Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need Advice; Changing tires and wheels..can TP sensors be reused?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Congaman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice; Changing tires and wheels..can TP sensors be reused?

I'm about to change the wheels on the Z06. I bought them from LG Motorsport and got the message that the existing TP sensors could be reused.

Now a friend pointed out that the sensors are glued to the wheel and therefor probably couldn't be removed without damaging them.

So what is right and what is wrong? Could the sensors be used and if so...how to remove them without damaging them?

First.....don't tell me to buy new ones....I would...but it takes a long time here in Europe as you have to import the sensors from USA.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

I don't see why not.

They have a small stem to them that you uncrew from the rim.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
I don't see why not.

They have a small stem to them that you uncrew from the rim.
Ahh...so my friend is wrong when he says that the sensors are glued to the wheel?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The sensors are not glued at all.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST
The sensors are not glued at all.
Thanks alot....so it's just to unscrew them then?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Richie Carbone
Racer

Tell your friend to lay off the glue.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Congaman
I'm about to change the wheels on the Z06. I bought them from LG Motorsport and got the message that the existing TP sensors could be reused.

Now a friend pointed out that the sensors are glued to the wheel and therefor probably couldn't be removed without damaging them.

So what is right and what is wrong? Could the sensors be used and if so...how to remove them without damaging them?

First.....don't tell me to buy new ones....I would...but it takes a long time here in Europe as you have to import the sensors from USA.
Been there done that.................yes they are reusable..............
Old 03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to band them to the new wheels.If you put each 1 back where it came from you don't have to reset.Which wheels and size did you get?

Last edited by Luweegy; 03-29-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by Luweegy
You may have to band them to the new wheels.If you put each 1 back where it came from you don't have to reset.Which wheels and size did you get?
Thanks to you all... I will sure tell my friend to lay off the glue..

I bought the Forgeline SP3P with gun metal center from LG Motorsports. They are stock sizes....looking very nice i think:

http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/sp3p_gm.jpg

I'll post some photos when they are on the car. But due to work I will not be able to put them on until 17 april.

Last edited by Congaman; 03-30-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Congaman
Thanks to you all... I will sure tell my friend to lay off the glue..

I bought the Forgeline SP3P with gun metal center from LG Motorsports. They are stock sizes....looking very nice i think:

http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/sp3p_gm.jpg

I'll post some photos when they are on the car. But due to work I will not be able to put them on until 17 april.
First of all, when you do take your old tires off the old wheels to take out the sensors, take a look at the sensors and record the GM Part# that is molded into the sensor. You can see on the sensor below for a U.S. C6 that the Part# is 25758220. I believe the sensors for a C6 delivered in Europe is a different part#, and that would be a good thing to know for the future if you need to order new sensors. The U.S. sensors are the gray/black color you see in the pictures, and I think your sensors may be orange in color with a different Part#:

Also, if they note which corner of the car the sensor is on and mount them in the wheels/tires that will go back on that same corner of the car, then they won't have to use a tire sensor reset tool to re-register the sensors with the TPMS computer. If they move the sensors around (i.e., they put the one that was in the Right Front tire on the Left Rear), then your readout of tire pressures in the DIC will not correspond to the proper location (i.e., when the DIC says "Right Front 32 psi" it might be reading the sensor that is in the Left Rear tire).

However, I'm sure your tire shop will have a tire sensor reset tool and will be able to take care of that for you.

Hopefully you can mount your sensors in the valve stem hole like the sensors are mounted in the stock wheels.

Here's a thread where Anthony from LGMotorsports says that your Forgeline wheels should be able to accept the sensors in the stock location:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1610139

Here's a picture of how the sensors mount in the OE wheels:

Here's an old thread about "banding" sensors in some I-forged wheels (There are some pictures in there of sensors glued and strapped inside the wheel with long plastic tie-wraps.):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1412003

Here's another thread withe pictures using a long metal "hose clamp" type of strap:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1642670

And, here's another thread about problems mounting sensors in after market wheels - scroll down to post# 14 and see a picture of some brackets used to mount the sensors inside the wheel:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1617584

Hope that helps,

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-30-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added thread about brackets

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice; Changing tires and wheels..can TP sensors be reused?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need Advice; Changing tires and wheels..can TP sensors be reused?