Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 Feels Slower than C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger

Many C6Z owners, including I, have commented that at the drag strip the C6Z is generally no faster to 60' and barely faster to 330' than a well-driven C5Z. But after the 330' where the C6Z is above 5500 in 2d gear, the CZ6 has a significant advantage in acceleration from that point on, as the C5Z's effective gearing advantage gives way to the higher rpm range of the C6Z. And above 100, the LS7 dramatically out-accelerates the C5Z.

For owners who spend time accelerating above 70 mph, the difference is pronounced. For those who don't, the difference is small or hard to detect at all.
This is dead on ! When used as a street car ... the C5Z is almost the equal of its son. But, from 70 and up ... Junior will take it to Dad.

Its all about gearing advantage of the C5. Put some 3.90's/ 4.10's in the C6Z ... and you will really feel that 25% HP/TQ advantage.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bernrex
Its all about gearing advantage of the C5. Put some 3.90's/ 4.10's in the C6Z ... and you will really feel that 25% HP/TQ advantage.
What would you do for traction with gearing like that? Slicks? My rear tires are vaporizing plenty fast enough with stock gearing!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Exterminator
What would you do for traction with gearing like that? Slicks? My rear tires are vaporizing plenty fast enough with stock gearing!
No .... DOT approved Drag Radials. Time to ditch those RunFlats !
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you think the C6Z has tall gearing, wait until you see the blue devil gear combo

chevy knows these new 7.0 and blown 6.2 powerplants are making gobs more tq than the old 346ci powerplants, so they have to make concessions when it comes to tire choices, gearing and the fact they really don't want to throw a spare on the already lightweight package. So, you get runflats and taller gearing than some of the straightline racers would prefer....but thats just the way it is. The target market is broader than that.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
It's all in the tires. First off, the F1s have always sucked in the straightline traction department.

I just got my Z51 C6 back with 474 RWHP/438 RWT. It has the M12 gears and 4.10s and 18in rears. The car hooks in 1st and is stupid fast 1st thru 3rd - way quicker than my 06 Z. This is only possible because I am running Nitto R2s (305) on the rear (and 275's front).

I have been running Nitto R tires on the street the last 3 years and have never had a problem. On my C5 Z, they were lasting about as long as the F1s, about 4K miles.

As the saying goes: "Don't fear the gear" ...if you have the tires to handle them.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
you think the C6Z has tall gearing, wait until you see the blue devil gear combo

chevy knows these new 7.0 and blown 6.2 powerplants are making gobs more tq than the old 346ci powerplants, so they have to make concessions when it comes to tire choices, gearing and the fact they really don't want to throw a spare on the already lightweight package. So, you get runflats and taller gearing than some of the straightline racers would prefer....but thats just the way it is. The target market is broader than that.
Everytime GM adds more HP/TQ via engines ... they go to larger wheels &/or taller gearing. They know the average driver can't safely hook a LS7 or devils power. You are right too about the runflats ... which also hurts holding the power.

Its safety, warranty concerns, and fuel economy ... that cause them to avoid shorter gears and better grip tires.

Last edited by bernrex; 08-15-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TTRotary
It's all in the tires. First off, the F1s have always sucked in the straightline traction department.

I just got my Z51 C6 back with 474 RWHP/438 RWT. It has the M12 gears and 4.10s and 18in rears. The car hooks in 1st and is stupid fast 1st thru 3rd - way quicker than my 06 Z. This is only possible because I am running Nitto R2s (305) on the rear (and 275's front).

I have been running Nitto R tires on the street the last 3 years and have never had a problem. On my C5 Z, they were lasting about as long as the F1s, about 4K miles.

As the saying goes: "Don't fear the gear" ...if you have the tires to handle them.
Beautiful ..... man have you got the performance issue figured out.

Last edited by bernrex; 08-14-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

guys, there is no reliable, proven, tested gear swap for a C6Z. It's vaporware at this point. There's nothing to fear when you have zero options. Thank goodness for a 427 powerband
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Originally Posted by bernrex
Beautiful ..... man have you got the performance issued figured out.
Well I was still suckered into a Z after all, though it was an altruistic decision. Now I have to decide which one stays. Either way, someone's gonna get one heck of a deal on a Corvette.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

what?!?!?!?! rotary, you bought a C6Z after all the crap you've said about the ls7 powerplant??? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

congrats and welcome to the club
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Well I was still suckered into a Z after all, though it was an altruistic decision. Now I have to decide which one stays. Either way, someone's gonna get one heck of a deal on a Corvette.
Describe your car/price

