the museum staff is first rate and they went out of their way to make sure we got the whole museum experience. Steve was an incredible guide and knew just about everything when it came to the corvette. (Steve is a veteran of 39 years of GM assembly line with a large portion of those years on the Corvette line). Simply amazing, I cant say enough about the musuem experience. Well worth the money to anyone who buys a corvette, new or used.
Next day, we hit the road for Texas. The Z was suprisingly comfortable for a long road trip. I had to keep it in 5th for most of the trip as the surrounding traffic was driving just too dang slow! I did get her up to triple digit speeds several times. Just cant believe how smooth this car is! It even inspired confidence driving in the rain. I was also pleasantly suprised by the fuel economy. Im used to my 502 camaro draining the tank quickly. The Z was averaging about 20-21 mpg on the trip. Not bad for a 500hp car. BTW, The passport 8500 I got for the trip was worth its weight in gold. 1100 miles on the way home and I didnt get pulled over once! I think my average highway speed was about 85-90mph. Those big brakes really haul the Z down when the passport said to. Pretty long winded I know, but I just had to post about this most pleasant first corvette experience. Now I gotta go wash all that road grime off my new baby..........
Evan Q.
Attached Images       
Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great story.
I picked up my LMB Z two weeks ago at Jimmie Jophnson Chev in San Diego. Wanted to do the Museum delivery, but circumstances did not work out for that.
So how did you set up the delivery for yours. I think me and a couple of others would like to try it out!!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent - glad to hear you got to fulfil your dream
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy it, it's a great car.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! didnt know you could do that with used Z's as well.

Of course, you picked the best color, too! Congrats on your Z! Enjoy!

If you ever make it to DFW, PM me - I'd like to see the color in person!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Toonz
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

Congrats on both parts!

It's looking like I won't be able to the the museum deliver part since my time on leave is getting cut short. Everyone I've heard talk about says it's worth it, but sometimes things just don't work out.

Glad you got to go through it! One of these days I might get to.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Fw190D9
Instructor

Thanks Guys, The museum and plant are definately worth the trip. The musuem experience which I got is for anyone with a corvette, new or used, any year. Here is the link for it:
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/experience/index.shtml
The price is $350 and you get just about everthing a new museum delivery has.

2KZ28CAM, The color is fantastic. Email me if you are ever in the Seguin area. BTW, I drove thru the big D last night, lots o traffic!

RamonaC5, Email Gary at the museum from the link I posted and set up the date for the experience.

Here are a few more pics from the trip
Evan Q.
Attached Images       
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Pat07c6z
Pro

Take it to the track! Reckless driving and breaking the law is frowned upon here!

Sorry, I thought I was a moderator for a second! I personally hit triple digit speeds every day. Congrats on the new ride!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fw190D9
Thanks Guys, The museum and plant are definately worth the trip.
I'm taking the late morning factory tour on May 11. This is something I've wanted to do since I bought my first C5 in November, 1997. It's a birthday present from my significant other.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Great story, thanks for sharing! Congrats on the Lemans Blue, a beauty! Drive safe and enjoy.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
JCZ33
Racer

Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Dr_PimpRide
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

That's awesome. I didn't realize you could do the NCM delivery for used cars, too. Congrats on your new Z.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Congratulations, enjoy your new car.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Congratulations, enjoy your new car.
Ditto!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
A427MAN
Pro

Congrats!

That's cool! ...so, they do a complete detail and bring it inside for the "presentation"!? ...very cool!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Great write up. Now let Henderson Performance put headers and a tune on that thing!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Fw190D9
Instructor

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Great write up. Now let Henderson Performance put headers and a tune on that thing!
Funny you should say that, I just got done eating lunch with Corey Henderson and discussing that very modification. I will probably keep it stock for awhile before doing any mods however. I think I would like to enjoy it just like it is for the time being. HPT does awesome work however and I would reccomend his shop to anyone wishing to mod a late model corvette. He just got finished installing a crate LS7 into a C5, dry sump and all. As for my Z, turns out the previous owner removed the fuse for the exhaust baffles. That probably explains the funny looks I got from the wife on the way home regarding the loudness of the car at idle. (huh? Its supposed to sound that way baby!)

Evan Q,

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Experience and road trip with the Z

Old 03-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fw190D9
Funny you should say that, I just got done eating lunch with Corey Henderson and discussing that very modification. I will probably keep it stock for awhile before doing any mods however. I think I would like to enjoy it just like it is for the time being. HPT does awesome work however and I would reccomend his shop to anyone wishing to mod a late model corvette. He just got finished installing a crate LS7 into a C5, dry sump and all. As for my Z, turns out the previous owner removed the fuse for the exhaust baffles. That probably explains the funny looks I got from the wife on the way home regarding the loudness of the car at idle. (huh? Its supposed to sound that way baby!)

Evan Q,
I agree that seat time and driving school should come before mods. It never ceases to amaze me how many people mod their cars without improving their skills first. The C6Z06 is plenty fast bone stock and well beyond the driving capabilities of 99% of owners.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 PM
JFCalvano
Instructor

Now, go back to the part where you let a valet park your new Vet. . . I wouldn't let a valet drive mine - even if she is my wife!

Congrats on your Z. She sure is pretty. And, the car's not bad looking either.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Fw190D9
Instructor

Well it was either let the valet park it or leave it outside in downtown Nashville. Actually, the valet at the hotel was very carefull with it( I watched with a nervous eye as he drove it the whole way to the parking spot.) I figrured it would be safer in the parking structure with the other valet parked cars than on the street in a strange town.
On another note, took the new Z today to Henderson performance whereupon I did my first clutch fluid change. It was pretty dirty and needed it. Now I gotta go about getting an out of state car registered here in Texas. Feel kinda naked with no stickers on the windshield

Evan Q.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Museum Experience and road trip with the Z