Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I was talking exclusively about engine failures, not minor stuff. Do you have data that indicates the LS7 failure rate is higher per capita than similar high-performance engines from Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, MB, or Lamborghini?

Since a couple of those makes above are very low-volume production cars, you would expect the numerical rate to be lower.....there just aren't many of them. It's all about proper comparisons using proper statistical comparisons.

This is not the Honda Accord Forum.

I was driving a friends Enzo about three years ago when the transmission broke at about 200 MPH. It had to go back to Italy and they wanted him to pay for it. He paid $1,775,000 for the car. It was eventually covered under warrenty but he was without the car for 4-5 months. To me, this falls into the catagory Foosh is talking about, major failures. Electro mechanical parts occasionally fail!

Jim
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

FYI the GM OLM takes into account road racing usage... it's been prooved accurate to follow it even w/ HPDE use.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Back to the main subject of this thread....
Of the 8 or so C6 Z06 owners that I know personally here locally, 2 of them blew a motor. One with a broken valvespring, the other with a failed oil pump. Both got new motors installed at the dealership, not BG. Both have been within the last year. The broken valve spring was a 07' with 5k miles. The oil pump was a 06' with 10k miles.

I did a poll on this subject some time ago. If you do a search you might find it......
Old 08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
thee Dragon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Back to the main subject of this thread....
Of the 8 or so C6 Z06 owners that I know personally here locally, 2 of them blew a motor. One with a broken valvespring, the other with a failed oil pump. Both got new motors installed at the dealership, not BG. Both have been within the last year. The broken valve spring was a 07' with 5k miles. The oil pump was a 06' with 10k miles.

I did a poll on this subject some time ago. If you do a search you might find it......

When you say locally, do you mean 2 out of 8 just here in South Florida?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thee Dragon
When you say locally, do you mean 2 out of 8 just here in South Florida?
Yes.... 2 of the 8 I personally know here in S.FL.... Now I see several C6Z06s that I dont know around here, so I cant speak for them. But yes 1/4 of the guys I know in person with C6Z06s have had a replacment motor.

Last edited by C5 Frank; 08-22-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many C6 Z06 Engine Failures