... with some 4.10's from HolyCow & Nitto tires .... it should start performing up to its potential.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6VB
Felt the same going from 03z to 07z but later realized its the gearing 03z 0-42 1st gear 62 max in second /07z 0-62 1st up to 92 in 2nd. Real test for me 07z at 150 plus, you should feel this thing keep pulling hard.
all the way up to 159mph, then you have to shift into 5th gear and it falls flat on it's face. This is where the other cars catch up and pass...
Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
what?!?!?!?! rotary, you bought a C6Z after all the crap you've said about the ls7 powerplant??? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Yep sure did. Just helping out my brother in law who got in over his head and needed some cash to buy a house ASAP (unexpected twins on the way ). First thing I did was have the springs changed, check the rockers to make sure the neddle bearings where they should be, and have the oil pressure verified. So I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

I figured I'd sell the car, but decided to enjoy it for a while. It is after all the greatest Corvette ever made.

bernrex, I'm not selling either one yet. The Z is bone stock and will stay that way. The Coupe has H&C, headers, FAST, gears and so on. I will continue to modify it to get where I think the car should be. Race seats and coilovers are probably next.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM
emaratee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend ,

You're not alone ... I had the same felling when I sold my C6-z51 !!

You are simply suffering for "Pre-3500 RPM Z06 obsessive deceptive Syndrome" !!

Quite common for drivers with no True Z06 - 505 hp established history... it kind runs down the family … don’t worry about it ….

Treatment: Very simple push the car above 3500 ... and hold for dear life .. a well proven medicine ... take it from me it will certainly make you change your mind totally.

Just kidding buddy ... Congrats on the new ride ... it's an awesome machine ..

Read Ranger's comments ... spot-on

cheers
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

quote from clevay
Another factor is how civil this C6Z is compared to the C5Z. You can't hear this damn car for one down low. Especially with the etched windows up and muffler baffles closed. And the ride is almost Cadillac like compared to the C5Z.

I think you hit the nail.

The C5Z has a raspy exhaust and you can feel the car more. The C6Z is very quite and extremely refined. It is a whole different feel and sensation IMO.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
mickvk
Racer

Yeah, the C5 had a huge seat-of-the-pants advantage to me. I want to do one thing - burn rubber. Years ago I test drove a Viper (tall gears) and chose the C5Z (felt way quicker). I bought an '07 with out the luxury of a test drive. It feels just like the Viper - too tall. My C5 could get rubber in first anywhere anytime. Not the C6. It's more likely to glaze the clutch than overcome the gearing and traction it's up against.

I'd sure hate to hack up my 7/70 powertrain warranty. Actually, there's not even a good solution for a gear change. I'm kind of stuck.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep sure did. Just helping out my brother in law who got in over his head and needed some cash to buy a house ASAP (unexpected twins on the way ). First thing I did was have the springs changed, check the rockers to make sure the neddle bearings where they should be, and have the oil pressure verified. So I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

I figured I'd sell the car, but decided to enjoy it for a while. It is after all the greatest Corvette ever made.

bernrex, I'm not selling either one yet. The Z is bone stock and will stay that way. The Coupe has H&C, headers, FAST, gears and so on. I will continue to modify it to get where I think the car should be. Race seats and coilovers are probably next.

Well now, congratulations are in order.

I say that heads and cam coupe will be gone before Christmas. Any takers???

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-15-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Feels Slower than C5 Z06?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 AM
wannagofast
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After dropping a 427 into my C5Z and having a C6Z the one thing for sure is the c5z has major traction problems off the line, 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. It is more of a muscle car to me and has gobs of torque, but every time I drive the 07 Z it feels more refined and stable at high speeds. Once the 07 Z gets past 5000 rpm I would have to say they are about tied for accelleration. I love driving both cars.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Any track times with either?
How much you want for the Z?

Last edited by robz; 08-15-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Neither car will see a dragstrip. I'm not that good at it and I'm afraid of fragging the diff. Roadcourse, yes, and hard canyon driving, the Coupe will see some of that. The Z will remain pampered and stock for now.

Haven't given any thought to pricing on either one. I am frankly hoping my wife will lose interest in this 2-corvette issue, because it is kind of fun having two of these around. I just ordered her new toy (535i) to keep her happy . A couple months driving both and I may have a clearer idea where I'm going. I also have my eye on a '71 whose owner has interest in a C6, so we'll see...

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 Feels Slower than C5 Z06?